Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20715 [63]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [25]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [18]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [15]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: The reason many people consider the Mediterranean island to be ungover [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2019

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 226

The reason many people consider the Mediterranean island to be ungovernable is because that the inhabitants long ago learned to distrust and neutralize all written laws.

(A) is because that the inhabitants long ago learned to distrust and neutralize
(B) is the inhabitants long ago learned distrusting and neutralizing
(C) was because of the inhabitants long ago learning to distrust and to be neutralizing
(D) is that the inhabitants long ago learned to distrust and to neutralize
(E) was on account of the inhabitants long ago learning to distrust and neutralize

Let's look at the possible errors in different choices..
1. Reason and Because
There is redundancy in using both. Both mean the same and only ONE to be used.
2. the reason IS x Vs the reason is THAT X....
If you are talking of a noun word as a reason, you can use
The reason for my success is you.
But if you want to talk of a phrase as a reason use THAT..
The reason for my success is that you motivated me ...
Here too there is a PHRASE, so you require THAT.
3) tense
In non underlined portion, we are using CONSIDER (present tense), so we require present IS here.
4) Infinitive and parallelism
TO distrust and TO neutralise

Only D left
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: The reason many people consider the Mediterranean island to be ungover [#permalink]
Kudos

Because that is incorrect.

That is not in place

(C) was because of the inhabitants long ago learning to distrust and to be neutralizing

Sentence is in present tense so was is incorrect.

It seems correct.

(E) was on account of the inhabitants long ago learning to distrust and neutralize

Was is incorrect

So I go for D.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [1]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Kudos
The reason many people consider the Mediterranean island to be ungovernable is because that the inhabitants long ago learned to distrust and neutralize all written laws.

(E) was on account of the inhabitants long ago learning to distrust and neutralize[/quote]

Answer D.

Thanks,
GyM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [2]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
Fact1 - reason and because should not come together. this will eliminate A,C
Fact2 - "The reason many people consider the Mediterranean island to be ungovernable" This part tells me that something in present tense is coming up, as these people still consider it. C and E eliminated.

(B) is the inhabitants long ago learned distrusting and neutralizing --- that is very important to tell the right meaning of this sentence. I cant say if it was just the inhabitants or they did something.
(D) is that the inhabitants long ago learned to distrust and to neutralize --- Correct use of that. moreover what they learned and what was its purpose is demonstrated effectively .

Read this post if you have not yet to understand what 'that' is doing in option D.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 43686.html
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2019

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 226

(D) is that the inhabitants long ago learned to distrust and to neutralize - CORRECT , Perfect Parallelism and correct use of present tense

Overall D wins the race as perfect parallelism "To neutralize" and "To distrust"
Also there is correct usage of present tense
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
in some OA in offical problems, "that" is omitted . but this is inferior and we should choose the choice with "that"

so, the concept of inferior on gmat is that inferior is no absolute wrong. this is not hard and fast rule.

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 26 Oct 2018, 02:08.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 31 Jul 2021, 04:53, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
thangvietnam - Please read this post, to know more about 'What that is doing?'

https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 43686.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
The first split:

Is/was: Was indicates a completed action in the past. The simple past verb tense is wrongfully applied here as its stated that the Mediterranean island is still ungovernable. This would imply that the effect of the distrust and neutralization is still active in the present. The simple past verb tense is incorrect. We can, therefore, eliminate C and E.

The second split:

A just sounds really weird, but we can't play by ear. So let's discern the grammar: We can discount A because of a parallelism error.
We can spot the parallelism marker of and: X and Y. To distrust and neutralize. According to the principle of parallelism, comparable sentence parts must be structurally and logically similar. To distrust is a verb that takes the infinitive form so according to the principle of parallelism neutralize must do the same. So we can discount A as an answer option.

The third split:

C is definitely parallel in the sense that they both use progressive tenses. But let's delve a little deeper. Learned distrusting and neutralizing all written laws. The sentence sounds incomplete for some reason.

I might be wrong, but I think the fact that we mention the reason idiomatically it should include the word the reason that. I assume this is an idiomatic error, so we discount answer choice C.

Hence we are left with D. D is correct because of the aforementioned reasons of other posters.

Hope this helped. Looking forward to your feedback!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, this is unrelated to any of the answers, but isn't the correct idiom for consider - Consider XY. The GMAT used consider X to be Y here and i would like to know what makes this usage correct in this question?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM