Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618866 [19]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.8
WE:Account Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [2]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Re: It has always been difficult to understand the basis of politics in th [#permalink]
I do not understand why C is right

If China's political system is closed and factional. Does this mean all closed political system is factional? Why can't there be an exception?

Can anybody help me on this?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
It has always been difficult to understand the basis of politics in th [#permalink]
rsrighosh wrote:
I do not understand why C is right

If China's political system is closed and factional. Does this mean all closed political system is factional? Why can't there be an exception?

Can anybody help me on this?

Hi rsrighosh I'd be happy to help

We are told that China has a political system that is effectively closed. Then we are told that Chinas political system has characteristics that are similar to a factional system.

So because there are similarities in the two, the author concludes that China's political system (which is a closed one) is a factional political system.

We need to strengthen this conclusion. How do we do that?

(C) says that ALL closed political systems are factional. Now if this is true then China by default will be called a factional economy. Think about it. Just because China has similar traits to a factional one we cannot go ahead and make a bold statement that China is a factional economy. Today if I say, Bob has a few traits that are common to a dog (such as loyalty) I cannot conclude that Bob is a dog right? But now with (C) I am able to conclude this. Go back to the example statement. If I say ALL things named Bob are dogs, then of course we can conclude that Bob, who has similar traits, is a dog. Similarly, If I say ALL closed political system (which includes China) is a factional economy, then the authors conclusion is strengthened.

Quote:

Closed and factional is a wrong statement because Closed IS factional. Moreover, we need to strengthen the conclusion. Keep in mind that there can be exceptions to the strengthen statements. BUT that is not what we need to worry about.

Learning

1) All assumptions are strengtheners
2) All strengtheners are not assumptions
3) Assumptions cannot have exceptions
4) Strengtheners can have exceptions --> Hence we should not consider exceptions cases OR build situations in our head that may act as exceptions. Pick the statement that MOST strengthens the argument and move on

Hope this helps :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: It has always been difficult to understand the basis of politics in th [#permalink]
It has always been difficult to understand the basis of politics in the People’s Republic of China. Because the system is effectively closed, it is impossible to know with any degree of confidence who is allied with whom and for what reasons. Yet Chinese politics does exhibit many of the external characteristics of factional political systems, as found in more open societies. It is legitimate to conclude, therefore, that China has a factional political system.

Which one of the following, if true, would confirm the author’s conclusion that China has a factional political system?

(A) All open political systems are factional political systems. - WRONG. So, does it impacts the highlighted text. No. We don't know any relation between open and closed PS.

(B) All factional political systems are closed political systems. - WRONG. Reversal case that does not help as it is not necessarily true.

(C) All closed political systems are factional political systems. - CORRECT. POE.

(D) China’s political system is more open than many existing factional political systems. - WRONG. So what!! Such a comparison helps identify anything.

(E) China’s political system is more closed than all existing factional political systems. - WRONG. Like D it is irrelevant.

Answer C.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts