Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [58]
Given Kudos: 330
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [10]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [5]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [2]
Given Kudos: 330
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Send PM
Re: While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists foun [#permalink]
Kudos
Confused between Appear vs. Appears, I selected 'A', which was wrong.
Kindly help narrowing down to right answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [3]
Given Kudos: 239
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.82
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists foun [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
siddreal wrote:
Confused between Appear vs. Appears, I selected 'A', which was wrong.
Kindly help narrowing down to right answer.

My first trial I chose "B" and then realized that I mistakenly identify the subject of "Appear"
Ok let's take a look at original sentence
"While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appear to be the second most massive dinosaur to ever live."

So here's the question what does "What" refers to??
logically if you look at the sentence, you can make simplify version as
"Paleontologists found bones from something"
Here you can use your common sense to answer where the bones are from??
Obviously they must be found from "the dinosaur" so the proper Verb for what should be singular V.

Or you can answer this question by typical question sentence struture
Let's say you want to change the sentence "The dinosaur appears to be most massive dinosaur."
How can we change it into question sentence form? Normally we do it in this structure "Wh. question word + V. + S."
So you can see that the real subject is behind V. that's why your answer should be "appears"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
siddreal wrote:
While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appear to be the second most massive dinosaur to ever live.

(A) paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appear to be the second most massive dinosaur to ever live
(B) paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appear to be the second most massive dinosaur ever living
(C) paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appears to be the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived
(D) huge fossil bones have been found by paleontologists, which appear to be from the second most massive dinosaur ever living
(E) huge fossil bones were found from what appear to paleontologists to be the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived

A) "what appear to be" should modify "massive dinosaur". Since dinosaur is singular, "appear" is incorrect usage
B) Same as A
C) Correct
D) "which" incorrectly refers paleontologists
E) too wordy and repeats the error of A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q163 V155
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
GMATNinja daagh SIRS

i think the contenders are ABC but i am not able to understand how the subject is the dinosaur

plz guide
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists foun [#permalink]
While digging in the Egyptian desert,

(C) paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appears to be the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived
new C: paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appears[/s] to be [s]the second most massive dinosaurS that ever lived

AndrewN AjiteshArun: I would like to confirm if I change dinosaur to dinosaurS then appears would change to appear?
I am little confused, so your insights would be helpful.
( I read as : paleontologists found huge fossil bones from XYZ. what is XYZ .
in new D: XYZ is dinosaurs, so the sentence should be read as
paleontologists found huge fossil bones from things that appear to be XYZs
paleontologists found huge fossil bones from thing that appearS to be XYZ

Am I right in analysis?

Thanks!

Originally posted by mSKR on 28 Feb 2021, 22:29.
Last edited by mSKR on 01 Mar 2021, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
While digging in the Egyptian desert,

new C: paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appears[/s] to be [s]the second most massive dinosaurS that ever lived

AndrewN AjiteshArun: I would like to confirm if I change dinosaur to dinosaurS then appears would change to appear?
I am little confused, so your insights would be helpful.
( I read as : paleontologists found huge fossil bones from XYZ. what is XYZ .
in new D: XYZ is dinosaurs, so the sentence should be read as
paleontologists found huge fossil bones from things that appear to be XYZs
paleontologists found huge fossil bones from thing that appearS to be XYZ

Am I right in analysis?

Thanks!

Hello, mSKR. There is some debate over whether a substantive clause, in this case the what clause, must act as a singular subject or may adopt a plural subject-verb agreement. In general, it is safer to treat it as a singular entity, particularly on the GMAT™. I am not as comfortable with your proposed sentence as I am with the original for a different reason, though. The superlative most in most massive is a comparison within a larger group, and in this sentence, that group encompasses all dinosaurs. You would say the second most massive dinosaur, not the second most massive dinosaurs, just as you would say, in a different sentence, the second richest person, not the second richest persons/people.

For more on substantive clauses, I would suggest this Magoosh article. Happy reading.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep i am struggling to see the subject verb error here between answer choice A and C. can you please elaborate on this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep thanks! in this case, seems like "what" is acting as a pronoun? and that "what" can either act as singular or plural? hard for me to even think of it as a pronoun!

Are there any other errors that you see in A?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
shenwenlim wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep thanks! in this case, seems like "what" is acting as a pronoun? and that "what" can either act as singular or plural? hard for me to even think of it as a pronoun!

Are there any other errors that you see in A?

Yes, "what" is a pronoun, and it can be understood to be singular of plural.

In (A) the split infinitive "to ever live" is not ideal. Split infinitives can be OK, but in this particular instance, the meaning conveyed is a little funny. To do what? To ever live, as if "ever living" is a particular type of living.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
While digging at an oasis in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appear to be the second most massive dinosaur to ever live.

(A) paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appear to be the second most massive dinosaur to ever live

(B) paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appear to be the second most massive dinosaur ever living

(D) huge fossil bones have been found by paleontologists, which appear to be from the second most massive dinosaur ever living

(E) huge fossil bones were found from what appear to paleontologists to be the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived

Solution:
Confused between A & C: appear or appears?

Here the dinosaur whose fossil bones were discovered is compared with rest other dinosaurs known till now and after comparing, the sentence tells that, the dinosaur whose fossil bones were discovered appears to be the second most massive dinosaur.
Other way could be: from what, tells us about the entire scenario or a picture of huge fossil bones as a whole, and this scenario or picture seems to be singular and so appears is preferred to appear.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
shivendrapatil23 wrote:

Solution:
Confused between A & C: appear or appears?

Here the dinosaur whose fossil bones were discovered is compared with rest other dinosaurs known till now and after comparing, the sentence tells that, the dinosaur whose fossil bones were discovered appears to be the second most massive dinosaur.
Other way could be: from what, tells us about the entire scenario or a picture of huge fossil bones as a whole, and this scenario or picture seems to be singular and so appears is preferred to appear.

Hello everyone,

We hope this finds you well.

To simplify the point made above a bit, we can just say that the singular verb "appears" is the correct one because this verb is meant to act upon the singular pronoun "what".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM

Hi Experts

GMATNinja @VeritasKarishma EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep ExpertsGlobal5 IanStewart
other experts AnthonyRitz

Can someone please tell me the difference between to ever live and that ever lived
And which is correct in this sentence?
Option A & C
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Can someone please tell me the difference between to ever live and that ever lived
Option A & C

Actually since dinosaurs are long extinct, to have ever lived (perfect infinitive) would have been a better choice.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses perfect infinitive. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Perfect Infinitive.pdf [22.73 KiB]
Downloaded 37 times

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:

Option A & C

Thankfully, the GMAT isn't expecting you to make that decision! There's lots of good discussion in the thread, explaining why we need "appears" (singular) and not "appear" (plural), so you can rule out (A) without worrying about the distinction between "to ever live" vs. "that ever lived."

If (A) also had "appears", we'd be in a tough spot. Is "to ever live" absolutely WRONG? Probably not. Is "that ever lived" better? Maybe. But again, we don't need to make that call, so no sense wasting brain cells trying to invent rules for this sort of thing.

I hope that helps a bit!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts