Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
High individual scores on two seprate tests, low total scores [#permalink]
There is no scientific way in which to add up scores from two entirely different tests and no way to make sense of independent subsection scores. You simply cannot say that you are a 80+ percentiler on verbal and another 80+ percentiler on quant, even though your actual scores show otherwise.

A knowledgeable adjudicator would never do this because it violates testing principles and fairness considerations. Reputed PhD programs will not add up or average your scores as a rule. MBA programs may follow similar approaches.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Re: High individual scores on two seprate tests, low total scores [#permalink]
Expert Reply
martin1243 wrote:
Hi everyone,

On my first GMAT exam I was in the 82nd percentile for Verbal and 60th for Quant (which was very strange bcs on practice tests I was much better in Quant). This resulted in a 680.

On my second GMAT I was in the 71st percentile for Verbal and the 86th percentile for Quant. This is a 700 score.

Two pretty low scores (on 800) -way below the average of the university i want to get in. BUT my individual best scores (82nd perc. Verbal and 86th perc. Quant) are quite high -higher than the minimum required for that same university.

Does a combination of two scores "count" as a good score? Will they perceive me as a 'high performer' who gets the required scores or as a 'low performer' with a 700 GMAT score?
Otherwise, I would have to keep retaking (and paying for) the test until those scores "happen to be" on the same day.

Thank you for clearing this out for me.

Hi martin1243,

Unfortunately, the combination of scores doesn't work. But the good thing is, you are capable of getting good score in both the sections. So, make sure to focus equally on both Quant and Verbal while preparing because it is common to neglect your stronger area while you focus on the weaker one. This time, make a proper study plan, dedicate good number of hours for both the modules and make sure you book the slot only when you get consistent scores in the mocks.

If you have any more queries or wish to have a detailed discussion on the study strategy, you can get in touch with me using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi martin1243,

Although it would be great for you if it was possible, combining your top quant and verbal scores from your two exams is not something that will happen. However, it’s clear that you are capable of getting a high quant and high verbal score, so you just need to find a way to put it all together on one exam. If you decide to retake the GMAT and need some advice, feel free to reach out. Lastly, here is a helpful article:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success
GMAT Club Bot