Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19737 [200]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1732 [118]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [8]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [5]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Scientist: In an experiment, dogs had access to a handle they could pu [#permalink]
Kudos
mikemcgarry GMATNinja egmat
I didnt even understand what E is trying to convey. Visible but not in the enclosure? What does that even mean? Besides how does helping a familiar dog is relavant to being in the enclosure or being visible?

PLease help
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 99
Schools: Molson '20
GPA: 3.96
Send PM
Scientist: In an experiment, dogs had access to a handle they could pu [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ArtVandaley

I know you requested expert help, but I'll give it a shot.

Scientist: In an experiment, dogs had access to a handle they could pull to release food into a nearby enclosure that contained a familiar dog and nothing else, contained an unfamiliar dog and nothing else, or was empty. The dogs typically released more food to the familiar dog than to the unfamiliar dog. This suggests that dogs are more motivated to help other dogs they know than to help unfamiliar dogs.

The scientist's argument would be most strengthened if it were true that, in the experiment, the dogs with access to the handle tended to release more food when

A. the behavior was being encouraged by a familiar person than when it was being encouraged by an unfamiliar person

B. the enclosure was empty than when it contained an unfamiliar dog

C. an unfamiliar dog in the enclosure was displaying hostility toward them than when an unfamiliar dog in the enclosure appeared friendly

D. a dog in the enclosure appeared uninterested in food already released into the enclosure than when it appeared interested in that food

E. a familiar dog was in the enclosure than when a familiar dog was visible but the enclosure was empty

In this experiment, the scientist came to the conclusion that the reason a dog provided more food to an familiar dog in an enclosure than to an unfamiliar dog in a separate enclosure is that the "participant" dog prefers to help a familiar dog than an unfamiliar dog. More specifically, if a familiar or unfamiliar dog is in an enclosure, it means that it may require help.

Choice E states that the enclosure (e.g. dog requiring help) may have nothing to do with it... the dog may be, in fact, just more likely to provide more food, or press the handle more, when this dog merely sees a familiar dog, whether that familiar dog is in an enclosure or not. Well, this would then mean that the dog doesn't necessarily care about helping. It just puts more food into an enclosure when it sees a familiar dog that is in that enclosure or anywhere visible (not necessarily in that enclosure). It may also be the case that when the dog sees an unfamiliar dog that is in the enclosure or anywhere around it, it will not press the handle as much (for some reason that we have not identified..

The key here is whether dog cares about helping or not. We can weaken the scientist's interpretation of the results if we can show that the dog may not care about helping.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Schools: Owen '22
Send PM
Re: Scientist: In an experiment, dogs had access to a handle they could pu [#permalink]
gmatt1476 Would be great to get an official explanation of this one. Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19737 [7]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmatt1476 wrote:
Scientist: In an experiment, dogs had access to a handle they could pull to release food into a nearby enclosure that contained a familiar dog and nothing else, contained an unfamiliar dog and nothing else, or was empty. The dogs typically released more food to the familiar dog than to the unfamiliar dog. This suggests that dogs are more motivated to help other dogs they know than to help unfamiliar dogs.

The scientist's argument would be most strengthened if it were true that, in the experiment, the dogs with access to the handle tended to release more food when

A. the behavior was being encouraged by a familiar person than when it was being encouraged by an unfamiliar person

C. an unfamiliar dog in the enclosure was displaying hostility toward them than when an unfamiliar dog in the enclosure appeared friendly

D. a dog in the enclosure appeared uninterested in food already released into the enclosure than when it appeared interested in that food

E. a familiar dog was in the enclosure than when a familiar dog was visible but the enclosure was empty

CR04161.01

Official Explantion

Argument Evaluation

Which one of the five experimental outcomes, if added to the information given, would most strengthen the evidence for the scientist's conclusion?

There were three enclosures, two of which contained a dog. Only one of these contained a familiar dog. The dogs released more food to familiar dogs than to unfamiliar dogs. The scientists thereby concluded that dogs are more motivated to help familiar dogs than they are to help unfamiliar dogs.

However, it is possible that releasing the food to the familiar dog could have been motivated by other reasons. For example, the dog could simply be trying to communicate with the familiar dog rather than necessarily trying specifically to help this dog.

If the dogs released more food to a familiar dog while it was contained in an enclosure than when it was not enclosed yet nearby and visible, this would strengthen the idea of trying to “help” the other dog.

A. This information would weaken the scientist's argument. It introduces information suggesting the presence of a confounding variable in the experimental setup. That is, if the behavior was encouraged by a familiar person, we would not be able to tell whether it was this person's presence or the presence of the other dog that increased the behavior.

B. This would suggest that the dog's activation of the lever was not contingent on providing food to another animal. In other words, if the dog provides food even when there is no animal to provide food for, then it follows that the presence of the other dog is irrelevant to this behavior.

C. The experimental setup described here introduces the factor of friendliness. Adding this extra factor could easily confound testing of the original hypothesis, which suggested that simple familiarity increased the behavior.

D. The experimental setup described here introduces a factor of food interest. Adding this extra factor could easily confound testing of the original hypothesis, which suggested that simple familiarity increased the behavior.

E. Correct. This information would strengthen the hypothesis that a desire to help a familiar dog was operative in the dog's behavior.

The correct answer is E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 261 [0]
Given Kudos: 306
Send PM
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
Can you please explain this question ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatt1476 wrote:

CR04161.01

I received a request that I comment.

Premise:
The dogs typically released more food to the familiar dog than to the unfamiliar dog.
Conclusion:
Dogs are more motivated to help other dogs they know than to help unfamiliar dogs.

The correct answer must strengthen the link between the release of food and the desire to HELP a familiar dog.
Note:
To receive food in the experiment, a dog must be in the enclosure.

E: The dogs tended to release more food when a familiar dog was in the enclosure than when a familiar dog was visible but the enclosure was empty.
Here, a familiar dog in the enclosure would receive food and thus would be HELPED, while a familiar dog that was visible but NOT in the enclosure would NOT receive any food and thus would NOT be helped -- STRENGTHENING the link between the release of food and the desire to HELP a familiar dog.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
It might be a good idea to put yourself in the scientist's shoes and ask yourself: what else could I do to prove the validity of my hypothesis?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Any expert can clarify this question pls.... VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM
Kudos
Honestly I couldn't even make sense of some of the options
Options C, D and E were completely incomprehensible for me

Is it just me or anyone else also felt the same?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Scientist: In an experiment, dogs had access to a handle they could pu [#permalink]
GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, VeritasKarishma, AnthonyRitz, CJAnish, MartyTargetTestPrep,AndrewN,VeritasPrepBrian

Dear experts, I genuinely need your explanation on D

my immediate thought is that because the dog in enclosure appeared uninterested in food , so it needed help, and the dog who has access to handle to release food would motivate to help the dog who shown uninterested in food.

experts, would you please point out my fault?

thanks in advance.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [5]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
The question is:

Why does the dog typically release more food to the familiar dog than to the unfamiliar dog?

Is it because the dog is more interested in helping the dog they know? Or is there any other reason?

If, as D says, the dog released more food to the uninterested dog than to the interested dog, then this is, if anything, a weakener. It suggests that whatever the dog's reason for pushing the lever, it wasn't to help the other dog -- since releasing food to an apparently-uninterested subject would not, presumably, help that subject. And if releasing food is not about helping, then the conclusion fails -- the dog is not trying to help the familiar dog by pushing the lever. So D is out.

(I'm not quite sure I fully understood your comment in favor of D. If I have not addressed your concern, please clarify and I'll try again.)

As for E, if the dog releases more food when the familiar dog is in the enclosure than when the familiar dog is merely present, then it's not the mere sight of a familiar dog, but the actual desire to help the familiar dog by giving it food, that must motivate this action. Like, maybe the dog just gets excited by the sight of a familiar dog, and wants to show its friend this new "lever" trick it has learned. But in that case it would push the lever whenever the familiar dog is present, whether or not the familiar dog is helped by this action. E rules out this alternative explanation by saying, "no, this only happens when the familiar dog is not just present but actually helped by the food."

Does this make sense?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
AnthonyRitz wrote:
The question is:

Why does the dog typically release more food to the familiar dog than to the unfamiliar dog?

Is it because the dog is more interested in helping the dog they know? Or is there any other reason?

If, as D says, the dog released more food to the uninterested dog than to the interested dog, then this is, if anything, a weakener. It suggests that whatever the dog's reason for pushing the lever, it wasn't to help the other dog -- since releasing food to an apparently-uninterested subject would not, presumably, help that subject. And if releasing food is not about helping, then the conclusion fails -- the dog is not trying to help the familiar dog by pushing the lever. So D is out.

(I'm not quite sure I fully understood your comment in favor of D. If I have not addressed your concern, please clarify and I'll try again.)

As for E, if the dog releases more food when the familiar dog is in the enclosure than when the familiar dog is merely present, then it's not the mere sight of a familiar dog, but the actual desire to help the familiar dog by giving it food, that must motivate this action. Like, maybe the dog just gets excited by the sight of a familiar dog, and wants to show its friend this new "lever" trick it has learned. But in that case it would push the lever whenever the familiar dog is present, whether or not the familiar dog is helped by this action. E rules out this alternative explanation by saying, "no, this only happens when the familiar dog is not just present but actually helped by the food."

Does this make sense?

thanks for your quick reply AnthonyRitz

what makes me favor of D of that some similar scenario around my life, like following:

when I went to a book store, and I spent sometime to find an interesting book, and my behavior showed I did not find an interesting book.
a shop assistant realized my problem, and (s)he helped me to find an interesting book.

so in my opinion, if I showed uninterested in something, and someone came to help me.

similar, if a dog showed uninterested in food, another dog came to help it.

that's why I tough D shows the dog's motivation to help.

please point out my reasoning bug.

thanks in advance.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
zoezhuyan wrote:
AnthonyRitz wrote:
The question is:

Does this make sense?

thanks for your quick reply AnthonyRitz

what makes me favor of D of that some similar scenario around my life, like following:

when I went to a book store, and I spent sometime to find an interesting book, and my behavior showed I did not find an interesting book.
a shop assistant realized my problem, and (s)he helped me to find an interesting book.

so in my opinion, if I showed uninterested in something, and someone came to help me.

similar, if a dog showed uninterested in food, another dog came to help it.

that's why I tough D shows the dog's motivation to help.

please point out my reasoning bug.

thanks in advance.

Ah, see, the problem appears to be a misunderstanding of the meaning of the word "uninterested." If you are "uninterested" in something it means you do not want it. If I'm uninterested in food, I don't need help, I don't need food, I'm not interested. So it wouldn't be helping to dump food into my enclosure. If I'm uninterested in books, I'm probably not walking around a bookstore in the first place. But even if I am in a bookstore looking around, if I appear uninterested in books (i.e. if I appear not to have any desire to find a book), it would be totally inappropriate and actively unhelpful for a salesperson to come and try to show me books -- books that, again, I am not interested in. Being "uninterested" in something is not a condition of wanting or needing someone to rectify your "interest" in that thing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
Hey experts,

Had there been an option that said —

The dogs with access to handles tended to release more food when a familiar dog was visible but the enclosure was empty than when the enclosure contained an unfamiliar dog.

Would the above option strengthen the given argument?

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
goaltop30mba wrote:
Hey experts,

Had there been an option that said —

The dogs with access to handles tended to release more food when a familiar dog was visible but the enclosure was empty than when the enclosure contained an unfamiliar dog.

Would the above option strengthen the given argument?

Posted from my mobile device

Hey I am far from being an expert but probably not. This would kind of weaken the argument as it might indicate that the visibility of the friendly dog gets the dog with the handles excited and he releases food in excitement and not particularly to help dogs and the argument revolves around helping.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
Kudos
EducationAisle GMATNinja
I am not able to understand option E.
Can you please help?
My understanding of the argument:
A familiar dog was visible but the enclosure was empty -->What does that even mean? A familiar dog was not inside the enclosure. It was roaming around, hence the enclosure was empty. The visible dog will not have access to the food.
I am not able to imagine the situation.

Thanks in advance.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
EducationAisle GMATNinja
I am not able to understand option E.
Can you please help?
My understanding of the argument:
A familiar dog was visible but the enclosure was empty -->What does that even mean? A familiar dog was not inside the enclosure. It was roaming around, hence the enclosure was empty. The visible dog will not have access to the food.
I am not able to imagine the situation.

Well, for all you know, both the dogs (the dog with access to handle and the familiar dog) could be on the same side (both of them, outside the enclosure).

Hope you are able to imagine the situation now. :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts