Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Strengthenx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [7]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3152
Send PM
Re: A moderately large city is redesigning its central downtown area and [#permalink]
Little surprised that D is not the correct answer
C says other cities which took measures to make downtown accessible had business there register growth, but nowhere does it say what the measures were and if those were the same as the measures taken by our city
It is very possible that the measures taken by other cities were different ( eg. many freeways, cycle lanes and skywalks build to bring walkers and cyclists from the outskirts) and these measures worked.
But from that we cannot conclude the specific measures taken by our city will work, can we?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: A moderately large city is redesigning its central downtown area and [#permalink]
Kudos
First, I would like to address why this "less worse" choice can be the answer, whereas the answer format "research of other cities/countries/communities shows a similar effect ..." is generally cast out.

chrtpmdr wrote:
Sometimes I hate CR

I can swear that I've seen tons of other questions where the answer format "research from other cities/countries/communities shows that XYZ had a similar effect ..." was classified as out of the scope, yet in this question it is the prefered answer choice again.

Probably could argue hours about this but to me the OA is to ambigous and out of the scope to be the correct answer choice. Imagine that City X is in California while City Y is in Alaska, can we inference that the measure in California would have similar impact as in Alaska? Probably not.

Really hard to see what they want sometimes on CR, feels like sometimes X and sometimes Y.

In general I feel that the CR format of "choose the best out of the worst" is not really a good question format.

Argument of the kind is called inductive argument, which is never 100% valid. However, to evaluate an induction, one has to consider whether the argument is strong, and in this case whether the instances raised are typical.

If you care to go back and review all the previous eliminated choices, you might figure that those choices have never mentioned other similar cities/countires/communities. Here choice (C) clearly shows the intent to indicate similarity by saying other moderately sized cities, the only property we know about the city in question from the stem. Choice (C) is not perfect, but it gets the job done.

Then, I am on about why (D) is absolutely wrong. With all due respect, the answer is not as the expert explained below. The problem is not in the least subtle.
VeritasKarishma wrote:
The problem with (D) is very subtle.

Take a simpler example.

Me: I want to lose 10 pounds.
Dietician: I am giving you this diet chart.

Will I lose 10 pounds?

A: Other people who were GIVEN this diet chart lost 10 pounds.
B: If you FOLLOW this diet strictly, you will lose 10 pounds.

One has to predict whether I will lose 10 pounds. What helps in saying whether I will or not? Does A help or B help?
All one knows is that I got the diet chart. If other people who got the diet chart lost pounds, it does make it more likely that I will lose too. So A helps.
Does one know whether I will follow the diet chart strictly? No. One needs more information for that to help.

Though I admit, this is a tough one. I know that if situations are comparable, a success story of another town is a strengthener for a success story here so (C) certainly helps.
On the other hand, I am not sure how much leeway is left for the drivers when one reduces the number of lanes. But one is not allowed to question the OG answers hence there is some learning here.

Aruni1991 wrote:
Little surprised that D is not the correct answer
C says other cities which took measures to make downtown accessible had business there register growth, but nowhere does it say what the measures were and if those were the same as the measures taken by our city
It is very possible that the measures taken by other cities were different ( eg. many freeways, cycle lanes and skywalks build to bring walkers and cyclists from the outskirts) and these measures worked.
But from that we cannot conclude the specific measures taken by our city will work, can we?

(D) reads, I quote,
If the proposed lane restrictions on drivers are rigorously enforced, more people will likely be attracted to downtown businesses than would otherwise be.

"than would otherwise be". Let's read the sentence again, and see what exactly "the otherwise" means. The negation of "the restrictions are rigorously enforced" is "the restrictions are not rigorously enforced". (D) is comparing the scenario where the plan is rigorously enforced with the alternative where the plan is otherwise (not so rigorously) enforced. Keep this in mind for a moment.

In the argument, the author are trying to convince that the plan can reduce #of vehicles and increase #of pedestrains, and then somehow the business will be better off. The issue in question is that whether and why the plan can beneifit downtown businesses. We are not even sure about the plan itself, let alone the implementation. We are by no means discussing how to execute the plan. I couldn't care less whether the restrictions are rigorously enforced or not. The choice (D) is simply out of scope.

Hope you find my reasoning helpful!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Quote:
The intent is to attract more workers and shoppers to downtown businesses by making downtown easier to reach and more pleasant to move around in.

Statement says: attracting more pleasant to move around--> workers and shoppers --> downtown business

When I look for the options, Can the following scope be considered ?
Optio1: attracting more pleasant to move around --> PEOPLE ( skaters, riders, other drivers) --> downtown business
(not workers and shoppers: but other people who may or may not go for shopping ) – so this is OUT OF SCOPE?

Option2: attracting more pleasant to move around --> workers and shoppers
these workers and shoppers MAY OR MAY NOT BUY . They may not contribute in business -this can still be considered in SCOPE because it is still in line of reasoning?

Option3: attracting tourism ( other activities than pleasant to move around in) --> workers and shoppers--> downtown business-
( attract workers and shoppers for shopping but by other activities such as parties, or tourism)- this statement would also be OUT OF SCOPE?

Please give your suggestion and expert opinion VeritasKarishma GMATNinja AjiteshArun DavidTutorexamPAL AnishPassiTGC
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Quote:
The intent is to attract more workers and shoppers to downtown businesses by making downtown easier to reach and more pleasant to move around in.

Statement says: attracting more pleasant to move around--> workers and shoppers --> downtown business

When I look for the options, Can the following scope be considered ?
Optio1: attracting more pleasant to move around --> PEOPLE ( skaters, riders, other drivers) --> downtown business
(not workers and shoppers: but other people who may or may not go for shopping ) – so this is OUT OF SCOPE?

Option2: attracting more pleasant to move around --> workers and shoppers
these workers and shoppers MAY OR MAY NOT BUY . They may not contribute in business -this can still be considered in SCOPE because it is still in line of reasoning?

Option3: attracting tourism ( other activities than pleasant to move around in) --> workers and shoppers--> downtown business-
( attract workers and shoppers for shopping but by other activities such as parties, or tourism)- this statement would also be OUT OF SCOPE?

Please give your suggestion and expert opinion VeritasKarishma GMATNinja AjiteshArun DavidTutorexamPAL AnishPassiTGC

I am not sure what your question is. From whatever I have understood, I can say that 1 and 3 mentioned by you are irrelevant to the argument.

The aim is to attract more 'workers and shoppers' so more people who will work at these businesses and more people who will shop at these businesses. Whether the plan is successful in attracting tourists or children who want to play there is irrelevant. We need to evaluate whether the goal (attract more workers and shoppers) will be achieved.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 425
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Mizar18 wrote:
This is OE, option (C) vs (D):

(C) Correct. If other moderately sized cities that have made their downtown areas more accessible to pedestrians and cyclists have seen their downtown businesses begin to thrive soon afterwards, this is evidence—even if not conclusive—that the changes produced the thriving. Consequently, it is reasonable to think that the same will result for the city in question.

(D)It might be the case that rigorously enforcing lane restrictions will attract more people to downtown businesses than would otherwise be the case, but the information provided does not indicate how strictly lane restrictions will be enforced.

(D) compares the wrong things.

The conclusion is, essentially, that, by reducing the number of lanes for automobiles and trucks and increasing those for bicycles and pedestrians, the city will cause more workers and shoppers to be attracted to downtown businesses.

So, the comparison involved in the conclusion is between the city without the lane changes and the city with the lane changes.

(D) is about another comparison.

Here's (D).

(D) If the proposed lane restrictions on drivers are rigorously enforced, more people will likely be attracted to downtown businesses than would otherwise be.

So, (D) is not about lane changes or no lane changes. (D) is about enforcement or no enforcement.

It could be that the lane changes will destroy the attractiveness of the downtown area, but even so, at least if the restrictions are rigorously enforced, more people will be attracted to the downtown area than otherwise would be.

Overall, it could be that, if the changes are implemented but not rigorously enforced, things will be a total mess, or not as good as they would otherwise be.

So, (D) could be true, and it could also be true that the changes themselves will not make the downtown area more attractive.

Thus, (D) is not a clear strengthener.

MartyTargetTestPrep VeritasKarishma
Greetings,
In the spirit of incessantly fanning the flames of disagreement on this, arguably controversial, post, I have a query. Naturally, it's about D not being the right answer choice.

(D) If the proposed lane restrictions on drivers are rigorously enforced, more people will likely be attracted to downtown businesses than would otherwise be.

Say the lane restrictions are implemented, but not rigorously enforced, does option D not imply that there would still be an increase? The "than otherwise would be" implies that the rigorous enforcement of the restrictions would bring about an even greater increase in footfall at the downtown area than the increase that would arise from the unrigorous enforcement of the restrictions.
I agree that we have no idea how minuscule or immense the increase will be, but it is an increase all the same. Does this not support the argument in the prompt?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ShreyasJavahar wrote:
Greetings,

In the spirit of incessantly fanning the flames of disagreement on this, arguably controversial, post, I have a query. Naturally, it's about D not being the right answer choice.

Say the lane restrictions are implemented, but not rigorously enforced, does option D not imply that there would still be an increase? The "than otherwise would be" implies that the rigorous enforcement of the restrictions would bring about an even greater increase in footfall at the downtown area than the increase that would arise from the unrigorous enforcement of the restrictions.
I agree that we have no idea how minuscule or immense the increase will be, but it is an increase all the same. Does this not support the argument in the prompt?

The fact of the matter is that (D) says nothing about an increase.

Presumably, people are already "attracted to downtown businesses." So, attracting more people than otherwise would be attracted could result in a decrease, an increase, or no change in the number of people attracted if the proposed lane restrictions are implemented.

In other words, we don't know what the effect of implementing the lane restrictions will be. Maybe implementing the restrictions will cause a decrease, in which case rigorously enforcing the restrictions could merely mitigate the decrease. In that case, more people than otherwise would be attracted would mean not as much of a decrease as there might otherwise have been.

You read into (D) something that it does not actually say.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
chiranjeev VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

Can you please help me clear my doubt?
Can we say that every strengthener ques. is an arg.?
Also, Is my understanding below is correct for this ques.?
Premise = 2nd statement & Conclusion = 1st statement
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
KanikaG16 wrote:
chiranjeev VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

Can you please help me clear my doubt?
Can we say that every strengthener ques. is an arg.?
Also, Is my understanding below is correct for this ques.?
Premise = 2nd statement & Conclusion = 1st statement

KanikaG16

I don't understand "arg". Do you mean argument? Everything above the question stem is the given argument.
This question gives you a plan. In these questions, you need to focus on the plan and its aim (which acts as your conclusion) You need to strengthen the success of the plan.

Plan: reduce the number of lanes for automobiles and trucks and increase those for bicycles and pedestrians.

Aim: The intent is to attract more workers and shoppers to downtown businesses by making downtown easier to reach and more pleasant to move around in.

You need to add something that will increase the probability that the plan will attract more workers and shoppers by making downtown easier to reach and more pleasant to move around in.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 623
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Judge '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.1
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I am not perfectly sure about C as it states that correlation = causation. The conclusion seems to proof a causation. In this similar question created by MGMAT answer D is wrong because of a correlation = causation mistake.

MGMAT Q:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/officials-of ... 12027.html

GMATNinja and others, please help to explain

Cheers
Rudolf
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
AndrewN, I did get this question right but like a lot of people, I am still not totally convinced as to why C is better than D. Your take on this?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [10]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos