Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618656 [8]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [4]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16593 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can 6 people be arranged in a circle if 2 particular [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Total ways to arrange 6 people in a circle = (6 - 1)! = 120

Total ways to arrange 6 people in a circle such that 2 people are always together = (5 - 1)! = 24 and these two people can be arranged in 2! ways. Therefore, total 24 * 2 = 48 ways

Total ways to arrange 6 people in a circle if 2 particular people are always separated: 120 - 48 = 72

Answer C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [0]
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can 6 people be arranged in a circle if 2 particular [#permalink]
Top Contributor
The number of circular permutations of n objects = (n-1)!

The total number of ways in which 6 people can be arranged around a circle is therefore 5! = 120, which is not our answer since this is not what we want. Answer option E can be eliminated.

Since we want to find the number of arrangements where 2 people are always separated, we can find the total arrangements (i.e. 120) and then subtract the number of arrangements where these two people are together.

Number of permutations where A and B (say) are together = Total permutations – Number of permutations where A and B are together

Number of permutations where A and B are together:
Since A and B have to be together, we consider them as ONE object. So, we now have a total of 5 objects (including the group of A&B). 5 objects can be arranged around a circle in 4! = 24 ways.

But, for each of these 24 ways, A and B can be arranged in 2! Ways.
Therefore, number of permutations where A and B are together = 4! * 2! = 48.

So, required number of permutations = 120 – 48 = 72.

The correct answer option is C.

In P&C questions with restrictions, using the backdoor approach saves time and effort and also ensures that we don’t get muddled in the various cases that the forward approach entails. Solving this question would be infinitely more difficult if we went about taking cases for organizing A and B separately.

Hope that helps!
Aravind B T
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can 6 people be seated around a circular table if [#permalink]
we have already taken out the relative position i.e AB & BA are out in 120, so it should not be subtracted
e.g. ABCDEF or BACDEF only one of them is counted in 120, but while subtracting you are using both case.
CrackVerbal

CrackverbalGMAT wrote:
If n people are seated in a circle on n similar chairs, then the total number of arrangements = (n - 1)!

Number of ways when they are always separated = Total seating possibilities - # of ways when they are always together.

Total possible ways = (6 - 1)! = 5! = 120

# of ways when they are always together: Assume these 2 people to be 1 unit. Then we have to arrange 5 units in a circle in (5 - 1)! = 4! = 24 ways.

Also these 2 people can interchange seats among themselves in 2! = 2 ways

Therefore total number of ways when they are always separate = 120 - (24 * 2) = 120 - 48 = 72

Option C

Arun Kumar
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [0]
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can 6 people be seated around a circular table if [#permalink]
Top Contributor
tramobile

You are considering the arrangement ABCDEF and BACDEF as a single arrangement and think that it is counted only once in the total 120 arrangements.

Let's analyze your above statement in detail.

Remember, 2 seating arrangements are considered different when the positions of the people are different relative to each other.

The example you have mentioned, i.e ABCDEF and BACDEF are 2 different arrangements because, in the arrangement ABCDEF, B is sitting between A and C in the circular table while in BACDEF, B will be sitting between F and A. Here, the position of B is different in both cases, Hence it should be counted as 2 different arrangements.

I hope this is clear for you and that's the reason we are subtracting both cases i.e 2!*4! from the total 120 arrangements.

Let's us know if you have any further queries.

Thanks,
Clifin Francis,
GMAT Mentor
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts