Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 424 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 LBS '22
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 531
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.55
WE:Project Management (Insurance)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: An outstanding architect who came into the limelight [#permalink]
NarlankaVijay wrote:
daagh wrote:
An outstanding architect who came into the limelight around the turn of the 19th century to attain knighthood in the twentieth century, Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials and public layouts , and not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, and among which most notably was New Delhi known as the Lutyens Delhi.

A. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials, and public layouts and not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, and among which most notably was New Delhi,

B. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens had designed not only many private houses, war memorials and public estates in the UK but also in several parts of the World, most notably in New Delhi,

C. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials, and public layouts, and not only in the UK but so in several parts of the World, among which was most notably in New Delhi,

D. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many English private houses, war memorials, and public layouts not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, the most notable of which was New Delhi,

E. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials, and public layouts not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, most notable of which was in New Delhi,

Posted from my mobile device

Reason for why option D is correct :

A&C : ‘and public layouts and not only in the UK but also’ is not idiomatic.

B : ‘had designed not only many private houses, war memorials and public estates in the UK but also in several parts’ is ungrammatical & unidiomatic.

Of D & E , I chose E because of ‘most notable of which was in New Delhi,’. This refers to a building in New Delhi.
But the intended meaning & also a fact is ‘Lutyens Delhi’ is a city. (Despite being from India, I didn’t know this fact until I came across this question)
The author intended to say that Lutyens built houses etc not in Uk but also other places out of which Lutyens Delhi is very famous.

I somehow do not get your explanation on your understanding of the intended meaning. Even if you have known that Luytens Delhi is a city, you are trying to compare what Luytens designed (houses) vs a city.
This comparison does not make sense in D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 531
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.55
WE:Project Management (Insurance)
Send PM
santorasantu wrote:
NarlankaVijay wrote:
daagh wrote:
An outstanding architect who came into the limelight around the turn of the 19th century to attain knighthood in the twentieth century, Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials and public layouts , and not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, and among which most notably was New Delhi known as the Lutyens Delhi.

A. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials, and public layouts and not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, and among which most notably was New Delhi,

B. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens had designed not only many private houses, war memorials and public estates in the UK but also in several parts of the World, most notably in New Delhi,

C. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials, and public layouts, and not only in the UK but so in several parts of the World, among which was most notably in New Delhi,

D. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many English private houses, war memorials, and public layouts not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, the most notable of which was New Delhi,

E. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials, and public layouts not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, most notable of which was in New Delhi,

B : ‘had designed not only many private houses, war memorials and public estates in the UK but also in several parts’ is ungrammatical & unidiomatic.

Of D & E , I chose E because of ‘most notable of which was in New Delhi,’. This refers to a building in New Delhi.
But the intended meaning & also a fact is ‘Lutyens Delhi’ is a city. (Despite being from India, I didn’t know this fact until I came across this question)
The author intended to say that Lutyens built houses etc not in Uk but also other places out of which Lutyens Delhi is very famous.

I somehow do not get your explanation on your understanding of the intended meaning. Even if you have known that Luytens Delhi is a city, you are trying to compare what Luytens designed (houses) vs a city.

The comparison here is with ‘not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World’ . Hence this must be compared to another place bot a building.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
An outstanding architect who came into the limelight [#permalink]
Quote:

The comparison here is with ‘not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World’ . Hence this must be compared to another place bot a building.

That makes the sentence even more confusing because of the usage of "...in the UK...in the several parts". I still do not understand your explanation on parallelism issue in this question.
If you think of what "which" refers to in the last part of the sentence, then you can understand the ambiguity in this question.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Santo
you are entitled to hold your views
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Dear Sir,
from my point of view
D) says, he built 1,2 & 3 in both uk & other places , notable of all three is New Delhi
E) says, he built 1,2 & 3 in both uk & other places , notable of all three is in New Delhi

i choose E with same opinion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Initially I chose E as the answer. But after doing a thorough analysis of choices D and E, choice D seems to make more logical sense compared to choice E.
Choice E says most notable of which was in New Delhi. What was in New Delhi? There is no specific answer to this question. Thus choice E presents an ambiguous meaning.
Whereas choice D clearly says, the most notable of which was New Delhi. The list presents different kinds of architectures-private houses, war memorials, and public layouts. Thus the list can be treated as a list of architectures. The most notable of which(architecture) was New Delhi. New Delhi itself is an architecture, product of Lutyens design.
Please correct my reasoning, in case I am wrong.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
Send PM
GMATNinja - please explain why D is the correct answer

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
daagh wrote:

After reading the explanation I can understand why option D is correct but does it require us to have external knowledge that Landseer Lutyens designed New Delhi, as I do not see any issue in option C other than the meaning difference from D. And if somebody does not know that Lutyens designed Delhi then it is not possible to choose D as the right option (IMO)
or is there anything that I am missing?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
arya251294 wrote:
daagh wrote:

After reading the explanation I can understand why option D is correct but does it require us to have external knowledge that Landseer Lutyens designed New Delhi, as I do not see any issue in option C other than the meaning difference from D. And if somebody does not know that Lutyens designed Delhi then it is not possible to choose D as the right option (IMO)

Hello arya251294,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

Option C also incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "not only...but so" rather than the idiomatic construction "not only...but also".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
arya251294 wrote:
daagh wrote:

Hello arya251294,

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

Option C also incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "not only...but so" rather than the idiomatic construction "not only...but also".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Ohh my bad, I meant to say option 'E' not option 'C'.

Can you help now ? ExpertsGlobal5 Experts' Global Team

Originally posted by arya251294 on 15 Dec 2021, 06:24.
Last edited by arya251294 on 15 Dec 2021, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutyens%27_Delhi

Lutyens' Delhi is an area in New Delhi, (first line of Wikipedia page) seems like ans is E, also nowhere in the question it is given he was designing city layouts. Also don't expect us to know whether a person has designed a city or a part of it
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
GMATNinja and EMPOWERgmatVerbal
Can you please help with this annoying question?? 😬

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
It was simple for me, may be due to the fact that I stay in New Delhi and I know he designed New Delhi and not a place ' in New Delhi' (So B, C and E are out).

A is incorrect because 'among' is used to pick one from many and in this sentence only one city is mentioned
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
arya251294 wrote:

Ohh my bad, I meant to say option 'E' not option 'C'.

Can you help now ? ExpertsGlobal5 Experts' Global Team

Hello arya251294,

Thank you for the clarification.

To resolve your doubt, Please take a look at Option A. Here, the use of the phrase "among which most notably was New Delhi" conveys that the most notable of Lutyen's works is New Delhi. As this meaning is a logical one, we can assume that it is the intended meaning.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3.26
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I am confused between D & E .
D- "which was New Delhi" If we don't have any historical pretext then statement here shows that whole Delhi was designed by the Architect
E- "which was in New Delhi" removes this ambiguity and talks about Luteyns in New Delhi.
Also there was another marker in D i.e. the use of "The most" superlative form which is missing in E
If we go with the meaning of the sentence then E is the right option and if we go with the superlative form then D.
Please elaborate if anyone has better explanation.

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
arjunb9 wrote:
D- "which was New Delhi" If we don't have any historical pretext then statement here shows that whole Delhi was designed by the Architect
E- "which was in New Delhi" removes this ambiguity and talks about Luteyns in New Delhi.
Also there was another marker in D i.e. the use of "The most" superlative form which is missing in E
If we go with the meaning of the sentence then E is the right option and if we go with the superlative form then D.

Agreed Arjun. Also, option D, almost out of nowhere, introduces the word "English" (English private houses). Haven't really seen official GMAT questions testing you on these kind of things.
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
arjunb9 wrote:

Hello arjunb9,

As we explained above, to resolve this confusion please take a look at Option A. Here, the use of the phrase "among which most notably was New Delhi" conveys that the most notable of Lutyen's works is New Delhi. As this meaning is a logical one, we can assume that it is the intended meaning. Thus, D is the correct answer choice. Further, Option E does use a superlative form "most notable of which"; it merely drops the preposition "the".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts