Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [3]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and [#permalink]
Hoozan wrote:
ChiranjeevSingh GMATNinja

I was down to option A and option B. The reason I let go of option B is because

(B) Those who support subsidies are not significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies.

Negation of (B) Those who support subsidies are significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies.

Now lets say there are 10 people who are supporters while there are 1M who aren't. So we can have a case where 9/10 supporters vote and only a handful of the total op-posers i.e.. 1k/1M vote.

We see that even though supporters are significantly more likely to vote (9/10) as compared to op-posers (1K/1M) --This doesn't break the conclusion that "political candidates would increase their likelihood of being elected if they oppose such subsidies."

On the other hand if we see (A)

A. Most voters are well-informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies.

Negation of A : Not Most / some voters are well-informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies

If the voters are less informed how would they vote for their candidate based on them opposing the subsidy?

VeritasKarishma could you please help me with @hoozan's point? I have the same doubt and I used the same quantitative reasoning to reject B.
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo ChiranjeevSingh @CJAnish- Please see if you can help.

Thanking you in advance.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2330 [2]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The gist of the argument is: most people see industry-specific subsidies as unfavorable. Consequently, political candidates would increase their likelihood of being elected if they oppose such subsidies.

Other things aside, I see that there is a 'being' in the conclusion :)

Let's say that I make this argument that since a majority of horses in the world are white and the remaining are black, a white horse is more likely to win a horse race than a black horse.

What if somebody says black horses are significantly more likely to participate in a horse race than white horses?

My premise was just that there are more white horses than black horses (of course, there is no upper limit to 'most', but the guaranteed information is that it is at least slightly greater than 50% i.e. there are more white horses than black horses). Now, somebody says black horses are significantly more likely to participate. In light of this information and my premise, do we know horses of which color are going to participate more in the races? No. Then, which one is more likely to win? Don't know. That's how the argument breaks down.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and [#permalink]
ChiranjeevSingh wrote:
The gist of the argument is: most people see industry-specific subsidies as unfavorable. Consequently, political candidates would increase their likelihood of being elected if they oppose such subsidies.

Let's say that I make this argument that since a majority of horses in the world are white and the remaining are black, a white horse is more likely to win a horse race than a black horse.

What if somebody says black horses are significantly more likely to participate in a horse race than white horses?

My premise was just that there are more white horses than black horses (of course, there is no upper limit to 'most', but the guaranteed information is that it is at least slightly greater than 50% i.e. there are more white horses than black horses). Now, somebody says black horses are significantly more likely to participate. In light of this information and my premise, do we know horses of which color are going to participate more in the races? No. Then, which one is more likely to win? Don't know. That's how the argument breaks down.

Thanks ChiranjeevSingh for such a quick reply.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ChiranjeevSingh wrote:

ChiranjeevSingh
Do you think this is a good Assumption question?

Also, I have a follow up doubt.

I think in option A also we could get cases in which the answer would come "Don't know."
A case that came to my mind is suppose there are a total of 100 people and 51 are aware and 49 are not. And suppose these people are just aware and don't vote and the 49 are not aware. And these 49 can vote either for a candidate who favours or for a candidate who doesn't. At last we wouldn't know who is more likely to win.

Please guide me where my reasoning is going wrong.
Thanking in advance.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:
Hoozan wrote:

(B) Those who support subsidies are not significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies.

Negation of (B) Those who support subsidies are significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies.

Now lets say there are 10 people who are supporters while there are 1M who aren't. So we can have a case where 9/10 supporters vote and only a handful of the total op-posers i.e.. 1k/1M vote.

We see that even though supporters are significantly more likely to vote (9/10) as compared to op-posers (1K/1M) --This doesn't break the conclusion that "political candidates would increase their likelihood of being elected if they oppose such subsidies."

A. Most voters are well-informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies.

Negation of A : Not Most / some voters are well-informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies

If the voters are less informed how would they vote for their candidate based on them opposing the subsidy?

VeritasKarishma could you please help me with @hoozan's point? I have the same doubt and I used the same quantitative reasoning to reject B.

Thanking you in advance.

ashmit99:

When governments subsidize certain industries, owners and employees of those industries benefit
But the majority of consumers suffer.
Unsurprisingly, polling indicates that most people see industry-specific subsidies as unfavorable.

Conclusion: Political candidates would increase their likelihood of being elected if they oppose such subsidies.

Notice the conclusion "candidates would increase your likelihood of being elected" if they oppose subsidies. It is based on the premise that most people do not favour subsidies.
The question is: do these "most people who oppose subsidies" vote? What if very few of them vote and many of the ones who favour subsidies vote. Then you may be alienating a bigger chunk. Then can we say that you increase your likelihood of being elected? No, we cannot say it. Whether we actually increase or decrease our likelihood will depend on the actual numbers, but we cannot conclude that you will increase your likelihood of being elected. Hence our conclusion fails and that is what (B) says.

Negated (A): Most voters are NOT well-informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies.

Doesn't matter. Say only 30% voters are informed. The increase in votes that we are expecting will come from this 30% instead of 100%. The increase in votes may not be a whole lot but it will be an increase. That will increase the likelihood of being elected. It may not be enough to get elected but it will increase the likelihood of getting elected and that is all we are talking about. (A) is only decreasing the overall pool. It is not increasing/reducing relative number of opposers/supporters.

Answer (B)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
ashmit99 wrote:
Hoozan wrote:

Thanking you in advance.

ashmit99:

When governments subsidize certain industries, owners and employees of those industries benefit
But the majority of consumers suffer.
Unsurprisingly, polling indicates that most people see industry-specific subsidies as unfavorable.

Conclusion: Political candidates would increase their likelihood of being elected if they oppose such subsidies.

Notice the conclusion "candidates would increase your likelihood of being elected" if they oppose subsidies. It is based on the premise that most people do not favour subsidies.
The question is: do these "most people who oppose subsidies" vote? What if very few of them vote and many of the ones who favour subsidies vote. Then you may be alienating a bigger chunk. Then can we say that you increase your likelihood of being elected? No, we cannot say it. Whether we actually increase or decrease our likelihood will depend on the actual numbers, but we cannot conclude that you will increase your likelihood of being elected. Hence our conclusion fails and that is what (B) says.

Negated (A): Most voters are NOT well-informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies.

Doesn't matter. Say only 30% voters are informed. The increase in votes that we are expecting will come from this 30% instead of 100%. The increase in votes may not be a whole lot but it will be an increase. That will increase the likelihood of being elected. It may not be enough to get elected but it will increase the likelihood of getting elected and that is all we are talking about. (A) is only decreasing the overall pool. It is not increasing/reducing relative number of opposers/supporters.

Answer (B)

VeritasKarishma

I think in option A also we could get cases in which the answer would come "Don't know."
A case that came to my mind is suppose there are a total of 100 people and 51 are aware and 49 are not. And suppose these people are just aware and don't vote and the 49 are not aware. And these 49 can vote either for a candidate who favours or for a candidate who doesn't. At last we wouldn't know who is more likely to win.

Thanking in advance.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:

Thanking in advance.

Option (A) tells you something about the general public. That would be applicable to everyone if no distinction has been made in the option. The option does not say that opposers are not aware or supporters are not aware. It just says that more than 50% people are aware so we are negating it to mean less than 50% are aware. Who constitutes that less than 50% - the general public - which we have no reason to believe would be anything other than supporters and opposers in the same ratio as that in the complete population.
What proportion votes and what proportion doesn't has not been introduced in this option.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts