Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Schools: IIMC MBAEx'23
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [0]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Re: A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may [#permalink]
Expert Reply
priyanshu14 wrote:
russ9 wrote:
Can someone please explain why, in option C, "the result of this" is incorrect?

Dear Team,

even I have the same doubt and not convinced with explanation provided in the thread till now.
Kindly explain in detail.

Thanks in advance
bb generis GMATNinja EMPOWERgmatVerbal

Hello again priyanshu14!

I think that Businessconquerer covered the initial reason the phrase "the result of this" is incorrect - it's not idiomatically correct. That phrase needs a verb after it to make sense (the result of this is/was...). It also doesn't work as a parenthetical phrase (a phrase placed between two commas that's just there to add emphasis).

The other reason option C is incorrect has to do with parallelism:

(C) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, the result of this, they are unable to make

This is INCORRECT because it doesn't use parallel structure to describe the two things that are hampered in the sentence. Because of this, we can rule this option out.

I hope this helps, and thanks to Businessconquerer for the extra explanation!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one problem at a time, to narrow it down to the correct choice! First, here is the original question with any major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make sense of speech.

(A) it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make
(B) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, to make
(C) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, the result of this, they are unable to make
(D) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words, and results in not making
(E) as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words, resulting in being unable to make

After a quick glance over the options, there are a few things we can focus on:

1. it hampers / that it hampers / as to hamper
2. for distinguishing / to distinguish
3. Their endings

Let's start with #1 on our list, which is an issue of idiom structure. The idiom we are trying to use here is this:

so X that Y

Here is how each option uses (or misuses) this idiom:

(A) it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make --> so X Y --> WRONG
(B) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, to make --> so X that Y --> GOOD
(C) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, the result of this, they are unable to make --> so X that Y --> GOOD
(D) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words, and results in not making --> so X that Y --> GOOD
(E) as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words, resulting in being unable to make --> so X as to Y --> WRONG

We can eliminate options A & E because they don't adhere to the idiom structure "so X that Y."

(It turns out we could also eliminate options A & E because they also incorrectly use the "for verb+ing" structure instead of the correct "to verb" in this sentence.)

Now that we've narrowed it down to 3 options, let's take a closer look at how each option ends, and look for any glaring issues. I'll give you a hint: it has something to do with parallelism!

(B) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, to make

This is our CORRECT option! It uses parallel structure with "to distinguish" and "to make!" It also uses the correct idiom structure "so X that Y."

This is INCORRECT because it doesn't use parallel structure to describe the two things that are hampered in the sentence. Because of this, we can rule this option out.

(D) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words, and results in not making

This is also INCORRECT because it doesn't use parallel structure to describe the two things being hampered in the sentence!

There you have it - option B is the correct choice because it follows the "so X that Y" idiom structure and uses parallelism correctly!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal
Thanks for the detailed explanation to an OG question.

My question is about the idiom used in option E: so X as to Y. You have marked it incorrect. I have come across a couple of question where this idiom has been used and the answer choice was correct. Link to one such question is below:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/immanuel-kan ... 62621.html

Now, when is it ok to use so X as to Y and when so X that Y?

Thanks.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [1]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Doer01 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one problem at a time, to narrow it down to the correct choice! First, here is the original question with any major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make sense of speech.

(A) it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make
(E) as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words, resulting in being unable to make

After a quick glance over the options, there are a few things we can focus on:

1. it hampers / that it hampers / as to hamper
2. for distinguishing / to distinguish
3. Their endings

Let's start with #1 on our list, which is an issue of idiom structure. The idiom we are trying to use here is this:

so X that Y

Here is how each option uses (or misuses) this idiom:

(A) it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make --> so X Y --> WRONG
(B) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, to make --> so X that Y --> GOOD
(C) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, the result of this, they are unable to make --> so X that Y --> GOOD
(D) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words, and results in not making --> so X that Y --> GOOD
(E) as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words, resulting in being unable to make --> so X as to Y --> WRONG

We can eliminate options A & E because they don't adhere to the idiom structure "so X that Y."

(It turns out we could also eliminate options A & E because they also incorrectly use the "for verb+ing" structure instead of the correct "to verb" in this sentence.)

Now that we've narrowed it down to 3 options, let's take a closer look at how each option ends, and look for any glaring issues. I'll give you a hint: it has something to do with parallelism!

This is our CORRECT option! It uses parallel structure with "to distinguish" and "to make!" It also uses the correct idiom structure "so X that Y."

This is also INCORRECT because it doesn't use parallel structure to describe the two things being hampered in the sentence!

There you have it - option B is the correct choice because it follows the "so X that Y" idiom structure and uses parallelism correctly!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal
Thanks for the detailed explanation to an OG question.

My question is about the idiom used in option E: so X as to Y. You have marked it incorrect. I have come across a couple of question where this idiom has been used and the answer choice was correct. Link to one such question is below:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/immanuel-kan ... 62621.html

Now, when is it ok to use so X as to Y and when so X that Y?

Thanks.

Hello Doer01!

Thanks for your question! In general, the idiom "so X that Y" is preferred over "so X as to Y" in English, which is why I chose to go that route when answering this question.

After doing some more research, though - you have a point. Neither of these constructions is better/worse. You can absolutely use them interchangeably. In fact, it seems that the GMAT exam likes to toss this idiom construction into questions to throw off students. Heck, it even got me!

As you can see from my explanation, you can also eliminate those same options because they use the for + verbing combination that is actually incorrect. Once you've eliminated those two options, the rest of the explanation still works.

I appreciate the question because, as you can see, sometimes the GMAT test writers trick even the best of us! In the future, if you see a question that has the "so X that Y" and "so X as to Y" debate, start looking for a more obvious problem instead!

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
Sarjaria84 wrote:

A. it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make
B. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, to make
C. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, the result of this, they are unable to make
D. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words, and results in not making
E. as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words, resulting in being unable to make

Hi sayantanc2k daagh

The usage of 'so brisk as to hamper the ability' is incorrect in option 'E' in my opinion because this usage gives an indication that 'the conversational pace of everyday life' is brisk with the intention of hampering the ability of children, altering slightly the intended meaning of the original sentence.

I do understand that there is another error in option 'E', but can you please throw some light on my above reasoning?

Thanks
Saurabh

sayantanc2k daagh AjiteshArun

If you could please help me with my above query.

Thanks
Saurabh
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sarjaria84 wrote:
sayantanc2k daagh AjiteshArun

If you could please help me with my above query.

Thanks
Saurabh
Hi Sarjaria84,

When it comes to the so... as to construction, we need to watch out for the {~with the result that} meaning. Take the OA for this official question, for example:

... the features of which are so unrealistic as to constitute what one scholar calls an "artificial face."

Here is another example in which we're not looking at the {~intention} meaning.

You may also be interested in this usage of so that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos