Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618797 [14]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [1]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618797 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
Re: Over the past two decades, a wide gap in pay has arisen between medica [#permalink]
Between (A) and (D), (D) seems to repeat what premise says whereas (A) tells us about the conclusion? AndrewN
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: Over the past two decades, a wide gap in pay has arisen between medica [#permalink]
There are 2 positions stated in the above passage:
1. Public and nonprofit agencies will be able to entice these professionals to return to public health jobs if salaries are made commensurate with those paid in the private sector.

2. The quality of medical care provided by public and nonprofit agencies will thus be improved.

I was focused on the latter position, the one about quality of care and that's how I ended up marking Option A when it came down to selecting between Option A or D.

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma : how can I avoid such a situation, going forward?

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Over the past two decades, a wide gap in pay has arisen between medical professionals who practice in the public health arena as opposed to those who practice privately. As a result, many doctors, nurses and other health professionals employed by public and nonprofit agencies have left their public health jobs in favor of private clinics and hospitals. Public and nonprofit agencies will be able to entice these professionals to return to public health jobs if salaries are made commensurate with those paid in the private sector. The quality of medical care provided by public and nonprofit agencies will thus be improved.

Which one of the following is presumed in the position stated above?

(A) The experience obtained by medical professionals in private clinics and hospitals will be especially important in the public health arena.

(B) How well public and nonprofit health agencies perform depends for the most part upon the experience level of their health professionals.

(C) Unless public and nonprofit health agencies act, the salaries paid to medical professionals in private practice will continue to outpace those paid in the public health arena.

(D) Medical health professionals who moved from the public sector to the private sector would change jobs again.

(E) If the pay disparity between the public and private medical sectors continues to increase, many doctors and nurses will move from private practice to the public health area.

Public vs private - big money difference
Many professionals have left public and gone to private
If salaries are made comparable, the professionals will be enticed to return
Quality of medical care provided by public sector will be improved

To establish the above, what is presumed?

(A) The experience obtained by medical professionals in private clinics and hospitals will be especially important in the public health arena.

The argument doesn't talk about less or more experience anywhere. It just says that let's get those "professionals" back to improve quality. Will the experience gained by them while in private sector help? We don't know.

(B) How well public and nonprofit health agencies perform depends for the most part upon the experience level of their health professionals.

Again, as we discussed above, "experience" is not being considered in the argument. We lost many professionals because they were being paid less; now we just want them back by giving them higher salaries. This will help improve quality.

(C) Unless public and nonprofit health agencies act, the salaries paid to medical professionals in private practice will continue to outpace those paid in the public health arena.

Will private salaries continue to outpace pubic salaries in future, we don't know.

(D) Medical health professionals who moved from the public sector to the private sector would change jobs again.

We are claiming that if we raise salaries in public sector, quality of public sector will improve. So we are assuming that the professionals will change their jobs again and come back. Correct.

(E) If the pay disparity between the public and private medical sectors continues to increase, many doctors and nurses will move from private practice to the public health area.

Incorrect. If pay disparity continues, it is likely that more professionals will move from public to private sector but in any case, we cannot say what will happen in the future.

Answer (D)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
lakshya14 wrote:
Between (A) and (D), (D) seems to repeat what premise says whereas (A) tells us about the conclusion? AndrewN

Hello, lakshya14. I will admit that when I read the passage, I thought the assumption might be that higher-quality doctors, nurses, and other health professionals were leaving the public sector in favor of the private sector, but that was not an answer choice. You will note that the passage simply states that many health professionals have jumped ship, so to speak, and made the switch. I thought the passage conflated higher salaries with higher quality, but so much for pre-thinking. I did still go with (D), though, and I wanted to discuss (A) more in depth in hopes that you will understand what rules it out.

Quote:

First off, the experience referred to is that which has come exclusively from time spent in private practice, completely ignoring any experience the health professionals may have had prior to leaving the public sphere. The passage drives at luring more professionals—through salary incentives—back to the public domain to improve the quality of medical care, but nowhere does it indicate that the experience gained within their private practice will be a crucial component to such an improvement. So, can we call such experience especially important? I would say no.

Meanwhile, (D) is a valid assumption. The reason provided for health professionals leaving the public sphere to begin with is the wide gap in pay. Since the passage goes on to argue that decreasing that pay gap would entice these professionals to return to public health jobs, we have to assume that such professionals would actually be willing to switch back to public practice for the argument to hold that the quality of medical care provided by public and nonprofit agencies will thus be improved. Choice (D) is not a simple restatement of what the passage says. There is still a missing link between the offer of more money and improved public healthcare. (That is, just because something is enticing, we cannot say that it will succeed in luring its target.)

I hope that helps. Pardon the later response, but I was running behind yesterday.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts