Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2286 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Started studying in Sept...spinning my wheels [#permalink]
Target test prep is the best course for Quant.
And Egmat or Gmatwhiz for Verbal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
Jillilynn wrote:
Hi All,

I started studying in September this year for the GMAT using a math review book- Cliffs review (I’m 33 and have been out of school for 10+ years).

Once I finished that I bought a Magoosh online self-taught GMAT course with 6 tutoring sessions. I studied with Magoosh for a couple weeks and then took the OG diagnostic test like they advised and I failed miserably.

I felt like I wasn’t getting anywhere so I changed course and bought the Manhattan 10 strategy guides and have been going through the chapters each day with a day to review each chapter.

After about an intensive month of this approach, I took the Manhattan diagnostic math test and failed.

I’m starting to get really discouraged. I feel like I’m no closer to improving than I was a month ago. I want to save the Magoosh tutoring sessions for later once I have a better handle on things but I’m kind of at a loss right now.

I feel like I make stupid mistakes a lot but I can’t tell if I’m making silly mistakes every time or if I just don’t have the concepts down. I also have flash cards I review as well. A lot of times I misunderstand the question or focus on the wrong things in the question.

I really wanted to do an in-person prep class, as I really need structure and guidance, but with COVID I don’t think that’s possible. Plus I don’t want to sink any more money into this at the moment and I work full time.

I’m thinking of going through the Manhattan foundations of math book and then retaking the diagnostic test.

I want to take the GMAT in March but I haven’t taken a CAT yet and don’t see the point in taking one when I’m failing these basic math tests. To be realistic, this year is my only shot at applying to business school so this is really it.

Anyone have any advice?

Posted from my mobile device

Hey Jillilynn,

Looks like you are struggling with how to approach your GMAT prep. First understand what is it that is tested on GMAT. Focus your preparation around those points. Choose the right resource which helps you with concepts, methodology, questions and detailed solutions. If it provides a study plan, then it's even more good. I have started with 570 and improved my score to 720 by doing a lot of things differently. I have made a detailed debrief. You can go through it to know a few tips.

Debrief of my journey from 570 to 720

https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-f ... l#p2648110
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
look for micks.
Manhattan GMAT and veritas prep are very close to real mocks.
For tests i have used crackverbal and found hem good too.
Practise is what helps most. Target your questions daily.
Atleast 7 questions per day and more on weekends
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16595 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Started studying in Sept...spinning my wheels [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello Jillilynn,

Don’t give up. You can surely do better.

To assist you better, we would request you to write back with the following questions:

1. What are your current score and target score? (You can mention Diagnostic test score too)
2. How do you rate yourself in Quant and Verbal?

In a generalized way, to crack GMAT, you need a disciplined study plan, command on basic concepts, exposure to agile approaches, reliable resources, updated comprehensive material and mock tests, and an expert with whom you will be connected throughout your preparations.

Many test aspirants are unhappy with their initial practice test scores. We have observed that this is due to either lack of a detailed study plan or some unreliable resources.
We have also observed that the test takers are not aware of the GMAT pattern, which is indeed a must to know before the start of the preparation. Raising the score by 150 to 200 pointers is not tricky, but at the same time, it is not easy too.

A couple of things that can be a noticeable barrier to your scores would be some or all of the below.

• Lack of basic math skills
• Not detailed knowledge of GMAT Math pattern and Question types
• Inefficiency by using time-consuming Conventional method to tackle DS and PS questions still
• No expert support (maybe) who can tutor, analyze, and guide you during your learning
• Lack of many updated questions and practice in the recent exam trend
• Not well aligned with time to solve questions.

Also, make a note of various possible combinations to achieve your target score. The possible scores will help you track your performance after taking the mock or practice test. It will also help you maintain balance in both the sections, and you will always be in a great position to allot the study hours to a specific area accordingly.

We also want to understand how old your diagnostic score is. If it has passed at least two weeks, then as a GMAT instructor, I will first recommend taking our Free diagnostic test https://www.mathrevolution.com/diagnostic/dtExamMember and receiving a comprehensive study guide by topic. This test will clearly help you understand your weak areas.

Start with the learning of the concepts. Make detailed notes so that you can revise it 3 days before your official GMAT test. The most important for you will be learning and commanding the Variable Approach for DS questions and IVY Approach for PS questions. These approaches are the robust self-designed time-saving techniques that will help you learn efficiently, thus raising your score in the quick nick of time.

Adding to the same, mastery of the Variable Approach to solve DS questions and the IVY approach to solve PS questions would add a feather to the cap. Below is the useful link we will recommend you to visit on GMAT club to experience the power of DS and IVY approaches.

Since we are a math expert, we will recommend you go through our post on the GMAT club, which gives a complete break-down of Math. Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... l#p1641411

Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time-management.

Time is precious and unstoppable at the same time. You can schedule a Free counseling session for 20 mins with one of our experts: https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-o ... th=2020-11 for detailed advice on your study plans.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!

Punit Joshi
Math Revolution Team
GMAT Club Bot
Started studying in Sept...spinning my wheels [#permalink]