Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [3]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Score Selection: 760 IR 5 vs 740 IR 8 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Great scores! What were your Quant and Verbal subscores (out of 51) on the respective tests?

It's important to consider that some business-school adcoms put more emphasis on the Quant score, or even the Verbal score, so your individual Q/V subscores are a vital yet missing piece of this decision.

GMAT Quant + Verbal Composite Score Conversions and Percentiles (updated for 2020)

Another idea to consider: why not send both? That strategy would make your GMAT "Frankenstein score" aka "superscore" 760 with an 8 on IR, and would allow you to send your two highest subscores on Quant and Verbal. Prestigious business schools such as Wharton and UCLA are now known to consider your Frankenstein score, for example—your best individual section scores on Quant and Verbal from any attempt.

I agree with the commenters above regarding the relative importance of the IR section (and AWA, for that matter), but I think we can all agree that an IR 8 still looks better than an IR 5, and that a 740 composite (97%) is almost as good as a 760 (99%).

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 12 Nov 2020, 21:19.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 26 Nov 2020, 13:00, edited 13 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Gratz and all the best! If you're really concerned one thing you could would be to casually reach out to your intended uni(s) to ask what their thoughts are on such a matter.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: GMAT Score Selection: 760 IR 5 vs 740 IR 8 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think you should go with the 760. All the best. :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
If you're applying to Wharton or UCLA, for example, then you should definitely consider sending both the 740 and the 760: both Wharton and UCLA are now known to consider your Frankenstein score (best individual score on Quant and Verbal from any exam).

https://www.reddit.com/r/MBA/comments/j ... om_wharton
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
If you're applying to Wharton or UCLA, for example, then you should definitely consider sending both the 740 and the 760: both Wharton and UCLA are now known to consider your Frankenstein score (best individual score on Quant and Verbal from any exam).

Hi McElroyTutoring,

Is there any substance apart from the Reddit thread regarding UCLA considering 'Frankenstein' scores? I've score two 710's with very different breakdowns, though the best combined would be a 750. On the flip side, if they were to consider my worst Quant score (a 42) then that could have negative connotations too.

I've received an interview already (with the better Quant exam score) but I'm wondering if I should submit my other GMAT score at this late stage... Any advice?

Thanks! :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
LondonGMATTER wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:

Hi McElroyTutoring,

Is there any substance apart from the Reddit thread regarding UCLA considering 'Frankenstein' scores? I've score two 710's with very different breakdowns, though the best combined would be a 750. On the flip side, if they were to consider my worst Quant score (a 42) then that could have negative connotations too.

I've received an interview already (with the better Quant exam score) but I'm wondering if I should submit my other GMAT score at this late stage... Any advice?

Hi LondonGMATTER,

From an admissions perspective, the GMAT—like the LSAT, the GRE, the SAT and the ACT—has become a game of bests, not averages. Although this policy is not yet officially in writing on the school websites, we have verbal confirmation from representatives of adcoms at both UCLA and Wharton that they do indeed consider your "Frankenstein score"—aka your best Quant and Verbal scores from any sitting, also known as a "superscore." In some cases, the Frankenstein score could even be considered to include your scores on IR and AWA!

I think it's unfair to say that your Frankenstein composite is a 750, though: it's more like a 710 with a high Quant score on one exam, and a high Verbal score on the other. For example, I consider my GMAT superscore / Frankenstein score to be 770, Q50, V48, IR 8, AWA 6, even though Q50/V48 in one sitting is usually a 780 or 790 composite.

In other words, I would Frankenstein the best Quant and Verbal subscores, but keep the highest individual composite / total score, since it's unfair stats-wise for UCLA to add those two scores together to create a 750 composite, but it does show your potential on both sections, albeit on different attempts: the very reason why Frankensteining exists.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 26 Nov 2020, 13:04.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 26 Nov 2020, 19:15, edited 4 times in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
LondonGMATTER wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:

Hi McElroyTutoring,

Hi LondonGMATTER,

From an admissions perspective, the GMAT—like the LSAT, the GRE, the SAT and the ACT—has become a game of bests, not averages. Although this policy is not official on the school websites yet, we have verbal confirmation from representatives of adcoms at both UCLA and Wharton that they do indeed consider your "Frankenstein score"—aka your best Quant and Verbal scores from any sitting.

I think it's unfair to say that your Frankenstein composite is a 750, though: it's more like a 710 with a high Quant on one and a high Verbal on the other.

In other words, I would Frankenstein the best Q and V, but keep the highest individual composite, since it's unfair for UCLA to add those two scores together to create a 750, but it does show your potential on both sections, albeit on different attempts: the very reason why Frankensteining exists.

Hi mcelroytutoring ,

Thanks for your reply. In your opinion, is it worth reaching back out to the AdCom at this stage (3 weeks before decisions) to give them this update or do you think it has no bearing and if anything I could come off as pushy/needy?

Ultimately that's what I'm trying to figure out at this stage.

Thanks very much!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
LondonGMATTER wrote:
Thanks for your reply. In your opinion, is it worth reaching back out to the AdCom at this stage (3 weeks before decisions) to give them this update or do you think it has no bearing and if anything I could come off as pushy/needy?

Ultimately that's what I'm trying to figure out at this stage.

Thanks very much!

No problem! : )

You can always call UCLA to confirm the superscore / Frankenstein policy if you see the need to do so, but there's no need, in my opinion—just go ahead and send the second 710 score as well (the one with the higher Verbal score). Worst-case scenario, the school doesn't see the other score in time, and it has no effect. Best-case scenario, it helps raise your Frankenstein score, due to your superior performance in Verbal on the second exam.

As far as Frankenstein GMAT scores are concerned, your highest GMAT section score on Quant and Verbal is all that matters, regardless of any lower scores (either section or composite) to which they are attached.
GMAT Club Bot