Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19726 [98]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1552 [31]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [7]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 490 Q44 V15
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GRE 1: Q165 V155
GPA: 3.05
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [1]
Send PM
Re: Patricia purchased x meters of fencing. She originally intended to use [#permalink]
Kudos
One important concept: Since we are talking about the ENCLOSING, we will bother about the PERIMETER.
So, the same length of rope/fencing will be used as perimeters of SQUARE and the rectangle.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [2]
Send PM
Re: Patricia purchased x meters of fencing. She originally intended to use [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
St-1: 256 can be factorized many ways. So, Not sufficient

St-2:
In case of Square, Area = S*S
In case of Rectangle, Area = (S-2)*(S+2)
Now, difference = S*S - (S-2)*(S+2) = 2^2 = 4
So, sufficient.
Then ans. is B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [6]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Statistics, Marketing
GPA: 3.44
WE:Consulting (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Fence is \(x\). So, for the square, each side is \(\frac{x}{4}\). So area of the square is \(\frac{x^2}{16}\)
(we can cut \(\frac{y}{2}\) meter from any two sides of the \(\frac{x}{4}\) square and add \(\frac{y}{2}\) meter to the other sides to form rectangle.)
For the rectangle,
width = \(\frac{x}{4 } - \frac{y}{2}\).
Then, length = \(\frac{x}{4 }+\frac{y}{2}\)
\(area= length*width=\) \((\frac{x}{4}+\frac{y}{2})(\frac{x}{4}-\frac{y}{2}) = \frac{x^2}{16} - \frac{y^2}{4}; Since, {a^2-b^2 =(a+b)(a-b)}\)
Then the difference is \(|\frac{x^2}{16} - \frac{x^2}{16} + \frac{y^2}{4} |\)
which is \(\frac{y^2}{4}\)
so, for any \(x\) and \(y\) value, the difference of the area will always be \(\frac{y^2}{4}\).
we need only \(y\) value to know the difference.
From statement 1, \(xy=256\) : we need to know by heart that this statement will never give any unique value of \(y\) and \(x\).
Statement 2 is giving exactly what we need. \(y=4\).
so, the difference in area is 4.
Answer: B
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [5]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The x metres of fencing that Patricia purchased represents the perimeter of the geometrical objects mentioned. From this information, we need to find the areas and hence the difference between the areas.

If we assume the side of the square as ‘a’, the perimeter would be 4a and we can say x = 4a.

If we assume the width of the rectangle as b, its length will be b+y. Therefore, the perimeter would be 4b + 2y and so we can say x = 4b + 2y.

Equating the two perimeters (since both represent x) and simplifying, we get,
a = b + \(\frac{y}{2}\).
Therefore, area of the square = \(a^2\) = \((b + \frac{y}{2})^2\) = \(b^2\) + \(y^2\) + by.

Area of the rectangle = b ( b+y) = \(b^2\) + by.

Clearly, the area of the square is bigger and hence the positive difference in the areas = Area of the square – Area of the rectangle = \(y^2\). This way, we now know that we need the value of y to answer the question.

The value of y is given in statement II. Therefore, statement II alone is sufficient.

Statement I alone is insufficient since it does not give us a unique value for y and hence doesn’t give us a unique answer to the question.
The correct answer option is B.

At the start, I focussed on breaking down the question statement and used the question data to construct an equation which told me what to look for in the statements. You need to do this on all word problems where a lot of data is given as part of the question. Without doing this, if you start analyzing the statements directly, you’d be missing out on the most important data in a DS question.

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [5]
Given Kudos: 242
Send PM
Kudos