Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1466 [12]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [4]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Re: Besides laying eggs in her own nest, any female wood duck will lay an [#permalink]
Answer choice (C) says that the actual size of the wood boxes are smaller than the natural nesting sites. We don't know how big the natural nesting sites are, nor do we know the size of the wood boxes. So we can't choose (C).

Answer choice (D) says that the wood boxes are less effective now than they would be if they were hidden. We know that the boxes "actually undercut the ducks' reproductive efforts." Also, we know that when nesting sites are hidden "this parasitic behavior is rare." Hiding the nesting sites would improve the situation, so we can infer answer choice (D).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Re: Besides laying eggs in her own nest, any female wood duck will lay an [#permalink]
Besides laying eggs in her own nest, any female wood duck will lay an egg in the nest of another female wood duck if she sees the other duck leaving her nest. Under natural nesting conditions, this parasitic behavior is relatively rare because the ducks' nests are well hidden. However, when people put up nesting boxes to help the ducks breed, they actually undercut the ducks' reproductive efforts. These nesting boxes become so crowded with extra eggs that few, if any of the eggs in those boxes hatch.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following?

(A) Female wood ducks will establish nests in nest boxes only when natural nesting sites are not available. X

(B) Nesting female wood ducks who often see other female wood ducks are the most successful in their breeding efforts. X

(C) The nesting boxes for wood ducks have less space for eggs than do natural nesting sites. X

(D) The nesting boxes would be more effective in helping wood ducks breed if they were less visible to other wood ducks than they currently are. CORRECT. If the female wood ducks that aren't supposed to be laying their eggs in those makeshift nesting boxes, then the ducks that those boxes are made specifically for would indeed be more effective.

(E) Nesting boxes are needed to supplement the natural nesting sites of wood ducks because of the destruction of much of the ducks' habitat. X
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Besides laying eggs in her own nest, any female wood duck will lay an [#permalink]
The argument is that female wood ducks have a tendency to breed in other female wood ducks nest IF the other nest is visible. In reality, they are quite well hidden. When people put up nesting boxes (presumably in open), it undermines the reproduction efforts because the parasitic behaviour comes to fore and female wood ducks lay their eggs in it and the nest becomes crowded, leading to no hatch and hence "undermining" reproductive efforts.

Notice what i wrote in bracket is of utmost importance because if some people hid that nest to aid a particular duck, then, the "undermining reproductive efforts" may not happen.

(A) Female wood ducks will establish nests in nest boxes only when natural nesting sites are not available. -- The argument does not bring that out. Eliminate.

(B) Nesting female wood ducks who often see other female wood ducks are the most successful in their breeding efforts. -- The argument gives no info on comparative results of breeding efforts. Eliminate.

(C) The nesting boxes for wood ducks have less space for eggs than do natural nesting sites -- We do not know that and the argument does not suggest anything like that. Eliminate.

(D) The nesting boxes would be more effective in helping wood ducks breed if they were less visible to other wood ducks than they currently are. -- The argument does suggest that when it says "this parasitic behavior is relatively rare because the ducks' nests are well hidden.". Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that if nesting boxes are well hidden (less visible) from other ducks, they may aid reproductive efforts since overcrowding may be avoided.

(E) Nesting boxes are needed to supplement the natural nesting sites of wood ducks because of the destruction of much of the ducks' habitat. -- Again, the argument does not provide us with any such information. Eliminate.

Hi AndrewN - could you please look at my reasoning process? Much appreciated! :)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
ravigupta2912 wrote:
The argument is that female wood ducks have a tendency to breed in other female wood ducks nest IF the other nest is visible. In reality, they are quite well hidden. When people put up nesting boxes (presumably in open), it undermines the reproduction efforts because the parasitic behaviour comes to fore and female wood ducks lay their eggs in it and the nest becomes crowded, leading to no hatch and hence "undermining" reproductive efforts.

Notice what i wrote in bracket is of utmost importance because if some people hid that nest to aid a particular duck, then, the "undermining reproductive efforts" may not happen.

(A) Female wood ducks will establish nests in nest boxes only when natural nesting sites are not available. -- The argument does not bring that out. Eliminate.

(B) Nesting female wood ducks who often see other female wood ducks are the most successful in their breeding efforts. -- The argument gives no info on comparative results of breeding efforts. Eliminate.

(C) The nesting boxes for wood ducks have less space for eggs than do natural nesting sites -- We do not know that and the argument does not suggest anything like that. Eliminate.

(D) The nesting boxes would be more effective in helping wood ducks breed if they were less visible to other wood ducks than they currently are. -- The argument does suggest that when it says "this parasitic behavior is relatively rare because the ducks' nests are well hidden.". Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that if nesting boxes are well hidden (less visible) from other ducks, they may aid reproductive efforts since overcrowding may be avoided.

(E) Nesting boxes are needed to supplement the natural nesting sites of wood ducks because of the destruction of much of the ducks' habitat. -- Again, the argument does not provide us with any such information. Eliminate.

Hi AndrewN - could you please look at my reasoning process? Much appreciated! :)

I agree with your reasoning, Ravi, and I can see why you arrived at the correct conclusion. I felt as though only when was too strong in (A); the superlative most successful was too strong in (B); the comparative less space was purely speculative in (C); and the entire because clause was, again, purely speculative in (E). Well done.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts