Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3128 [1]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Re: How to Handle Failed Startup? [#permalink]
Thanks for the tips!
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
msrnyc wrote:
Hi all, I'm applying to business school late (round 3, racing to meet the deadlines) after my startup went bust. I'm not sure how to handle two parts:

1) The Essays:
After the startup didn't work, I realized I needed more business skills and training, especially marketing and business strategy, and so am applying to business school now. Is that a message that adcoms will accept and be eager to hear? I want to make sure I don't sound like I'm only applying because I don't have anything else to do.
Adcom seeks honesty- and uniqueness-- and sincerity. If you can deliver this message keeping all this in mind-- then yes.

2) Resume: Since the company shutdown, I've been doing a bit of part-time consulting work for a few other companies. Should I list that on my resume, even though it's only been a couple months? If so, is there a best way to list it?

I would list it on resume -- both the company and the now consulting work. It verifies your story. If you want some quick advice on how to best construct your resume-- reach out to us here for a consult and information on how we can help you hourly to do that: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
One other note it is important to position your interest in business school as you running towards something (skills, professional development, future career opptys) as opposed to running away from something (failed startup). It's a small nuance but this can help your failed start up feel like a lesson learned and not just you being unsuccessful and a failure
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
msrnyc wrote:
Hi all, I'm applying to business school late (round 3, racing to meet the deadlines) after my startup went bust. I'm not sure how to handle two parts:

1) The Essays:
After the startup didn't work, I realized I needed more business skills and training, especially marketing and business strategy, and so am applying to business school now. Is that a message that adcoms will accept and be eager to hear? I want to make sure I don't sound like I'm only applying because I don't have anything else to do.

2) Resume: Since the company shutdown, I've been doing a bit of part-time consulting work for a few other companies. Should I list that on my resume, even though it's only been a couple months? If so, is there a best way to list it?

Hi msrnyc,

Thanks for your query.

Start-up experience is highly preferred by business schools. However, it needs to be presented in a way that it a) looks like a part of the larger plan and b) comes with a set of crucial learning (even if the start-up was a failure). Hence, you must focus on building a story, wherein the start-up fits in as a deliberate decision for you to get hold of skills that would be valuable at business school and in the future (in the pursuit of your career goals). Speak about the skills you garnered, the work you did, and the learning that came with failure. Let us ensure that the tone is a positive one :)

Yes, of course, you must speak about the consulting work, especially if there is relevant information to include such as tangible achievements, leadership experience, and hands-on exposure :)

Should you need to discuss either your essays, career goals, Resume or anything pertaining to the entire applications process in greater detail, feel free to reach out to us :)

Hope this helps!

All the best! :)
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM