Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
December Recruitment Events [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiM Admissions Blog: December Recruitment Events
Considering applying to one of our programmes? Interested in finding out more about the LBS experience? We have a whole host of events this month, all happening virtually, to give you some insight into studying at London Business School.

All events are being hosted online.

UKDateGMAC Masters Tour: Study in Europe01/12/2020Masters in Financial Analysis Information Session with the Career Centre01/12/2020Early Career Programmes: The Student Perspective01/12/2020Diversity at LBS: An Introduction to the Black in Business Club02/12/2020GMAC Masters Tour: Study in Europe03/12/2020How To Submit A Strong MBA Application03/12/2020MBA Overview04/12/2020An Introduction to Business Education: What are GRE and GMAT?07/12/2020Q&A with the Early Career Recruitment & Admissions Team08/12/2020Masters in Finance: In Conversation with MiF Students08/12/2020Diversity at LBS: The Women in Business Panel09/12/2020MBA Overview11/12/2020An Introduction to Business Education: Your application – bringing your authentic self14/12/2020Early Career Programmes: The Student Perspective15/12/2020Diversity at LBS: The Out in Business Club16/12/2020Meet our Global Masters in Management Alumni18/12/2020MBA Overview18/12/2020USA and CanadaThe US Alumni Perspective – Why Study in the UK05/12/2020South AmericaMasters in Finance Alumni Series: In conversation with Alumni from Latin America15/12/2020

The post December Recruitment Events appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
December Recruitment Events [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: December Recruitment Events
Considering applying to one of our programmes? Interested in finding out more about the LBS experience? We have a whole host of events this month, all happening virtually, to give you some insight into studying at London Business School.

All events are being hosted online.

UKDateGMAC Masters Tour: Study in Europe01/12/2020Masters in Financial Analysis Information Session with the Career Centre01/12/2020Early Career Programmes: The Student Perspective01/12/2020Diversity at LBS: An Introduction to the Black in Business Club02/12/2020GMAC Masters Tour: Study in Europe03/12/2020How To Submit A Strong MBA Application03/12/2020MBA Overview04/12/2020An Introduction to Business Education: What are GRE and GMAT?07/12/2020Q&A with the Early Career Recruitment & Admissions Team08/12/2020Masters in Finance: In Conversation with MiF Students08/12/2020Diversity at LBS: The Women in Business Panel09/12/2020MBA Overview11/12/2020An Introduction to Business Education: Your application – bringing your authentic self14/12/2020Early Career Programmes: The Student Perspective15/12/2020Diversity at LBS: The Out in Business Club16/12/2020Meet our Global Masters in Management Alumni18/12/2020MBA Overview18/12/2020USA and CanadaThe US Alumni Perspective – Why Study in the UK05/12/2020South AmericaMasters in Finance Alumni Series: In conversation with Alumni from Latin America15/12/2020

The post December Recruitment Events appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
My experience with the case method [#permalink]
FROM IESE MiM Blog: My experience with the case method
I decided to pursue the MiM after finishing my engineering degree because I wanted to know more about other areas related to Management and Business: IESE was the perfect place to learn through the case method. During these past 3 months of the MiM, I have improved in terms of making reasonable decisions about complex... Read More
SVP
SVP
Send PM
The Classroom Experience (Hybrid Learning) [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiM Admissions Blog: The Classroom Experience (Hybrid Learning)
By William Abihanna (MiM2020)

Let
me start with an honest truth: we were all taken aback, shocked, and
disappointed when the school took the decision to close classrooms in March.
However, I am now confident enough to say that LBS, both students, staff and
faculty alike, have handled the situation extremely well. If I had to pinpoint a
few positives and challenges of the virtual classroom experiences, I would
select these:

Positives

• A high quality of guest speakers:
    Despite all the negatives, shifting to a virtual world has opened up an
    extraordinary amount of opportunities. With their great networks, many faculty
    had wished to invite great business leaders who eventually were not able to
    join due to the logistics of coming to London. The virtual classroom removed
    these issues, and in the electives I chose, I was able to meet and hear about
    the experience of many inspiring people, some of whom I might have never had
    the chance to speak with in my life.

• Accessible faculty: It can
    sometimes be challenging to have a conversation with a teacher at the end of
    class due to many students wanting to see her/him. Similarly, having our
    schedule fit with faculty’s office hours is not always easy. The online
    classroom experience made this so easy, with many faculty willingly staying online
    a bit more after class for discussions and debate, and being very flexible for
    one-to-one calls to discuss assignments or anything else.

• Rewatchable lectures: There are
    many reasons why one might not be able to join a virtual class. The good side
    of this situation is, if these reasons happen to be validated by the MiM office,
    no class content is ever lost! You don’t need to reach out to a friend, most
    classes are recorded and accessible via Canvas. This way, you are sure never to
    miss a class concept or any guest lecturer you wish to watch again! In
    addition, even if you do make it to class, recordings allow you to focus on
    understanding the course instead of taking notes continuously. For me, this was
    a massive plus.

Challenges

• The social aspect: This one is, to
    me, the most important thing I missed in the virtual classroom. The ability to
    sit down next to your friends and chat during breaks while having a coffee was
    dearly missed. However, this is situation we will have to cope with regardless
    of where we study. Fortunately, whether it is through the Programme Office or
    the various student clubs and associations, many virtual events are organized
    to make the best out of this situation and make sure we keep connecting and
    having fun with our fellow classmates.

• The group assignments: When
    working on group assignments, which you will do a lot once you join LBS, once
    thing my study group and I really enjoyed doing was gathering in the Student
    Hub for lunch and discussing the assignment altogether. Unfortunately, the
    sanitary situation prevented us to do that but we were encouraged to organise
    virtual lunch and try to recreate this environment. While ensuring all efforts
    and assistance needed is at your disposal, LBS also insists on regularly
    collecting feedback from surveys or your student reps to make sure they respond
    to your challenges.

I won’t be denying this is a challenging time and COVID-19 has taken away a lot of things we enjoy and signed up to Business Schools for. However, I truly believe, relying on my personal experience and comparing with other friends, that the virtual classroom experience put together by LBS, and continuously improved, helped to make the best out of this situation.

The post The Classroom Experience (Hybrid Learning) appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
The Classroom Experience (Hybrid Learning) [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: The Classroom Experience (Hybrid Learning)
By William Abihanna (MiM2020)

Let
me start with an honest truth: we were all taken aback, shocked, and
disappointed when the school took the decision to close classrooms in March.
However, I am now confident enough to say that LBS, both students, staff and
faculty alike, have handled the situation extremely well. If I had to pinpoint a
few positives and challenges of the virtual classroom experiences, I would
select these:

Positives

• A high quality of guest speakers:
    Despite all the negatives, shifting to a virtual world has opened up an
    extraordinary amount of opportunities. With their great networks, many faculty
    had wished to invite great business leaders who eventually were not able to
    join due to the logistics of coming to London. The virtual classroom removed
    these issues, and in the electives I chose, I was able to meet and hear about
    the experience of many inspiring people, some of whom I might have never had
    the chance to speak with in my life.

• Accessible faculty: It can
    sometimes be challenging to have a conversation with a teacher at the end of
    class due to many students wanting to see her/him. Similarly, having our
    schedule fit with faculty’s office hours is not always easy. The online
    classroom experience made this so easy, with many faculty willingly staying online
    a bit more after class for discussions and debate, and being very flexible for
    one-to-one calls to discuss assignments or anything else.

• Rewatchable lectures: There are
    many reasons why one might not be able to join a virtual class. The good side
    of this situation is, if these reasons happen to be validated by the MiM office,
    no class content is ever lost! You don’t need to reach out to a friend, most
    classes are recorded and accessible via Canvas. This way, you are sure never to
    miss a class concept or any guest lecturer you wish to watch again! In
    addition, even if you do make it to class, recordings allow you to focus on
    understanding the course instead of taking notes continuously. For me, this was
    a massive plus.

Challenges

• The social aspect: This one is, to
    me, the most important thing I missed in the virtual classroom. The ability to
    sit down next to your friends and chat during breaks while having a coffee was
    dearly missed. However, this is situation we will have to cope with regardless
    of where we study. Fortunately, whether it is through the Programme Office or
    the various student clubs and associations, many virtual events are organized
    to make the best out of this situation and make sure we keep connecting and
    having fun with our fellow classmates.

• The group assignments: When
    working on group assignments, which you will do a lot once you join LBS, once
    thing my study group and I really enjoyed doing was gathering in the Student
    Hub for lunch and discussing the assignment altogether. Unfortunately, the
    sanitary situation prevented us to do that but we were encouraged to organise
    virtual lunch and try to recreate this environment. While ensuring all efforts
    and assistance needed is at your disposal, LBS also insists on regularly
    collecting feedback from surveys or your student reps to make sure they respond
    to your challenges.

I won’t be denying this is a challenging time and COVID-19 has taken away a lot of things we enjoy and signed up to Business Schools for. However, I truly believe, relying on my personal experience and comparing with other friends, that the virtual classroom experience put together by LBS, and continuously improved, helped to make the best out of this situation.

The post The Classroom Experience (Hybrid Learning) appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Masters in Finance: Internships [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Masters in Finance: Internships
An integral part of the Masters in Finance full-time programme is doing an internship, which is a good way to gain relevant industry experience, build your network, and differentiate you from other candidates in the eyes of recruiters.

To
support their professional transitions, 63 students in the MiF full-time 2019
class undertook internships during their programme. The firms included
investment banking/corporate finance advisory, private equity, asset management
and development finance firms, as well as commercial banking, and energy firms.
Students interned across Europe, Asia, Africa, North America and Latin America.
The firms they worked at include: Blackstone, Citi, EY, Goldman Sachs and
Morgan Stanley.

Nagui
Camel-Toueg, MiF Full-time 2020 shares his internship experience:

“During
the summer of 2020, I interned at CDC Group within their Infrastructure Private
Equity division. CDC is at the forefront of promoting economic development via
a wide array of investment products in Africa and South Asia. From the first
day of the internship, I was entrusted with the responsibility of working on a
multitude of key projects that range from evaluating investment opportunities
and performing asset management activities, to helping develop internal
strategic initiatives.

The
institution’s broad geographic mandate coupled with the numerous sub-verticals
that fall under the umbrella of the infrastructure product group, allowed me to
benefit from a unique combination of broad yet in-depth exposure to the asset
class. I was able to help my team evaluate solar pv and water desalination
opportunities, perform project management tasks on a portfolio onshore wind
farm, and undertake renewable energy and ports infrastructure market mapping
studies across CDC’s target geographies.

CDC’s primary objective of promoting development allows the institution to operate in countries that private investors often shy away from. Being able to contribute to projects that will create a positive impact on developing countries and rural communities makes for an unparalleled and truly rewarding learning experience. At the end of the internship, I felt fulfilled knowing that the projects I worked on will bring the institution one step closer to its goal of ending poverty and promoting equality.”

To
learn more about internships and the career impact of the MiF, download our employmentreport.

Want to learn more about the programme? Get in touch with us.

The post Masters in Finance: Internships appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
THE FESTIVE PERIOD AT LBS: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiM Admissions Blog: THE FESTIVE PERIOD AT LBS: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW
Over the festive period of Saturday 19th December to Sunday 3rd January 2020, London Business School is closed. The students take this time to take a break, recharge their batteries and often head back home. It’s the same for the staff and faculty at the school! Therefore please expect a small delay in response to any emails or queries.

If you are submitting your application over this festive period and are looking for advice or clarification, our Students and Admissions blog, the FAQs and general website contain an array of information you may find useful.

As a reminder, these are the upcoming programme deadlines in January:

Early Careers Programmes (MiM, Global MiM, MAM & MFA)

• Round Two Deadline: 25th January 2021

MBA Programme

• Round Two Deadline: 5th January 2021

MiF Full-time/ MiF Part-time Programmes

• Round Three Deadline: 5th January 2021

Our Leadership programmes are finalising the EMBA & LBS Sloan classes that begin in January 2021.

We are still accepting strong applications for the January 2021 LBS Sloan intake. Please contact our Sloan team for further information and eligibility.

There are limited spaces available for strong candidates for the EMBA London and Dubai programme. Please get in touch with our EMBA team for further information and eligibility. If you are interested in applying to these programmes:

EMBA-London/Dubai

• Applications to the EMBA-London/Dubai September 2021 intake will open in January 2021.

EMBA-Global Americas & Europe

• Round Four Deadline: 19th January 2021

EMBA-Global Asia

• Find the next deadline here

LBS Sloan Masters in Leadership and Strategy

• Application deadlines for the January 2021 LBS Sloan intake will be announced shortly, please continue to check the website for details.
The post THE FESTIVE PERIOD AT LBS: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
THE FESTIVE PERIOD AT LBS: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: THE FESTIVE PERIOD AT LBS: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW
Over the festive period of Saturday 19th December to Sunday 3rd January 2020, London Business School is closed. The students take this time to take a break, recharge their batteries and often head back home. It’s the same for the staff and faculty at the school! Therefore please expect a small delay in response to any emails or queries.

If you are submitting your application over this festive period and are looking for advice or clarification, our Students and Admissions blog, the FAQs and general website contain an array of information you may find useful.

As a reminder, these are the upcoming programme deadlines in January:

Early Careers Programmes (MiM, Global MiM, MAM & MFA)

• Round Two Deadline: 25th January 2021

MBA Programme

• Round Two Deadline: 5th January 2021

MiF Full-time/ MiF Part-time Programmes

• Round Three Deadline: 5th January 2021

Our Leadership programmes are finalising the EMBA & LBS Sloan classes that begin in January 2021.

We are still accepting strong applications for the January 2021 LBS Sloan intake. Please contact our Sloan team for further information and eligibility.

There are limited spaces available for strong candidates for the EMBA London and Dubai programme. Please get in touch with our EMBA team for further information and eligibility. If you are interested in applying to these programmes:

EMBA-London/Dubai

• Applications to the EMBA-London/Dubai September 2021 intake will open in January 2021.

EMBA-Global Americas & Europe

• Round Four Deadline: 19th January 2021

EMBA-Global Asia

• Find the next deadline here

LBS Sloan Masters in Leadership and Strategy

• Application deadlines for the January 2021 LBS Sloan intake will be announced shortly, please continue to check the website for details.
The post THE FESTIVE PERIOD AT LBS: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
How to become a sustainable leader [#permalink]
FROM ESCP MiM Students Blog: How to become a sustainable leader
Corporate sustainability has been at the forefront of people’s attention over the past few years. More and more leaders are stepping up to guide their teams to achieve sustainable objectives.

For this article, we attended a discussion led by Prof. Olivier Delbard, member of the SustBusy Research Chair on business and sustainability at ESCP. In addition to his teaching and research, Olivier helps companies to integrate the long-term into short-term decisions and to contribute to solving the environmental and social challenges that we face.

Prof. Delbard has over 25 years of experience in sustainability and is the author of the recently-published book The Corporate Social Responsibility Agenda.

Get information from the outside world

Sustainability is a deep and complex topic. Unless you are a sustainability expert, you should start by acknowledging that you’re far from knowing everything about the subject. “Environmental issues are not in the companies’ daily agendas. You need to get those competencies from the outside world,” says Prof. Delbard.

Reaching out to people outside of your organisation will help you to stay informed on the best socially sustainable practices. Some NGOs are full of experts ready to work with companies.

Also, read about sustainability as often as you can to nourish your vision of the future and to make sure that you raise relevant topics with the sustainability experts when you meet them.

Build a clear vision of your sustainable organisation

Once you are well-informed on the topic of sustainability, define a vision for your organisation.

This vision should serve both the company’s interests and the planet’s interests.

Today, most companies are still seeing corporate social responsibility as a legal obligation or a PR tool. The vision you define needs to be strong enough to aim further than compliance. “The change will come from those who go beyond compliance,” states Olivier Delbard.

When thinking about Key Performance Indicators, go beyond growth. “Exponential growth is not compatible with sustainability”, says Olivier. Instead, sustainable organisations put more emphasis on degrowth – where social and ecological well-being take priority over corporate profits.

Get your team involved

No matter the size of your organisation, you will need to engage all of the stakeholders if you truly want to succeed in your sustainability conversion.

First and foremost, share your vision with your employees and encourage them to contribute to the sustainability goals of your organisation. Most employees react positively to changes that make their work more meaningful. The positive impact of being more sustainable will increase the motivation, creativity, innovation, productivity, and sense of belonging of your team members.

On top of helping you to work towards your sustainable vision and increase the motivation of your team, this will also make your company more attractive to new recruits. “The newer generations want to work in socially responsible companies,” says Olivier. This will help you to attract new talents to your team.

Don’t forecast, backcast.

Forget the 10-year strategic plan based on the current trajectory of your organisation. Forecasting is far from ideal in our changing world. The evolution of the past 10 years won’t tell you enough about the 10 years to come. Also, forecasting stops you from thinking outside the box, limiting you to your current possibilities.

Instead, Olivier recommends backcasting, which is defining a desirable future and then working backwards. To do this, ask yourself the following questions:

– What would the most sustainable company in my industry look like in an ideal world?

– What kind of world would we like to operate in, in 10 or 20 years?

“Then, simply backcast to make it possible”, says Olivier. It’s a totally different mindset. It will keep you open to new possibilities.

Ready to make the world a more sustainable place?

Companies need strong leaders to transition to a more sustainable future. If you want to succeed in your mission, get professional help from outside of your organisation. Build a vision that is clear, ambitious, and easy to understand. Involve your team as much as possible.

Once sustainability is embedded in the strategy of your company, both your company and the outside world will benefit in the long term, while at the same time attracting the best new talents.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
How the Career Centre supports Early Careers students [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiM Admissions Blog: How the Career Centre supports Early Careers students
by Kira Hughes, MiM Career Lead

Embarking on a postgraduate qualification is a big decision and there are lots of factors to consider when making this investment. It goes without saying that for most of you the biggest questions are: where will I be at the end of my programme? And how will the Career Centre support me?

My name is Kira Hughes and I work as one of the Career Coaches focused specifically on supporting LBS Early Careers students. I have over nine years’ experience helping postgraduate students secure exciting roles in companies as varied as Nike, Unilever, Essence, Bain, Monese, Amazon, Bloomberg and many more… I am just one member of a team of 40+ career professionals who are here to partner with you as you navigate your exciting, and often surprising, career journey. Here are just a few ways in which we support you:

Early support

We know how overwhelming the start of your Masters can be – assimilating new learning, making new friends, getting to know London, and for most of you all in a second language! On top of this and depending on your sector interests, a lot of recruiters have early deadlines, so there’ll be applications to perfect. In response to this challenge, we give you access to multiple webinars and digital resources throughout the summer so that you can benefit from our expertise early on and ensure you hit the ground running when you arrive in London.

A career management framework that helps you focus your time and energy

Your year at LBS will go like a flash and you will soon realise that there will be many pulls on your time. The LBS career management framework E2D2 (Explore, Evaluate, Develop, Do) helps you apply a structure that ensures you make the most effective and efficient use of your time. Critically evaluating your strengths in relation to your career goals and understanding the opportunities will help to avoid energy spent on wrong turns and dead ends.

Sector specific employer engagement teams

Our fantastic employer engagement team are responsible for developing labour market insights and relationships with top global companies within the Finance, Tech, Consulting and Diversified Sectors. The team bring a breadth and depth of experience from the sectors within which they work, curating alumni and employer events throughout the year, including the Early Careers Career Fair, Tech and Start Up Recruitment evening, Asset Management and Buy-side networking event and the Boutique Consulting recruitment event, hosting companies as varied as Blackstone, Amazon, Facebook, Red Ventures, BCG, Amex, the Welcome Trust and BoAML.

One to one coaching and career insights from multiple sources

You have unlimited access to one to one coaching with any of our Career Coaches and Sector Leads. These sessions are designed around your needs, whether you want support in evaluating your career options, perfecting your application materials, or preparing for upcoming interviews and assessment centres. One of the key benefits of being part of a post-graduate only institution means that you are also able to access career advice and guidance not just from members of the Career Centre, but from our experienced MBA and Leadership students through our Peer Leader programme – many of whom remain as lifelong mentors and friends to our Early Careers students.

Entrepreneurship Roadmap

For those of you looking to start your own businesses, or grow an existing business, we offer an exciting programme of activity to support you in that ambition, including workshops, access to mentors, events and hackathons, and opportunity to apply for a position in the LBS incubator.

No matter what your individual career goals are there’s lots of support you can access from the Career Centre, and if want to see where our last cohort ended up, check out our most recent Employment Reports for MiM and Global MiM, MAM and MFA.  We look forward to partnering with you!

The post How the Career Centre supports Early Careers students appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
How to finance your Masters at London Business School [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiM Admissions Blog: How to finance your Masters at London Business School
By Callum Charman, MFA Student Recruitment Associate

Business school is one of the biggest
investments you can make, so it’s important to ensure you have financing in
place before you start. There are plenty of ways to finance your studies – from
loans to scholarships and grants.

We understand that postgraduate study is a
big investment in your future, and we support as many students as possible in
this important next step. Our Scholars Community represents some of LBS’s
brightest talent, and in order to attract and support the best candidates, we
offer several generous merit scholarships.

LBS offers many financing options to
support your graduate studies, including merit funds and bursaries. Each year
around 20% of the Early Careers class receives funding from one of the School’s
scholarships, which are supported by the School, alumni and external donors.

In addition to the School’s scholarships
portfolio, there are also external loan options which admitted students can
apply for, including Prodigy and Future Finance.

Scholarships

Scholarships can turn the dream of business
school into a reality. We’re proud to recognise outstanding talent and provide
the critical financial support those students need.

Our
scholarships are funded by LBS directly, and by our friends, alumni and
supporters. All admitted
students are automatically considered for the vast majority of merit
awards for which they meet entry requirements. Most scholarships will not
require a separate application.

It is worth remembering that some
scholarships are awarded early in the admissions process, so make sure you
apply for your programme as early as possible if you are interested in
receiving funding from the school.

Laidlaw Women’s Leadership Fund:

“The purpose of the scholarships is to encourage and develop future leaders in any field of activity. Looking around the world’s business and political leaders, I can’t recall a time when better leaders were more urgently needed”
Lord Laidlaw, Chairman of the Laidlaw Foundation

From autumn 2020-2023, the Laidlaw Women’s Leadership Fund will support 20 outstanding female scholars across the Masters in Management, MBA and EMBA programmes each year, made possible by a generous £3.69m gift from the Laidlaw Foundation. This will create a dynamic network of female peers at LBS and beyond, strengthening our ambition for gender parity across our degree programmes. The Fund aims to attract exceptional women from a diverse range of backgrounds, in particular women who may not otherwise be able to afford a top-tier business education.

LBS and Laidlaw Foundation share a joint
vision – to help exceptional females in their careers, regardless of their
socio-economic backgrounds. In order to be eligible for this scholarship, successful
female applicants must demonstrate financial need.

“Unfortunately, many women reach a glass ceiling, particularly in the corporate world. I am deeply committed to helping more of them break that glass ceiling through expanding access to top business education,”
Lord Laidlaw, Chairman of the Laidlaw Foundation

The
ongoing success of the Laidlaw Women’s Leadership Fund strengthens the School’s
ambition of moving towards 51% female representation across LBS’s degree
programmes, in particular the number of women from socio-economically diverse
backgrounds. The fund aims to attract the highest calibre women who might not
otherwise have been able to afford a top-tier business education.

Margarita Bicec is a current LBS Student Ambassador, studying as part of the Masters in Management programme. She spoke to us about how she found out that, not only had she been accepted for the programme, but that she would be receiving the Laidlaw Women’s Leadership Fund:

“I was on a bus heading over to play volleyball at my alma mater, NYUAD, when I found out I’d been accepted as a Laidlaw scholar. I was scrolling through my emails when I saw one from London Business School – I teared up when I read that I’d been accepted into the MiM. I had to explain to my fellow passengers that I was happy, not upset! It felt better than winning the lottery. I’d never heard of Lord Laidlaw or the Laidlaw Foundation, but he’s changed my life in so many ways.”

As the founder of a music education app, Margarita is keen to have a significant social impact. Something she says is inspired by the generosity of the Laidlaw Scholarship.

“I’m hugely inspired by the impact Lord Laidlaw has had through his philanthropy and generosity. He has literally changed the lives of hundreds of ambitious women with big life dreams who would not have been able to fulfil them without the education that his Foundation enables. That is the scale of impact I’d like to achieve. Why not? I’ve had quite a few privileges and lifechanging experiences; I want to make that happen for other people.”

Loans

There are a number of loan options available to LBS students. Some are open to all while others depend on your situation, such as nationality, financial status or likely future earnings.

Make sure you consider all your options and
remember that it’s important to do your own research as there may be other
government and regional loans and grants available in your own country.

Some of the most popular loans include:

Prodigy
Finance:

• Lends to most international
    students, subject to eligibility
  • Lends across all degree
    programmes
  • Funded by community
    investors, LBS and external investors
  • Lending levels based on
    innovative model of predictive post-degree salary indicators
  • Prodigy Finance fully
    responsible for lending decisions – eligibility criteria apply
  • Competitive interest rates
  • Maximum loan amount for full-time students: up to 100% of the
    school-provided tuition
  • Minimum loan amount: £10,000 or $15,000
  • Loans available in: GBP or USD
  • All loans disbursed directly to the university according to due dates

More information regarding eligibility and access to funds can be found on the Prodigy Finance website.

Future Finance:

• Lends to UK or UK resident
    students (residency qualification applies)
  • Lends across all degree
    programmes
  • Lends for tuition fees and
    living expenses
  • Competitive interest rates
  • Your rate will be calculated
    based on your graduate earning potential, not just your current financial
    situation.

More information regarding eligibility and access to funds can be found on the Future Finance website.

The post How to finance your Masters at London Business School appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
A week in the life of an IESE MiM student [#permalink]
FROM IESE MiM Blog: A week in the life of an IESE MiM student
Our schedule for the week starts strong, there is no time or energy to waste. Mondays start at 8.15am, when we arrive at the door we show our QR code (a systematic way of keeping track of COVID-19 free students). There are two ways of coming to IESE, either by bus – taking the 160... Read More
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Advice for Incoming MiM students [#permalink]
FROM IESE MiM Blog: Advice for Incoming MiM students
Congratulations to the recently admitted students of IESE MiM Class of 2022! In this post, MiM ’20 alumni Federico Marchi and Dalbert Ma (Class President, President of Consulting Club) share some advice on how to best prepare for and succeed in the program. Looking back, what do you wish you knew before you started the... Read More
SVP
SVP
Send PM
6 reasons to study abroad [#permalink]
FROM ESCP MiM Students Blog: 6 reasons to study abroad
More and more students decide to study a master’s degree abroad. While studying in a foreign country sounds attractive to a lot of people, there are several reasons why this is a great way to grow personally and professionally. Studying in a foreign country is attracting more and more interest, not least of which is that it is a great way to grow both personally and professionally.

1. Learning a new language and understanding a new culture

Studying abroad is among the fastest and most efficient ways to learn a new language. By being surrounded by people who speak the local language, you are constantly exposed to situations that help you improve your language skills. On top of that, many of your fellow students have the same goal of learning the local language, which creates a positive learning environment.

Fully understanding people from a foreign country goes beyond speaking their language. By studying abroad, you also get to understand a new culture.

During your masters, you will have the opportunity to meet students from many different nationalities and backgrounds. This is an invaluable experience that you can only learn firsthand.

A better understanding of different cultures is the first step to becoming a global citizen and a great team player.

2. Becoming more independent

Making the decision to study in a foreign country is a great act of courage. It’s stepping out of your comfort zone, leaving your hometown, and saying goodbye to your friends and family. The decision empowers you to become a more independent and self-reliant person.

Companies are increasingly looking for profiles with strong soft skills such as these. In addition to the hard skills that you learn during your master’s degree, going abroad helps you to develop many essential soft skills. Becoming more independent also makes you a better candidate for remote work opportunities.

3. Becoming more open & adaptable

There are two more soft skills that every person who has studied overseas masters: openness and adaptability. Indeed, as mentioned earlier, studying in a foreign country requires you to adapt to your new environment, and to make an effort to understand others. Every day, you become more accustomed to the local culture and, by doing so, you become a more open person.

This experience is the perfect playground to build the resilience, the openness, and the adaptability that you will need in this changing world.

4. Enriching your CV

Another great reason to study a masters overseas is to enrich your CV. There is no doubt that working and studying abroad makes your CV more attractive to employers. It shows them that you were courageous enough to leave your comfort zone. That you had the opportunity to work on group projects with people from different cultures. That you have lived in uncertainty during one or several semesters.

On top of that, adding your international experience to your CV will instantly show that you have the skills mentioned above: independence, openness, and adaptability. No wonder why international profiles are so in-demand.

5. Building a new professional network

It’s not what you know, it’s who you know. More than making your CV attractive, studying abroad will enhance your career opportunities by extending your professional network.

During your master’s degree, you’ll have many opportunities to start building your professional network. Job fairs and company visits, organized by the career services, are a great way to get exposed to highly competent professionals.

If, on top of that, you decide to do your work placements abroad, you’ll be able to build an even wider professional network.

To make the most of your master’s degree, get fully involved in the group projects, job fairs and networking events organised by the school and by the student associations.

6. Getting a job overseas

With an attractive CV, strong hard and soft skills, and a global professional network that you can reach out to, getting a job or an internship overseas is much easier after having studied in a foreign country.

In fact, you will be more likely to find an internship in a specific country if you are already there. You can check out your school’s career services and they’ll be happy to put you in contact with local companies.

Ready to study abroad?

As we’ve seen, studying a master’s degree overseas is one of the best ways to kick-start your career. If you’re looking for a programme that will allow you to study one or various semesters in a foreign country, ESCP’s Master in Management (MiM) is a two-year programme that will help you do just that. During the MiM, you can choose to study in one or several of ESCP’s six European campuses. Find out more about the programme in the following link -> ESCP – Master in Management
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Reflections of an IESE MiM: Building the “85 to Africa” [#permalink]
FROM IESE MiM Blog: Reflections of an IESE MiM: Building the “85 to Africa”
Winter time in Madrid has been an interesting one so far. On the car ride from Moncloa to Aravaca, where my roommate’s car breathes in the morning air with a little taste of Latin reggaeton and African soca to get it going, I greet IESE’s Madrid campus with a hunger to build what I like... Read More
SVP
SVP
Send PM
How to lead a Virtual Private Equity Conference [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: How to lead a Virtual Private Equity Conference
By Lucy Palin, MiF Admissions Manager

It’s safe to say that we’re all very comfortable with engaging in a virtual world. Whether it’s catching up with friends or strategy planning at work. It’s been an unexpected delight to see how well everything works virtually but it’s easy to forget the learning curve we have all gone through.

Andre Chacur De Miranda, MiF2020, was planning to lead the Private Equity Trek to Brazil, a LBS event gathering top talents to visit key PE firms in the region. However, as COVID-19 spread he had to work out on how he was going to deliver a highly anticipated PE event, virtually.

I asked Andre how he did it…

So, Andre, how do you even begin to make
a conference virtual when you had planned something to be delivered
in person? 

By that time, the first week of March, the main concern was to call-off the event. Although we had everything planned to visit Rio and São Paulo in Brazil; flights and accommodation were all booked, firms were scheduled and we had a highly motivated group of LBS students, the outbreak was escalating extremely fast and the global situation was dramatically changing every day.

Thus, the PE Trek in March was cancelled, and by August I started to re-organise it – which became the first fully virtual LBS Private Equity/Venture Capital conference. I was confident the event would be successful, especially after the great experience from LBS virtual classes. I also joined some virtual conferences and events to understand its dynamics and what could work best for us.

When planning the virtual event, a lot of things had changed but the shift to virtual had a lot of value and there were more benefits than expected.

What were the main things you had to keep in mind when
planning the conference?

I kept in mind that I needed to re-think almost everything from organisation to logistics.

On one hand, a great benefit that arose was the possibility to add more participants to the event, with more students having the opportunity to learn, and firms had access to a broader pool of LBS talent. The general logistics were significantly easier to manage (e.g., people not having to travel from UK to Brazil or, during the event, not having to rush from one meeting to another). Plus, not having to travel enabled the event to run in parallel with classes (instead of block-week limited) and to have more flexibility in the conference agenda (e.g., greater spacing between meetings vs having all of it in a week).

On the other hand, one of my greatest concerns was to efficiently manage LBS participants attendance and engagement; in my view, it’s crucial to have students who are highly motivated and engaged in order to represent the LBS community well. I tested different ways to mitigate that risk and overall, it worked well. I have learnt some great lessons and shared them internally with colleagues that will be organising upcoming LBS conferences. Finally, not meeting the speakers in-person wasn’t a huge loss for the LBS group – the PE/VC industry values long-standing relationships and meeting virtually is also a great way to start promising professional connections overseas.

How did the conference go, what were your
highlights? 

It went super well and all the effort that the LBS PE group put in was definitely worth it. The LBS students were very active and helped with all aspects of organising the event, bringing renowned speakers, working together on prep-materials and actively participating on meetings Q&A sessions. In terms of post-event outcomes, a lot of the lessons learnt, and suggestions were later on shared within the LBS community (including the PE/VC and Social Impact clubs) to improve upcoming virtual conferences.

We all learned a lot about the PE/VC landscape in Brazil, thanks to the world-class line-up of speakers from diverse segments of the industry including global PE investors, local PE and VC investors, co-investors, sovereign funds and fund of funds. Having a quite diverse mix of funds resulted in agendas with different topics and structures, which was key in providing a more complete and enjoyable learning experience. It was also very interesting to hear the different investment and value creation approaches and perspectives from local mid-market to large global buyout firms. The speakers were highly qualified, very open, friendly and motivated to spend time with us. This meant we had very productive informal Q&A sessions, in which we discussed insightful topics about careers, investing, trends, ESG and many other industry-related topics.

We met a lot of interesting PE/VC investors that are shaping the Brazilian real economy and fostering economic growth. It was clear that there’s a lot of growth ahead in the Brazilian PE/VC industry and the firms are excited about the coming years, even under the current challenging pandemic scenario.

Overall, the conference was an outstanding learning and networking opportunity, and certainly one of the professional highlights of my LBS experience!

The post How to lead a Virtual Private Equity Conference appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
An Introduction to Business Education [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiM Admissions Blog: An Introduction to Business Education
By Lydia Wakefield, Associate Director, External Partnerships and Scholarships – Degree Education 

A masters degree is a significant investment in your future. We have created the ‘Next Gen Leaders: An Introduction to Business Education’ webinar series in an aim to demystify business education for aspiring leaders. If you are deciding that your next step is business school, this series will help you make the right choice for your future.

Each session in the series covers a key question that many have when deciding on whether their next step is business school.

What is the difference between a Masters in Management, MBA and Executive MBA? Find out what masters degree suits your needs and ambitions. We talk through the different programmes including who they are designed for, their content, mode of study, entry requirements and how they can help you achieve your professional goals.
View this session

Why consider a post-graduate business education? The Recruitment and Admissions teams along with  Student Ambassadors from the Early Career and MBA programmes share considerations when applying to Business School and the impact that the programmes are already having on their careers.
View this session

The value in business school education – is it worth the investment?
Our alumni share their personal experiences of studying at London Business School, the impact it has had on their career, the benefits of having a global network and ultimately why they believe business education is worth the investment.
View this session

How to fund your investment in business school. Our Financial Aid and Business Development teams explain more about our scholarship portfolio, applying for loans and how to search for funding. They also offer some guidance on approaching your employer for support.
View this session

What are the GRE and GMAT? Ever wondered why the test is required and how your score is evaluated? Our team explain the rationale from an LBS perspective, the score range and recommended scores per programme. Manhattan Prep will also provide practical tips for achieving the best result.
View this session

Your application – bringing your authentic self. Our Recruitment and Admissions Directors share what they look for in future students and how you can bring your unique background, experiences and motivations to life in your application.
View this session

For further information on any of our programmes, please contact our Recruitment & Admissions team at masters@london.edu.

The post An Introduction to Business Education appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
GMAT Club Bot
An Introduction to Business Education [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  16   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts