Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 680 Q40 V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: Right Mindset for GMAT Quant / Mental Fatigue on real Test [#permalink]
Hovkial
Thats exactly what I think happened. I will just take a week of from studying quant and work on my applications. Than I will start with it again and wont do so many mocks close to the exam...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Thanks for suggesting the help with the ESR, will definitely approach you as soon as I bought it. Here are the answers to your questions, hopefully they'll help you.

1) Over the last 3 months, how many hours did you typically study each week?
Typically 8-10 hours per day

2) What study materials have you used over the course of ALL of your studies?
Original Guide + Verbal & Quant extension, Manhatten SC book (perfect), ExamPal from Economics Online Course

3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks?
First 4 mocks 6,5,4,3 weeks before final test (By the way, test 1 and 2 total outliers as those were the tests in which I totally ruined time management). Last 4 tests all in the the two weeks before the exam.

4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?
R2, Typical European Universities for Finance (LSE/LBS/HEC/HSG/Bocconi)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MvGMAT2019,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes and questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
MvGMAT2019 wrote:
Hovkial
Thats exactly what I think happened. I will just take a week of from studying quant and work on my applications. Than I will start with it again and wont do so many mocks close to the exam...

Once you dive back into your prep, if you need any advice, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
MvGMAT2019 wrote:
Dear Gmatclub,

maybe someone might be able to help me out with the following issue. I studied for the Test for 10 weeks and had my first attempt yesterday scoring 680 (Q40/V42). As I want to pursue a MSc in Finance, I guess I need to retake the test because of my low Q score. The following were the scores of my mock exams (always same time/ same conditions as in real test)

590 (Q46/V25) - GmatPrep 1
630 (Q44/V34) - Kaplan
720 (Q47/V42) - GmatPrep 2
690 (Q41/V42) - Manhatten
700 (Q48/V37) - GmatPrep 3
750 (Q48/V45) - GmatPrep 4
720 (Q49/V40) - GmatPrep 5
670 (Q45/V37) - GmatPrep 6

The last CAT was two days before my final test and since this test I really felt tired of the whole thing, especially the Quant section. Somehow, after this test I kept underperforming in Q Problem sets. This whole issue peaked in my desolate Quant score in the real test. I was hoping that someone could tell me how I could get the "Quant Magic" back so I will be able to successfully complete my journey. Big thanks to the community so-far !:)

Hi MvGMAT2019,

If you are confident about your Quant skills and feel that the low quant score was just due to the test day pressure, make sure to give the test with a calm mind this time. But if you feel, there are some areas in which you need to improve, feel free to get in touch so that I can suggest you how to move forward. I would suggest you to learn the right methodology to solve questions rather than just focusing on practicing questions.
  • Analyze the solutions of the questions you have solved
  • Go through each step of the solution
  • Identify the step at which you faltered
  • Narrow down the gaps if any

I wish you all the best for your next attempt. Make sure you don't neglect verbal module while you start focusing on quant. If you need any help with respect to study strategy, you can get in touch with me using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
First of all, you are right. It'll become easier as you give more exams. That's the key. Keep going!

My take-aways on dealing with mental fatigue from my prep till now:

1) Reduce mental friction during your Preparation: Work on your basics and make sure you have mastered an approach for every question type. This will help you in reducing that mental friction (which adds to the overall fatigue). What happens when you work on questions randomly is that you keep re-reading the stem or answer choices. Especially in Verbal because you are not really writing a lot unlike Quant. You need to be clear in Verbal about when you are 'looking' at the question v/s when you are 'working' on the question. This will happen by having a systemic approach and 'active thinking'. Once you make Verbal your friend you will actually feel a bit energetic to go through that last huddle.

2) Dress rehearsal/Visualization/ Stamina building- Re-create the exact test scenario as much as possible. Don't skip AWA/IR (especially in the first few mocks), eat the food you will eat during breaks, test your pacing strategy, try and wear similar clothes, keep some buffer (eg: if there is a brief check before re-entering test room), etc. Basically this is your time to experiment and find your 'ideal' routine. At the same time, don't get too rigid about it all too. Expect that something will change and there will be 'variables' every time. (In my 2nd attempt, there was a 1.5 hour delay as the server wasn't responding and they had to wait to restart it till all the current test-takers took a break. So you can't plan for that :P ) Also, you can visit the test centre. The less anxiety or uncertainty you have, better it is. As anxiety is a subjective thing so you have to be your own best judge on this.

3) Work on your physical health- Exercise and eat right towards the build up of the test day. This will contribute towards the 4 hour marathon. Its always better to not be coughing or sneezing during those 4 hours.

4) Utilize breaks- My way is: I eat 1 or 2 bananas with honey and black/himalayan salt ---> drink water ---> go to the loo ---> splash cold water on my face ---> try to relax my eyes ---> stretch a bit and look at the bigger picture/gain some context (briefly think what just happened and what's next). I try to finish all this in 5-6 minutes. Breaks can help you re-energize. So design your way of working through the break.
GMAT Club Bot