Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: From 670 to 590 [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
Verbal obviously proved to be your undoing.

Such drastic score fluctuations are generally symptomatic of shaky concepts; also, you have not provided any details in terms of what was your preparation strategy and which resources you used for your preparation.

Given that you do not seem to be willing to devote more than 14 days more for your preparation, I do not think that any fundamental alteration of strategy can be done in this very limited time frame.

Hence, my suggestion would be to continue practice from official sources and give around 3-4 official mock tests. Let's hope that this time, you land up on the right sign of your score-capability range.

Actualy I have another option.
If I renounce to NUS I can extend my time dedicated to preparation from 14 to 25 days (full time).

Until now I've used the following books and resources:
-ALL the Quant Manhattan
-ALL the Verbal "
-Advanced Quant "
-CR Bible PowerScore
- a couple of GMATclub CATs
-GMATclub grammar book

The only resource that I want add is the SC grail Wiley-Aristotle, since I heard good things about it.

I know that for me the Verbal score is all about SC.
During my MOCKs I've always performed very well in RC and CR, but almost always very badly in SC.

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. Assuming that you took your official practice exams under realistic testing conditions, the results show that, on a good day, you are capable of scoring higher than V21. Thus, it’s quite possible that nerves, stress, tiredness, or a combination of all three negatively affected your test-day performance. However, it’s also possible that you have some lingering weaknesses that were exposed on test day. Although I’m unsure of how you prepared, it’s possible that, in your preparation, particularly in verbal, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on the actual GMAT. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests. So, for you to hit your score goal, your preparation, particularly for verbal, probably needs to be more complete, meaning that you have to go through the various types of GMAT questions carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills.

For verbal specifically, you have to become more skilled at clearly defining the differences between trap choices and correct answers. Otherwise, you will get stuck guessing between two choices or be surprised to find that you incorrectly answered questions that you thought you answered correctly. Becoming more skilled in this way takes carefully analyzing all of the answer choices to lots of verbal questions to develop an eye for the logical differences between the choices. In other words, you have to go beyond answering practice questions and reading explanations to doing deep analysis of questions to learn to see everything that is going on in them.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant and verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find it helpful to read the following article:

Why Was My GMAT Score Lower Than My Practice Test Scores?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
From 670 to 590 [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. Assuming that you took your official practice exams under realistic testing conditions, the results show that, on a good day, you are capable of scoring higher than V21. Thus, it’s quite possible that nerves, stress, tiredness, or a combination of all three negatively affected your test-day performance. However, it’s also possible that you have some lingering weaknesses that were exposed on test day. Although I’m unsure of how you prepared, it’s possible that, in your preparation, particularly in verbal, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on the actual GMAT. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests. So, for you to hit your score goal, your preparation, particularly for verbal, probably needs to be more complete, meaning that you have to go through the various types of GMAT questions carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills.

For verbal specifically, you have to become more skilled at clearly defining the differences between trap choices and correct answers. Otherwise, you will get stuck guessing between two choices or be surprised to find that you incorrectly answered questions that you thought you answered correctly. Becoming more skilled in this way takes carefully analyzing all of the answer choices to lots of verbal questions to develop an eye for the logical differences between the choices. In other words, you have to go beyond answering practice questions and reading explanations to doing deep analysis of questions to learn to see everything that is going on in them.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant and verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find it helpful to read the following article:

Why Was My GMAT Score Lower Than My Practice Test Scores?

I think do you meant 27 instead of 21. Anyway, I read the article, very interesting. However, I can discard the majority of these issues; I would say that the only one that makes me suspicious is my verbal prep with regard to SC questions. On the one hand I'm sure that I have to improve my Quant, but the 45 line is clearly defined since for this section I scored: Cold mock 45,Manhattan 45, GMATclub 45,46 and 2 official Mock 45,47.
However, I really think that probably in the actual test,for the Verbal section, I have been very "unlucky" but at the same time very lucky during my MOCKs( 30,31,34,35). Otherwise these numbers have not any sense..
As I've previously explained I've always performed very well in CR and quite well in RC, so for these sections is very hard for me to explain what happened, but I'm sure to have made a disaster with SC.

Originally posted by Nik11 on 03 Mar 2021, 23:59.
Last edited by Nik11 on 04 Mar 2021, 02:38, edited 2 times in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nik11 wrote:

Well, you obviously are a man in bit of a hurry (for reasons I understand).

If you had more time, I would have suggested to try out our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana that is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

You can als go thru this post on how Soubhik, who scored V51 (overall score 780), vouches for our book.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Nik11 wrote:

Well, you obviously are a man in bit of a hurry (for reasons I understand).

If you had more time, I would have suggested to try out our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana that is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

You can als go thru this post on how Soubhik, who scored V51 (overall score 780), vouches for our book.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.

PM sent
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nik11,

I am sorry to know that your scores were not in line with your expectations. To improve in 2 weeks, it is important that you know with certainty where you faltered and where the improvement will come from.

Did you take the test online or in-center? If you took the test in center then I would recommend that you get the ESR. If you took the online GMAT, I would like to invite you to try a SIGma-X mock test. These tests are designed to give you not only an accurate assessment of your potential GMAT score but also a very detailed report of your performance. You will be able to pin-point your strengths and weaknesses and make a precise plan for the remaining of your preparation.

Follow the steps mentioned below to take SIGma-X mock test:

Once you take the test, you can write to our team at support@e-gmat.com for a detailed analysis of your performance and a plan to reach your target GMAT score.

Regards,
Aditee
Manager
Manager
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi Nik11,

I am sorry to know that your scores were not in line with your expectations. To improve in 2 weeks, it is important that you know with certainty where you faltered and where the improvement will come from.

Did you take the test online or in-center? If you took the test in center then I would recommend that you get the ESR. If you took the online GMAT, I would like to invite you to try a SIGma-X mock test. These tests are designed to give you not only an accurate assessment of your potential GMAT score but also a very detailed report of your performance. You will be able to pin-point your strengths and weaknesses and make a precise plan for the remaining of your preparation.

Follow the steps mentioned below to take SIGma-X mock test:

Once you take the test, you can write to our team at support@e-gmat.com for a detailed analysis of your performance and a plan to reach your target GMAT score.

Regards,
Aditee

Hi!!
I took the in-center one. Probably I'll follow your advice and I'll ask an ESR.
Actually I have around 3 weeks
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nik11,

Sure. Once you get the ESR, feel free to share it with us on support@e-gmat.com for an analysis and further plan of action. You can also watch this playlist to know how to analyse ESR by yourself.

Regards,
Aditee
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nik11 wrote:
Yes funny... Maybe not so much
As the title suggests, 4 days before the test I took 2 official MOCKs respectively 650(45,34) and 670(47,35). Actually, these scores were far less my target, but my time to prepare was over. However, in the actual test I got 590(45,27). How could this happen? I'm considering to retake it but I will have just 14 days full time and it will be my actual last chance...
What would you suggest?

Hi Nik11,

You can go through the article below to understand the probable reasons for the drop in the score and how you should plan your studies for the next attempt.

Scored well on mocks but failed miserably in the actual test?

I suggest you to first understand the reasons behind the drop in the score, get your prep right and only then go for the retake. I can guide you in a better way if you can provide me a little background about your GMAT study strategy, your weak areas and the approach you used to solve questions. We can get in touch over a call and have a detailed discussion on the same. You can use the below link to get in touch with me.

Click here to schedule a call
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMATWhizTeam wrote:
Nik11 wrote:
Yes funny... Maybe not so much
As the title suggests, 4 days before the test I took 2 official MOCKs respectively 650(45,34) and 670(47,35). Actually, these scores were far less my target, but my time to prepare was over. However, in the actual test I got 590(45,27). How could this happen? I'm considering to retake it but I will have just 14 days full time and it will be my actual last chance...
What would you suggest?

Hi Nik11,

You can go through the article below to understand the probable reasons for the drop in the score and how you should plan your studies for the next attempt.

Scored well on mocks but failed miserably in the actual test?

I suggest you to first understand the reasons behind the drop in the score, get your prep right and only then go for the retake. I can guide you in a better way if you can provide me a little background about your GMAT study strategy, your weak areas and the approach you used to solve questions. We can get in touch over a call and have a detailed discussion on the same. You can use the below link to get in touch with me.

Click here to schedule a call

At the moment I've revised my study strategy after having understood the pivotal mistakes that I've previously made. This is what I'm doing in order to find the weaknesses where it worth working on firstly.
For the Quant I've drilled a bunch of official 500 level questions for each single category in order to determine eventual specific weak areas. After around 175 questions I can definitely say that here there isn't any problem, 4 mistakes out of 175 questions, from which of whom I've understood a couple of misconceptions that I had. Therefore, I've moved on the 600 level and I'm figuring out where I'm strong(90% or higher accuracy), and where I'm weak (50-90 % accuracy). Finished this 2 phase I want to focus on bringing these weak areas to at least 90% accuracy, better if 95 (I always say 95 'cause 100 doesn't make any sense). Only after this process, that I hope won't take me more than 8 additional days, I will jump to 700 level questions to replicate it and to GMAT club tests.
For the Verbal the thing is quite similar... I started to solve each day 10 official questions for each specific section using only 500 lev. After 4 consecutive days of 100%(yes here 100 ahah) accuracy in both SC and RC(here even for 600 level) today I move on 600 questions for SC and 700 level for RC, whereas in CR I'm still at 90% (500 level) and I don't know if it worth stay here or go ahead(maybe the latter in terms of ROI). Appreciate any advice!!

n: Even though I know that general accuracy is not a reliable indicator of your skills and weak areas, I believe that when used in this way, so unpacked, is extremely reliable and useful, probably the best way to work.
GMAT Club Bot