Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [8]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [5]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 798 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body’s blood vessels. {SANAM} pronoun -> here =>plural

(A) comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that SV agreement

(B) comes from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they SV agreement

(C) come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and inhibit { inhibit is not in option but It's not parallel to also found

(D) come from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that

(E) come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they => antioxidants / health benefits of tea ??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Re: Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants [#permalink]
daagh

AjiteshArun

raghavs wrote:
Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body’s blood vessels.

(A) comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that

(B) comes from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they

(C) come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and

(D) come from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that

(E) come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 167: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

By elimination, I could reach to choice D. However, in option D

why is there no comma before "and"?

If I'm not wrong we need a comma before and to join two clauses.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3803 [1]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
sakshamchhabra wrote:

Hi sakshamchhabra,

Actually, two parallel entities here are noun modifiers. "coumponds" is the noun that is modified by following two modifiers:

1. that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C
2. that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body’s blood vessels.

we need not use a comma to connect two modifiers.

in simple form : compounds that are found in xyz and that inhibit the abc.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sakshamchhabra wrote:

My reply is not about this particular question, but about the "comma before and" discussion in general. What you're asking about here is a "pure" style call. That is, there is no broad consensus on the issue, and different people and organizations prescribe different approaches to the same thing. We would, of course, have to apply whatever the GMAT believes is correct, but when has an official source ever told us that it is not possible to put a comma before an and in a list of two items? And if this is something divined from the patterns seen in official questions, how old are those questions, and how many?

I know that we are going to continue seeing this "rule" on the forums, and it probably doesn't hurt to be aware of it, but we should definitely not try to apply it as something that is right up there with subject-verb agreement in terms of reliability. I would actually advise you to avoid applying it completely on the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
EducationAisle

What does the "-" mean in the sentences? Can you elaborate please the uses of "-" in a sentence

Thank you
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
From what I have seen on GMAT, dash is used for elaboration of a preceding phrase (for example, antioxidants in this case).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body’s blood vessels.

Most of the purported health benefits -> SANAM Pronouns -> depend on noun in the of phrase - health benefits -> Plural
Eliminate A & B
(A) comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that -
(B) comes from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they

(C) come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and
No reason to add another clause to describe compounds. A clause used to describe antioxidants need not be separated by hyphen.

The noun modifier is used to describe antioxidants and is separated by hyphen.

(E) come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they
No reason to add another clause to describe compounds. A clause used to describe antioxidants need not be separated by hyphen.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Kudos
Hello experts MartyTargetTestPrep GMATNinja AjiteshArun,
generis

A question regarding answer choice E, if we neglect the fact that there is the answer choice D that is much better than E, could we accept answer choice E as an option that is grammatically correct? What I mean is there are posts that claim that "they" is wrong and it could refer to "health benefits", but in my opinion the only valid antecedent of they is antioxidants(compounds) because health benefits cannot inhibit the formation of plaque... furthermore I cannot find any other "error", so in a scenario that we did not have answer choice D and all the other choices had grammatical errors could we accept answer choice E as the correct answer?

Originally posted by gmexamtaker1 on 26 Nov 2020, 13:34.
Last edited by gmexamtaker1 on 03 Dec 2020, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
[quote="raghavs"]Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body’s blood vessels.

(A) comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that

the pattern in choice E show that "they" refers to "most benefits" because we have 2 independent clauses. so, the subject of the second clause should refer to the subject of the first clause.

of course, this grammatical reference dont make logical meaning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
So we just filmed a live YouTube webinar on the joys of commas, dashes, colons, and semicolons, and this was one of the questions that we... um, could have covered, but decided not to, because an hour whips by quickly, and we had some better examples. But this particular question has a nice, distracting dash, and much of the webinar emphasized the idea that you don't want to get distracted unnecessarily by punctuation on the GMAT.

And the dash isn't terribly interesting here, anyway. The phrase after the dash is a modifier that tells us more about "antioxidants" -- specifically, everything after the dash is a noun ("compounds") with some modifiers attached to it, and the resulting noun phrase just modifies the noun "antioxidants." It's just that some of the versions of the noun phrase make more sense than others.

And I know that I'm a little bit late to the party (the end of pregnancy is awesome!), but hopefully this will still be useful for a few people!

Quote:

The most obvious issue here is the subject-verb agreement: the subject "most of the health benefits" is plural, so "comes" is wrong.

The noun phrase after the dash also has a funny flaw. What the heck is the "that" doing there? It seems to modify "vitamin C" only, and that doesn't make any sense: it's the compounds "that inhibit the formation of plaque", not just the vitamin C.

Either way, (A) is gone.

Quote:

Subject-verb agreement is incorrect again, and that's enough reason to get rid of (B).

Plus, there's really no good reason to end the underlined portion by starting a brand-new clause after the "and." The stuff after the dash is all there as a modifier for "antioxidants", and it's awfully weird to suddenly stick a clause at the end of it. We're much better off if the rest of the sentence just continues to modify "compounds", which is a modifier for "antioxidants."

And even if you don't believe a word I said in that last paragraph, the subject-verb thing is a pretty big deal, so we can ditch (B).

Let's line (C) and (D) up next to each other to make it easier to see which one is better:
Quote:

OK, so the subject-verb agreement is fixed here, so the only thing we need to think about is the modifier that comes after the dash. In (D), we have some nice parallelism: "compounds that are found in beta carotene... and that inhibit the formation of plaque..." Cool, "compounds" is just modified a couple of times.

But in (C), the end of the sentence is structured in a way that makes it seem like "inhibit" and "found" are verbs: "compounds also found in beta carotene... and inhibit the formation of plaque..." That's not cool: we can use the noun phrase beginning with "compounds" as a modifier for the noun "antioxidants" (which is what happens in D), but we can't stick a whole clause in there after the dash as a modifier for "antioxidants" (which is the story in C).

So (C) is out, and we can keep (D).

Quote:

(E) has exactly the same issue as the last part of (B): there's really no good reason to end the underlined portion by starting a brand-new clause after the "and." The stuff after the dash is all there as a modifier for "antioxidants", and it's awfully weird to suddenly stick a clause at the end of it. We're much better off if the rest of the sentence just continues to modify "compounds", which is a modifier for "antioxidants."

(And yes, I cut and pasted some of the text in (B). My wife is in the early bits of labor, so I'm striving for efficiency between contractions. They aren't dramatic yet. TMI? OK, cool. I'll stop now.)

So (D) is the best we can do.

Do we need dash to end the words between them, or is it ok to to use only single dash? If yes, then how do we know that we are no more modifying the noun before the dash?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos