Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Pronounsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has [#permalink]
Hi Experts, MartyTargetTestPrep GMATNinja

For the beginning portion of B and C, is there ever a time you can make a comparison like that? "because it is so similar, [...]"

Or is it always incomplete? The OG explanation states that words that express comparisons require either a plural object (with an optional expression of things being compared) or a singular object. Therefore, considering option B and C compare "the ant," which is singular, it needs an explicit object
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63655 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
samgyupsal wrote:
Hi Experts, MartyTargetTestPrep GMATNinja

For the beginning portion of B and C, is there ever a time you can make a comparison like that? "because it is so similar, [...]"

Or is it always incomplete? The OG explanation states that words that express comparisons require either a plural object (with an optional expression of things being compared) or a singular object. Therefore, considering option B and C compare "the ant," which is singular, it needs an explicit object

I think it's safe to say that any time you're making a comparison, you need at least two entities. Tim can be similar to Joe. But writing "Tim is similar," without noting anyone he's similar to, is just nonsense.

So, yes, you can kill (B) and (C) on this basis alone -- you can't have a comparison with just one kind of ant.

That said, you want to be careful about converting this into a rule in your mind. While I'd be surprised if you encountered such a construction in a correct answer on the GMAT, it's theoretically possible to create a sentence in which the phrase "because [singular noun] is similar" is fine. For example:

"Tim's sister, Jane, often tries to sneak into the tiger enclosure at the zoo; because Tim is similar, his wife had him fitted for a shock collar."

Though I don't love this sentence, I'm not sure it's WRONG, exactly -- we can use context to figure out that Tim is similar to his sister. If I saw something comparable on the GMAT, I wouldn't treat it as an error. Notice that my example is different from (B) and (C) above, in which no other entity is mentioned.

So don't get carried away and try to establish a universal rule based on this question. Instead, treat it as yet another example of why it's dangerous to go on auto-pilot. You always want to be engaged with the logic and context of whatever specific example you're evaluating.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Is "the kind of ... struggles" plural?? How come??
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
keyuwang wrote:
Is "the kind of ... struggles" plural?? How come??

You need to check which part makes sense meaningwise

In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

(D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

To determine the difference, you can ask questions :(different context would have different meanings). in this context:
1.)
Ask question what limit the spread of this species?
meaningwise: kind can not limit the spread .It doesn't make sense with kind.

2.) Engage in what?
Engage in kind
or engage in struggles/
( kind of just happens to be modifier)
engage in struggles make sense; not engage in kind.

Example:
I am engaged in physical exercise that can reduce weight--make sense
now I modify it, but core remain same
I am engaged in type of physical exercise that can reduce weight--make sense
I am engaged in typeS of physical exercise that can reduce weight--make sense

Other context:
You have to give me colors that are not same-
you have to give me colors of a pen that are not same--> here meaning focus on colors not on pens.

I hope it helps.

Originally posted by mSKR on 18 Apr 2021, 20:21.
Last edited by mSKR on 19 Apr 2021, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
jerrywu wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 747
Page: 698

In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

(A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

(B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

(C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

(D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

(E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

sayantanc2k Here, can we use the "because vs due to split"? I am almost certain that I am missing something!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adityaganjoo wrote:
Here, can we use the "because vs due to split"? I am almost certain that I am missing something!

Hi Aditya, I am wondering whether you are confusing this with because of vs due to split, since both are prepositions.

because and due to are not really comparable, since while because is a subordinating conjunction, due to is a preposition.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses because of vs due to, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
adityaganjoo wrote:
Here, can we use the "because vs due to split"? I am almost certain that I am missing something!

Hi Aditya, I am wondering whether you are confusing this with because of vs due to split, since both are prepositions.

because and due to are not really comparable, since while because is a subordinating conjunction, due to is a preposition.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses because of vs due to, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

EducationAisle Thanks for the clarification. While I understand that the split I mentioned here is different from "because of vs due to", I am not sure whether the usage of "due to" in the way it has been done in options (A) and (B) can ever be correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello,

I am struggling to understand the official explanation of this question. The official explanation says that ‘similar’ require either a plural object, with an optional expression of the entities being compared , or a singular object, in which case this explicit comparison is required. ‘ it’s being so genetically similarly’ , without explicit comparison, is incorrect.

Can the experts please help me understand this concept of the use of similar

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
psurabhi wrote:
Hello,

I am struggling to understand the official explanation of this question. The official explanation says that ‘similar’ require either a plural object, with an optional expression of the entities being compared , or a singular object, in which case this explicit comparison is required. ‘ it’s being so genetically similarly’ , without explicit comparison, is incorrect.

Can the experts please help me understand this concept of the use of similar

Thanks

Hi Surabhi, from what I read of the official explanation, it means that we can either say:

i) One ant is similar to other ant(s)
- It is clear that we are comparing the similarity of one ant with other ant(s)

Or

ii) The ants are similar
- The comparison/similarity among various ants is implied

However, we cannot just say: One ant is similar (as is the case in option B and D in the sentence under consideration)!

The reason is that there is nothing to compare the similarity of this one ant with!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks Educationaisle for the quick response
I am not clear then why is option D correct then ? Because it has ‘they’ are so genetically similar to one another. Here we have plural , so we don’t need ‘ one another’ ?

Is it that with singular we absolutely need an object and with plural we may / may not have an object.

Is this the correct way of understanding?

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
psurabhi wrote:
Thanks Educationaisle for the quick response
I am not clear then why is option D correct then ? Because it has ‘they’ are so genetically similar to one another. Here we have plural , so we don’t need ‘ one another’ ?

Isn't this what the official explanation says: ‘similar’ requires a plural object, with an optional expression of the entities being compared.

So, option D uses this optional expression ("to one another") perhaps for additional clarity.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
daagh wrote:
This is a good question, because one can learn the psyche of GMAT through this. Is this a GPREP question? If it is so, it seals any doubt that we have regarding the use of ‘consider to be’ as an authenticated idiom. If GPREP prefers to use ‘consider to be’ in all the five choices or even in its OA, then we must take it. However, who can confirm, that this is indeed a GPREP or official question? ‘Outside GMAT domain, ‘consider to be’ is accepted all over the world, but that may be irrelevant to us in GMAT.

Therefore, D springs to life once again. In B, the version drops out the phrase ‘to one another’ which is essential to point out that the comparison is extended to all the ants in Argentina and not limited to two of them or two species of them.

This wobbly question changes track often from singular in the beginning to plural in the middle and then back to singular in the end. If it is a genuine GPREP or official question, it is a beautiful one. If not, it is a dubious one.

Hi daagh

How about between "due to" and "because" ?
Or both are correct?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63655 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Teitsuya wrote:
daagh wrote:
This is a good question, because one can learn the psyche of GMAT through this. Is this a GPREP question? If it is so, it seals any doubt that we have regarding the use of ‘consider to be’ as an authenticated idiom. If GPREP prefers to use ‘consider to be’ in all the five choices or even in its OA, then we must take it. However, who can confirm, that this is indeed a GPREP or official question? ‘Outside GMAT domain, ‘consider to be’ is accepted all over the world, but that may be irrelevant to us in GMAT.

Therefore, D springs to life once again. In B, the version drops out the phrase ‘to one another’ which is essential to point out that the comparison is extended to all the ants in Argentina and not limited to two of them or two species of them.

This wobbly question changes track often from singular in the beginning to plural in the middle and then back to singular in the end. If it is a genuine GPREP or official question, it is a beautiful one. If not, it is a dubious one.

Hi daagh

Or both are correct?

Sadly, our wonderful brother daagh is no longer with us.

As mentioned in this post, "due to" can only modify a noun, not a verb.

In (B), it looks like "due to its being so genetically similar" is trying to modify the verb phrase "the ant considers". In (A), it looks like "due to their being so genetically similar to one another" is trying to modify the verb phrase "the ants consider". In both cases, the usage of "due to" is problematic.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Teitsuya wrote:
daagh wrote:

Hi daagh

Or both are correct?

Sadly, our wonderful brother daagh is no longer with us.

As mentioned in this post, "due to" can only modify a noun, not a verb.

In (B), it looks like "due to its being so genetically similar" is trying to modify the verb phrase "the ant considers". In (A), it looks like "due to their being so genetically similar to one another" is trying to modify the verb phrase "the ants consider". In both cases, the usage of "due to" is problematic.

I hope that helps!

What a sad news!
I used to DM him a long time ago:(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Kudos
daagh . I know you are not here with us to read all these posts anymore , but to answer your question -this is an official GMAT retired question as this has appeared in OG 2017 and 2020.We will meet soon , but not today .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM

(A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

(B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

(C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

(E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

This question can be easily solved using just SV agreement.

Here we are searching for another independent clause due to the semicolon ; - hence B is out

(A) Struggles that limits - incorrect SVA
(C) struggles that limits - incorrect SVA
(E) struggles that limits - incorrect SVA
(D) Correct ans
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
In non-underline part, there are Argentina ant and its species.
Does it make sense to use the ants (plural) that refer to Argentina ant (Singular) ?

We cannot use “they” to refer to Jacky.

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts