Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [19]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 913 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [6]
Given Kudos: 220
Send PM
Re: Although large sedans make up only 17 percent of the cars on the road, [#permalink]
Kudos
I have a hard time believing it is C. If that were true, then we should expect the sport cars to be rear-ended/impacted more since there is not enough braking distance for the cars behind them to stop.

Furthermore, A describes a front-end collision which is completely out of scope in the context of the passage.

The answer should be B in my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 490 [1]
Given Kudos: 467
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: Although large sedans make up only 17 percent of the cars on the road, [#permalink]
Kudos
Should be B. potterhead do you have the official explanation?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GRE 1: Q159 V160
Send PM
Kudos
B should be the answer. Answer choices A and C both describe a situation where the sedan or sports car rear end someone else, not where they are impacted. Answer choice B would cause sedans to be rear ended more as other cars would travel closer thus decreasing the time the other driver has to stop.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hard for me to believe the OA. If sport cars have strong brakes then the probability of them getting hit from rear is much more.
Should be B as it correctly gives the reason for Sedan's having more rear collisions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
potterhead wrote:
Although large sedans make up only 17 percent of the cars on the road, they are the impacted cars in 25 percent of all rear-end collisions. On the other hand, sports cars, which represent 12 percent of cars on the road, are the impacted cars in only 6 percent of rear-end collisions.

Which of the following, if true, best explains the data described above?

(A) The large size of sedans makes their braking distance longer than average, increasing the chances that they will be unable to stop in time to avoid hitting an obstacle.

(B) Many drivers of large sedans drive more slowly than average drivers, increasing the probability that other drivers will follow too closely.

(C) Sports cars tend to have powerful brakes for their size, making their braking distance much shorter than that of most cars that follow them.

(D) The number of large sedans on the road has been steadily increasing in recent years.

(E) Large sedans are often driven by older drivers with slower reflexes.

daagh VeritasKarishma GMATNinja carcass mikemcgarry

Dear Experts,
Could you please help with an explanation on this one? Thank You.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
The answer choices do not make sense to me . A and C are both plausible but they each explain one of the facet of two. This practice is wrong in explain the discrepancy.
If we choose C , we can argue that the same may be the case for trucks. We cannot make our assumptions regarding the braking system of trucks.
similarly, in A we are told about trucks, but what about sports cars??? even they may have ineffective brakes.
also both of them use " for their size" , so either explanation is credible , but none are independently sufficient.
This is the case where the test makers illogically try to exploit the term "best explains" ...
This question is WRONG
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Meaning
Rear-end collision: Basically this means a car hits another car in front of it. Impacted car in a rear end collision will be the car that got hit at the rear-end.
Braking distance is the distance traveled after application of break and before the car stops.
Analysis of argument:
The argument says that, although large sedans make up only 17 percent of the cars on the road, they are the impacted cars in 25 percent of all rear-end collision. On the other hand, though sports cars represent 12 percent of cars on the road, they are the impacted cars in only 6 percent of rear-end collisions. The question expects us to reason for the data observed for sports cars. While it is expected that sports car will be say closer to 25% of impacted cars in rear-end collisions as they make up almost same percentage of cars on the road as sedans, sports car make less percentage of impacted cars in rear-end collisions. This is the paradox that has to be resolved.

Option Analysis:
A) This is talking about stopping in time to avoid hitting the obstacle. This statement will make more sense if the passage is talking about front-end collisions, but the argument is about rear-end collisions. Clearly, this option is irrelevant.
B)This is talking about one feature that will increase the probability of rear-end collision in sedan. This will resolve the paradox.
C)This is talking about braking distance of sports cars compared to breaking distance of other cars that follow them. If the other cars that follow have larger braking distance, the chances are more like that they will hit the rear-end of sports car. This does not resolve the paradox.
D)Out of scope. We are not concerned about the number of sedans.
E)Out of scope. If the drivers have slower reflexes then it is a concern for front-end collision and not rear-end.

IMO:option B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Send PM
I picked A and it is the wrong answer. Can someone please post the official explanation?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: IMD '21
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Can you please explain this question? IMO answer should be B as both A & C talks about brakes and the braking distance, which in no way can be involved for a rear-end collision.
Only B explains the fact that as sedans move slowly than the average, the probability of other cars hitting a sedan from back increases. So I feel that's the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 363
Schools: IE
Send PM
Kudos
Official Explanation
Identify the Question Type:

The words "best explains" indicates that this is an Explain question. Expect there to be a paradox or apparent contradiction in the stimulus, and the answer to explain how both parts of the apparent contradiction can be true at the same time.

Untangle the Stimulus:

Untangle the stimulus in an Explain question by paraphrasing the two parts of the apparent contradiction. Here, large sedans are rear-ended more frequently than their representation on the road would suggest, and sports cars are rear-ended less frequently.

Predict the Answer:

It’s difficult to predict an exact answer for most Explain questions. However, expect the correct answer to describe something unique about large sedans or sports cars that would make sedans more susceptible to rear-end collisions and/or sports cars less susceptible.

Evaluate the Answer Choices:

(B) is correct because it explains why large sedans might be rear-ended more frequently. Since other drivers follow them too closely, the risk of a rear-end collision increases.

(A) might explain why large sedans rear-end cars in front of them, but not why they themselves are rear-ended more often than expected.

(C) deepens the mystery. If sports cars can stop in less distance than most other cars, they should be rear-ended more often, since others cars behind the sports cars wouldn't be able to stop as fast. Yet the statistics show the opposite.

(D) doesn't explain anything, because it's not the number of large sedans on the road that matters, it's the fact that in terms of percentage of all cars on the road, they are rear-ended more often than would be expected.

(E) might explain why large sedans might hit other cars in front of them, but not why they are hit so frequently from behind. The slower reflexes of the older drivers might cause them to fail to apply the brakes fast enough, thereby crashing into the car in front of them. But why do they get hit from behind? (E) doesn't explain this.

TAKEAWAY: The answer to an Explain question must show how both parts of the apparent contradiction can be true at the same time. Watch out for choices that deal with only one part of the contradiction.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
Send PM
With all due respect, I don't think the question is clear. There seems to be a couple of ambiguities. The question talks about the rear-end collisions, but the question does not make it clear whether it is talking about rear-end collision of the car that is associated with us or the car in front. If we take the scenario of the car in front as well, then the best answer in my opinion should be E, because it tells why the larger sedans are more susceptible to accidents.
Please help me understand this question better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
41396302717 wrote:
With all due respect, I don't think the question is clear. There seems to be a couple of ambiguities. The question talks about the rear-end collisions, but the question does not make it clear whether it is talking about rear-end collision of the car that is associated with us or the car in front. If we take the scenario of the car in front as well, then the best answer in my opinion should be E, because it tells why the larger sedans are more susceptible to accidents.

Dear 41396302717
Greetings!
Trust you're doing well.
I beg to differ.
The premise clearly mentions that 'they are the impacted cars in 25 percent of all rear-end collisions'.
That means that the large Sedans do get hit from the rear.
The option 'B' gives a possible reason, but I really do not understand how option 'C' best explains the data.

Regards
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello, Bunuel. I see that you have edited the OA once, but I think the answer should be (B), especially in light of the Official Explanation given by MI83 above, in this post. Please correct the OA unless you know of a Kaplan source that says otherwise.

Thank you.

- Andrew
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
AndrewN wrote:
Hello, Bunuel. I see that you have edited the OA once, but I think the answer should be (B), especially in light of the Official Explanation given by MI83 above, in this post. Please correct the OA unless you know of a Kaplan source that says otherwise.

Thank you.

- Andrew

Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Although large sedans make up only 17 percent of the cars on the road, [#permalink]
gasoline wrote:
41396302717 wrote:

Dear 41396302717
Greetings!
Trust you're doing well.
I beg to differ.
The premise clearly mentions that 'they are the impacted cars in 25 percent of all rear-end collisions'.
That means that the large Sedans do get hit from the rear.
The option 'B' gives a possible reason, but I really do not understand how option 'C' best explains the data.

Regards

From what I understood, the premise says the cars that are associated with us are the ones impacted in 25 % of the rear-end collisions.
True, but the premise does not give us any evidence to negate the possibility of the car not having its front-end damaged in a collision, which has impacted the rear-end of another car. Again, it is a rear-end collision but has impacted the front-end.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 578
Send PM
dollytaneja51 wrote:
Confused between A and C. I chose A which is incorrect . Can somebody help me to undestand why A is wrong?

Posted from my mobile device

Other way of rejecting A & C is that they both rely on the same logic (braking distance).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Although large sedans make up only 17 percent of the cars on [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although large sedans make up only 17 percent of the cars on [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts