Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Tuck$$ Vs Yale$$ Vs Kellogg

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [2]
Given Kudos: 73
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Masters of Science Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [3]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [1]
Send PM
Re: Tuck$ vs Yale$ vs Kellogg [SOLVED: Yale] [#permalink]
bb hahahaha Kelzo reminds me every day of why Tuck is the correct answer in this situation.

To answer your question, my significant other will be moving to her residency placement as I am moving for fulltime. We both would be graduating and moving at the same time. Due to the nature of the relationship (quite serious), and her professional interests, we identified Chicago as being the best landing place due the abundancy of residencies in the niche field she is interested in.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FinanceMan wrote:
This was arguably the most enjoyable post I have read on the forum! Insanely unique outlook given for each program. Very well thought out!

Having said that, B-School is a life changing experience and when you factor in a significant other, spouse, kids, etc. you really have to do some personal reflection to make sure you can make B-School work without sacrificing this relationship. Although Kellogg is a consulting powerhouse, if you do not feel it would benefit your relationship then you should write Kellogg off. That would leave Yale SOM and Tuck. For consulting, I would certainly lean towards Tuck. Sometimes, you have to ignore rankings and go with what is the best FIT. In this situation, I would say Tuck.

Posted from my mobile device

really appreciate your insight, and thank you for the response!!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congratulations on your admits and I totally understand the challenge. I am actually going to suggest something what seems to me illogical out of the gate but maybe it’s not so crazy. Let’s see if it works 😬

First of all, it’s important to make the decision together with your significant other. Do you have to find the right time in the right moment to ask them sometimes to get an honest and frank answer. It’s important to educate them about the choices and options So that it’s not just a geographic choice and you’re not choosing to move away for nothing. At the same time you don’t want them to feel that they are less important than a ranking. Because ultimately, you will survive whichever school you go to...

Second, Chicago is a very competitive market for consulting. New York and Chicago are the strategy offices and everyone wants to be there. For somebody pivoting into consulting, it will be brutal brutal Battle with chances stacked against you. I’m not saying you won’t get it but it’ll just be very competitive. You are probably better suited to go to Kellogg if you’re looking to be in Chicago just because you were there. I would say Kellogg would have a decent advantage for plans a and Plan B recruiting options if that is where you want to end up in the long term. It also happens to be the highest rated school and bigger than the other programs.... size matters for recruiters. More recruiters come on campus for the bigger programs. I have no idea how it will work in a year or two with the whole Covid situation but that’s how things used to work and I feel they should be going back to those norms.

Third, the best thing about Tuck is a lot of things but I feel like the part that stands out is the community and the student body and ultimately the location. Because it’s so remote, you bond with your classmates. I am not sure if you will be able to take it vantage of that bond and that closeness while your significant other is nearby and you will potentially be going to see them on the weekends or the other way around. I feel tuck in your particular situation would not be compatible with your setup.

Yale may be a nice option that would allow you to be together and also save some money. It doesn’t jump out at me in any other way except it it may be the only choice when you’re not separated.

Bottom line: I would pick between Yale and Kellogg. It is hard to quantify the differences. I am pretty sure that your employment options would be better at Kellogg but it doesn’t mean that you’re chances will result into a conversion. Just like Bill Gates said, about his undergrad experience, after moving to an all-girls dorm - better chances are not a guarantee of success...

Nobody knows how your path will work out in the long run. No one can go back and relive their life. At the same time, chances are both of you will be changed people after two years apart it will be hard to maintain that relationship and you will undergo tremendous stress that well strain you personally and also strain your relationships. If your significant other is the one, I would be looking to stay in New Haven. Sorry if it’s not the answer you were looking for.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 502 [1]
Given Kudos: 250
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
bb I like where you're coming from at this, and I think I agree with it. In these kinds of decisions, I'm not a big fan of middle grounds because they leave you hanging both ways.

texas101 With the middle-ground here which is Tuck, you may not get the Chicago recruitment opportunities of Kellogg and you would also technically be in some-sort-of-a-distance relationship compared to if you were attending Yale. Picking Tuck here would be optimizing for the worse on both axes.

I think it's between Kellogg and Yale, and it is not my place to pick one, but if it were, I would pick Kellogg. It is not only the best-ranked, largest, and most prestigious program of the three but also provides the best personal and community fit. My rationale would be that being at Kellogg will only probably put me and my partner through two years of long-distance while increasing my probability of landing a job in Chicago. On the other hand, we might have to endure long-distance for longer just because I decided to go to Yale (or Tuck) and couldn't land a job in Chicago eventually. Not to mention that the added efforts and pressure to recruit for Chicago roles in MBB from far away will not make for a pleasant experience. And if for any one of the hundred potential reasons, the relationship didn't work out, I'd still have attended the school that I would if I were single, to begin with.

Hope you and your partner can have an honest conversation about what's best for you (and you both)! :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
variantguy wrote:
bb I like where you're coming from at this, and I think I agree with it. In these kinds of decisions, I'm not a big fan of middle grounds because they leave you hanging both ways.

texas101 With the middle-ground here which is Tuck, you may not get the Chicago recruitment opportunities of Kellogg and you would also technically be in some-sort-of-a-distance relationship compared to if you were attending Yale. Picking Tuck here would be optimizing for the worse on both axes.

I think it's between Kellogg and Yale, and it is not my place to pick one, but if it were, I would pick Kellogg. It is not only the best-ranked, largest, and most prestigious program of the three but also provides the best personal and community fit. My rationale would be that being at Kellogg will only probably put me and my partner through two years of long-distance while increasing my probability of landing a job in Chicago. On the other hand, we might have to endure long-distance for longer just because I decided to go to Yale (or Tuck) and couldn't land a job in Chicago eventually. Not to mention that the added efforts and pressure to recruit for Chicago roles in MBB from far away will not make for a pleasant experience. And if for any one of the hundred potential reasons, the relationship didn't work out, I'd still have attended the school that I would if I were single, to begin with.

Hope you and your partner can have an honest conversation about what's best for you (and you both)! :)

Interesting points.... :thumbsup: :cool:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [3]
Send PM
Kudos