Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Fuqua v.s. Anderson($$) v.s. Tepper($)

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: I really need help, thank you! Fuqua v.s. Anderson($$) v.s. Tepper($) [#permalink]
Wchen186 wrote:
Regenerate wrote:
Good analysis.

This might help you -> https://gmatclub.com/forum/financial-ai ... 42190.html

There's also a link within the top post in that thread that links to GMATClub's Ranking of the top 40 full time programs in the US.

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you!
I read this before, and that is what makes it a tough call for me right now, cuz the amount granted by Anderson is just around 40%. Though I already requested scholarship reconsideration to Fuqua.

"If you don't ask, the answer is 'no'."

Good for you!

PS - While both schools are wonderful programs, both are also slightly regional in their placements. Your final decision will PROBABLY affect the part of the country you eventually settle in.
Current Student
Send PM
Re: I really need help, thank you! Fuqua v.s. Anderson($$) v.s. Tepper($) [#permalink]
Regenerate wrote:
Wchen186 wrote:
Regenerate wrote:
Good analysis.

This might help you -> https://gmatclub.com/forum/financial-ai ... 42190.html

There's also a link within the top post in that thread that links to GMATClub's Ranking of the top 40 full time programs in the US.

Thank you!
I read this before, and that is what makes it a tough call for me right now, cuz the amount granted by Anderson is just around 40%. Though I already requested scholarship reconsideration to Fuqua.

"If you don't ask, the answer is 'no'."

Good for you!

PS - While both schools are wonderful programs, both are also slightly regional in their placements. Your final decision will PROBABLY affect the part of the country you eventually settle in.

Thanks again.
I have talked to lots of alum from both school.
I think right now I am more towards Fuqua.
But it’s just hard to give up 50K + 10K lower tuition.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72869 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Awesome job on your admits! And thank you for filling out the decision tracker!!!

There are positions in the entertainment industry that do sponsor. I know Fox, Disney, Universal Music, and a few others did in LA. This is a bit dated information so maybe it has changed? I imagine the biggest Entertainment company - Amazon does as well as Netflix. There are also off-shoots such as EA, and the rest of the gaming industry. However, entertainment jobs are hard to break into. It is very competitive as so many people are passionate about it and so many wish to be a part of it. Who would not want to be paid to play computer games? :lol:

One aspect to consider is where you have best/better chances of succeeding. Consulting jobs are limited for the international applicants as not all firms sponsor and competition is also high (not as high as entertainment though). Fuqua would give you the best chance at Consulting. Do you have the personality and resilience for it? I know sometimes the Asian cultures make people reserved and easily annoyed with the western showmanship. Are you an outgoing person and someone who can face the customer/client on their own and run a PPT? My guess is probably since you have the entertainment focus but just something to point out what is considered important in consulting recruiting (higher end at least).

The important thing is to have something catchy on your resume. Often you will submit a resume for a consulting or an entertainment position. They won't have the time to interview all 200 people who applied, so how would they shortlist you? Do you have something that would catch their eye? For either consulting or entertainment (you don't have to tell me but these are the questions you should be going through in your mind - why would they pick me? and working in this area if needed)

As to your analysis - it is spot on but to slightly tweak your matrix, the cost of living in LA will be the highest of all (I think you have the sign opposite). You will most likely have to get a car so you are not stuck on campus and ubering everywhere. Not right away but eventually. Just FYI - this also adds to the cost. As to the decision, between the Anderson + scholarship vs. Fuqua, it is a tight call.

Do you have a network in any of the locations? LA or NC? Friends, family, etc you can rely on?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 502 [1]
Given Kudos: 250
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
I really need help, thank you! Fuqua v.s. Anderson($$) v.s. Tepper($) [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello Wchen186

Congratulations on being in a position to be choosing from multiple prestigious admit offers! Fantastic job!

I voted for Fuqua. The $50k that you'll save in tuition money at Anderson will be offset to an extent by the higher cost of living, car ownership, and living the #LAlife :lol: And if you were to bag an MBB job by going to Fuqua, you'd probably get a ~$30k signing bonus. :cool: So, while it might seem hard to let go of the money at Anderson, stretching the horizon of your decision making will put things in perspective more accurately.

For consulting goals, and specifically MBB, Fuqua is the best of the three options. bb has already added a lot of nuance to how you should be thinking about this decision.

Is getting into the entertainment industry a "serious Plan A2" or an "okay if it works or not Plan B"? If it's the former, you may want to think about going to Anderson - in which case you would be trading potential MBB recruiting opportunities for potential entertainment recruitment opportunities. If it's the latter, Fuqua makes more sense. It's the classic "if you 100 bucks" problem. Also, bb made a fantastic point about the evolution of new-age entertainment companies, most of which are tech companies in disguise, and hence might be more willing to hire internationals. You would have to do some research and talk to people to see if these hypotheses hold.

Good luck with your decision making!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wchen186, I just fact-checked myself and checked the H1B approvals for Media companies in 2020 and 2019 and they are indeed very meager and scant. I do know a person who worked for Universal Music on H1B and one who worked for Fox in LA but I guess that's dated information. Sorry about that. I guess you are right. I was checking here: https://www.uscis.gov/tools/reports-and ... r-data-hub

So that means the Entertainment route is not really H1B friendly... and I am not sure how much they can argue that you will be using your STEM designation in the job. Granted that Biden administration should relax some of the rules and labor restricitons but I would not count on it since it is unknown....
Current Student
Send PM
bb wrote:
Wchen186, I just fact-checked myself and checked the H1B approvals for Media companies in 2020 and 2019 and they are indeed very meager and scant. I do know a person who worked for Universal Music on H1B and one who worked for Fox in LA but I guess that's dated information. Sorry about that. I guess you are right. I was checking here: https://www.uscis.gov/tools/reports-and ... r-data-hub

So that means the Entertainment route is not really H1B friendly... and I am not sure how much they can argue that you will be using your STEM designation in the job. Granted that Biden administration should relax some of the rules and labor restricitons but I would not count on it since it is unknown....

Thanks BB for all three posts you share, that are all very great information.
That is why I think consulting is a more realistic way (though it’s still tough as you mentioned), maybe break into Entertainment later in my career is a more possible path.
I do have some connections in LA, but they are not able to help me with either consulting or Entertainment cuz they are just my family friends who not even familiar with the MBA community. As a result, I think my decision would still base on the career resources of the school.

Current Student
Send PM
variantguy wrote:
Hello Wchen186

Congratulations on being in a position to be choosing from multiple prestigious admit offers! Fantastic job!

I voted for Fuqua. The $50k that you'll save in tuition money at Anderson will be offset to an extent by the higher cost of living, car ownership, and living the #LAlife :lol: And if you were to bag an MBB job by going to Fuqua, you'd probably get a ~$30k signing bonus. :cool: So, while it might seem hard to let go of the money at Anderson, stretching the horizon of your decision making will put things in perspective more accurately.

For consulting goals, and specifically MBB, Fuqua is the best of the three options. bb has already added a lot of nuance to how you should be thinking about this decision.

Is getting into the entertainment industry a "serious Plan A2" or an "okay if it works or not Plan B"? If it's the former, you may want to think about going to Anderson - in which case you would be trading potential MBB recruiting opportunities for potential entertainment recruitment opportunities. If it's the latter, Fuqua makes more sense. It's the classic "if you 100 bucks" problem. Also, bb made a fantastic point about the evolution of new-age entertainment companies, most of which are tech companies in disguise, and hence might be more willing to hire internationals. You would have to do some research and talk to people to see if these hypotheses hold.

Good luck with your decision making!

Thank you for the response. I think break into entertainment from tech company is a new concept that I had not give it a serious consideration. But I will go do some research on that.
I think your post just make me reflect on my career options again. And I think now I can talk with Alum on topics that’s more about how school resources help them land a job in consulting or tech. Which I think both schools are great in tech and Fuqua has a slightly advantage in consulting. But I am not sure whether it’s a self-select result or not.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72869 [1]
Send PM
I really need help, thank you! Fuqua v.s. Anderson($$) v.s. Tepper($) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
If consulting is your goal, and you can make Fuqua work, it is the program to go to.

As to your family/friends in LA, it is helpful to have at least someone for catastrophic reasons and just to have someone to help with basic things (drivers license, etc). These are absolutely not critical things by the way and people have accomplished them on their own, just nice to have some safety net (one small pro for Anderson).

Frankly, with total cost of living (not even factoring opportunity cost), you are spending $200K on Fuqua vs. $150K on Anderson. So your loan payment will be $2,200 vs $1,660 with a 10-year loan at 6%. That's the implication of your decision.

1/2 of the cost of Tesla Model X or Porche 911 (though don't quote me as I drive a mini-van, which is around 50K when you take tax and such)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Wchen186 wrote:

Thank you for the response. I think break into entertainment from tech company is a new concept that I had not give it a serious consideration. But I will go do some research on that.
I think your post just make me reflect on my career options again. And I think now I can talk with Alum on topics that’s more about how school resources help them land a job in consulting or tech. Which I think both schools are great in tech and Fuqua has a slightly advantage in consulting. But I am not sure whether it’s a self-select result or not.

Glad I could be of help! I was in a somewhat similar position last year, choosing between Anderson and Ross. You can read my post here for more insights into how I went about doing the specific research that you are now planning to do. Cheers!
Current Student
Send PM
bb That is true, safety net can really be a small pro here.
variantguy Thanks a lot again. Your post is really a great resource for me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I just want to update this thread so this can be helpful for someone who may be in the same situation as me in the future.

I keep connecting with alum and current students at all schools and then send an update form to Fuqua. In the form, I listed why I am eligible for reconsideration, such as arranging coffee chat for applicants, connecting with Team Fuqua, and schedule a talk with admission committee. I end up receiving 20k from Fuqua after 3 months of effort.

My decision is probably going to be Fuqua cause I think the living cost is going to justify the 30k difference in scholarship. Without 20k from Fuqua, I am definitely going to Anderson cause there is just not much difference going to either school as international student unless you’re determined to stay in health care. (Even Fuqua alum told me to take the money offered by Anderson.)

Thank you all for helping me make the decision. Good luck to you all!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Wchen186 wrote:
I just want to update this thread so this can be helpful for someone who may be in the same situation as me in the future.

I keep connecting with alum and current students at all schools and then send an update form to Fuqua. In the form, I listed why I am eligible for reconsideration, such as arranging coffee chat for applicants, connecting with Team Fuqua, and schedule a talk with admission committee. I end up receiving 20k from Fuqua after 3 months of effort.

My decision is probably going to be Fuqua cause I think the living cost is going to justify the 30k difference in scholarship. Without 20k from Fuqua, I am definitely going to Anderson cause there is just not much difference going to either school as international student unless you’re determined to stay in health care. (Even Fuqua alum told me to take the money offered by Anderson.)

Great job renegotiating money at Duke! Just goes on to be another data point that schools are willing to reneg. If you don't mind me asking, is the $20k per year or total?

Good luck with your studies at Fuqua!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
variantguy wrote:
Wchen186 wrote:

Great job renegotiating money at Duke! Just goes on to be another data point that schools are willing to reneg. If you don't mind me asking, is the $20k per year or total?

Hi variantguy
20K in total.
Still 30K short from Anderson's offer. (40K if you include the difference in tuition fee)
I think the difference in cost of living for me would be around 24-28K/ 2YRS. I'll take the extra 12K as Brand name/Ranking premium, haha.
There is also career aspect consideration in my final analysis.
After talking with current students from both schools, I think entertainment is not a possible path for my short-term goal. I would focus on either Tech or Consulting, and Fuqua has great recruiting record in both industry while Anderson is more focused in Tech.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry about the entertainment path and a dead end there. It is tricky and a very long path with absolutely no guarantee it will work out.
Congrats on the $20K from Fuqua! That's awesome!

Fuqua is much stronger for consulting and especially the MBB opportunities. You just don't get those on the west coast....

Wchen186 wrote:
variantguy wrote:
Wchen186 wrote:

Hi variantguy
20K in total.
Still 30K short from Anderson's offer. (40K if you include the difference in tuition fee)
I think the difference in cost of living for me would be around 24-28K/ 2YRS. I'll take the extra 12K as Brand name/Ranking premium, haha.
There is also career aspect consideration in my final analysis.
After talking with current students from both schools, I think entertainment is not a possible path for my short-term goal. I would focus on either Tech or Consulting, and Fuqua has great recruiting record in both industry while Anderson is more focused in Tech.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts