Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Wharton '23
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Wharton '23
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation for deferred Programs [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think impact is up to you to define, but basically it just means - how have you made things better? Have you taken initiative to start anything new, solve problems, strengthen relationships, expand whatever was being accomplished in your clubs or past internships?

In terms of job search, don't pursue something because you think it's what they will want on the application -- you have to live with your choice your whole life, so do something you feel passionate about. I agree that they TEND to stay away from more conventional path candidates, only because that's what the program was originally attended to do - draw people they'd miss otherwise or those who might need a leg up. But don't make a decision for that reason...do what you truly want to do. It's still fine to apply and take a chance and if they pass, no big deal - you can reapply in a few years.

Good luck!!

Warmly,
Julie-Anne
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
DanTe02 wrote:
Hi there I'd like to know my strengths and weaknesses and what chances do i have at HBS,Kellog , CBS, and Wharton deferred programs
I'll try not to exaggerate stuff and keep it as short as possible
Age-21/Male
Nationality-Indian
My Profile:
Academic :
GMAT:750(Hoping to give gmat soon with a 770+)
Degree:Chemical Engineering
GPA 8/10 (First distinction and honors)
Studying at one of the oldest engineering schools,university ranking varies from rank 10-20 in India, 150-200 in Asia Rankings, and steady at 600-800 in QS world
Background:
Coming from low economical background.I could not afford top tier colleges and had to go with the best cheapest college (My annual college fee is 140$). I want to pursue entrepreneurship in energy sector and come from a very small town.
Extras-
General: I have been playing chess since 8 years old and as of today I am an International Master by FIDE online rating. I have won every year at my university level and I played state and national level chess during high school.
Things I did at college:
E-Cell: So I have an Entrepreneurship cell at my college (E-cell). I did a ton of work there as member and president such as teaching students about business foundations(I first self-learnt from books,courses and online and then taught my peers) and I launched 3 startups within my college(persuaded students to work and played an integral role in all the 3 startups) whereas in history in last 5 years no startup was launched within it.
Research: I published few review papers on energy sector while I was learning about it
Volunteering experience: Have decent things here like conducting eye tests , health check-ups and planting tree
Others:Stuff like head designer of the college magazine, Completed like 10 courses from Harvard (data analytics) and 10 with Wharton (Coursera) and Placement representative
International exp.: I was a part of international student exchange program for 2 months
Internships: Due to covid I had a virtual internship with a national organization which provided an opportunity for chemical engg students probably 600 students were enrolled in that
May soon intern at McKinsey or ExxonMobil if got another shot

Hey there!

I would like to start off by saying that you have a pretty competitive profile.

To commence your profile evaluation, I would say that your academic background is quite strong. Your GPA of 8.0 not only displays your academic prowess but also opens a lot of opportunities and doors to top business schools for you. Moreover, your undergraduate brand is another strong suit in your profile as top b-schools tend to favor applicants hailing from top schools of their country.

Moreover, your GMAT score of 750 is very competitive as well and further goes on to authenticate your academic skills by showcasing your aptitude and worthiness for a business program.

The semester abroad as part of your student exchange program adds the international aspect to your profile and aids in showcasing the global outlook and broadened perspective you must have gained through the experience.

Further on the note of extracurricular, you must be cognizant of the fact that schools seek applicants having a holistic profile. Hence, it is great to see that you have partaken in a wide array of extracurricular. Your involvement in chess and your achievement on a national level showcase your competitive spirit, while your experiences in the entrepreneurship cell align well with your future goals and display the breadth of knowledge you must have accumulated during the stint. Your research in the energy sector highlights the intensive knowledge you must have built on the topic and further embellishes the academic aspect of your profile. Furthermore, your experience in the volunteering activities goes on to showcase your community involvement, a trait held in high regards by the top B-schools. You also have leadership experiences as part of the design head, hence I would say that overall you have a well-rounded profile.

Coming on to your work experience, the virtual internship in a national organization is a fairly decent experience, however, you should be mindful of the fact that due to the highly competitive nature of the program, you’d be competing against candidates from Big4 companies. Hence, I would recommend that you try your best to bag the internship at McKinsey or ExxonMobil as it would help you be on par with the competition.

Given your school choices, due to the highly competitive nature of the deferred program, all of the schools fall under the dream category. This means that they have a very low acceptance rate of 7-10%. Hence, you stand a 40% chance of getting into the program - Stanford University, HBS 2+2, Yale school of management, Columbia University, Chicago Booth Scholars Program, University of Virginia, University of Iowa, etc

As you are applying to a deferred MBA program, you are going to face tough competition from other candidates and a high amount of scrutiny from the admissions committee. Hence, it is important to craft an application that helps set you apart from the competition. A strong application holds 30% of weightage in the entire admission process and as you would be competing with other candidates with similar strong profiles, it becomes imperative that you craft an application that successfully highlights not only your caliber but also your potential to add value to the school.

Lastly, since you wish to apply to some of the top-notch and highly competitive schools in the world, I’d suggest you book a free consultation call with our expert consultants who would clear any doubts you may have regarding the admission process and would help you chalk out a winning strategy that can boost your chances of acceptance by 3x!

LINK for the FREE Consultation Call:

https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appointment-form/

Hope this helped!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi there, I would like to know what chances do I have for deferred admissions at HBS, Booth and Columbia Business School based on the below mentioned profile:

Age 21/ Indian Male

Academics:
GMAT: Expected 750
GPA: 8/10
Degree: Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering
College Ranking: My college used to rank in Top 20 in India around 6 years back but due to some issues its ranking has significantly decreased. It around 50 now (I don't know how the admission committee will view this)
Scored 99.08 %tile in CAT'20 (Common Admission Test for MBA admissions in India)

Work Experience:
5 months internship with Amazon India as Operations Manager:
- Led 2 major and 2 minor projects from scratch and delivered results increasing operational efficiency (Financially Salvageable value of $100K per year for Amazon)
-Received a Placement Offer (will be joining in June'21)

2 months internship at a startup as a Business Analyst
- Did some research work and completed 2 basic analytics projects

College Extracurriculars:
- Batch Representative (Mechanical'21)
- Joint Head of Creative and Marketing Committees of College
- Honored with Certificate of Appreciation by the Director for my work in College Committees
- Member of Organizing Committee for College's Cultural Fest
- Volunteered under National Service Scheme (NSS Chapter PEC) and helped in Audio recording for Blind Students and Free education for underprivileged students
- Certifications in Business Strategy and Corporate Strategy from Coursera

Also, please suggest what can I do to improve my profile?
Does learning an international language like French or German add value to my application?
Moderator:
1452 posts