Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618704 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 287
Send PM
Re: The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring wind-powered [#permalink]
Hello expert, I have got down to C and E and eliminated C in a hurry but i want to know the strong reasons to eliminate E other than Which (that is referring to natural resource i guess)
@Veritasprepkarishma generis
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring wind-powered [#permalink]
Expert Reply
rocky620 wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo hi, shouldn't the verb be "overloads" instead of "overload", because it refers to "the flow"

In this case, "overload" is combined with the helping verb "does." "Does ... overload" agrees with the singular subject "that," which refers to "flow."
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
SonGoku wrote:
Hello expert, I have got down to C and E and eliminated C in a hurry but i want to know the strong reasons to eliminate E other than Which (that is referring to natural resource i guess)

In (E), the relative clause "which meets ..." is misplaced. It is nowhere near what it is meant to modify, "flow."

Also, "how a constant flow ... can be achieved" is a poor way to state what "the most vexing problem" is. How a constant flow can be achieved is not really a problem.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
RaviChandra wrote:
The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring wind-powered generation of electricity is achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload electrical grids with sudden voltage increases.

(A) achieving a constant flow of power from an unpred-ictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload

(B) achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, which meets demand but without overloading

(C) how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, a flow that meets demand but does not overload

(D) how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, but a flow that meets demand without overloading

(E) how a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source can be achieved, which meets demand but does not overload

This question is based on Parallelism and Construction.

The underlined portion of the sentence states the problem faced by the by researchers.

Idiomatically speaking, the noun phrase “how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source” is better as the object or subject complement of the clause “the problem is” than the participle ‘achieving’. So, Option C, D, or E would be a better choice than Option A or B.

The last part of the sentence gives a description of ‘the flow of power’. Parallelism must be maintained in the description.

In Option A, the phrase “but so the flow does not overload…” is not parallel to the clause “that meets demand”. So, Option A can be eliminated.

Option B also lacks parallelism – the clause “which meets demand” is not parallel to the phrase “but without overloading”. So, Option B can be eliminated.

Parallelism is maintained in Option C. The verbs ‘meets’ and ‘does’ are parallel to each other in the modifier “a flow that meets demand but does not overload..”. So, C is the best of all the options.

In Option D, the verb ‘meets’ is not parallel to the participle ‘overloading’. Even if we accept that the last part is a participle modifier describing the flow, the conjunction ‘but’ is inappropriate since there is no contradiction implied in the sentence. The description of the flow merely adds some information. So, Option D can also be eliminated.

In Option E, the relative pronoun ‘which’ is placed too far away from its supposed antecedent ‘flow’ to be logically and grammatically correct as a relative pronoun refers to the word placed immediately before it. So, Option E also can be eliminated.

Therefore, C is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Schools: Booth '23 (A)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
azoz7 wrote:
I was between option B and C. I went with B because I thought option C is a run on sentence. "a" was used a s a connector between the two sentences.

Can someone clarify the concept for me? why "a flow" is used to connect the two sentences?

Thanks
Hi azoz7,

A flow doesn't join two clauses here.

The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring wind-powered generation of electricity is how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, a flow that meets demand but does not overload electrical grids with sudden voltage increases.

a flow that meets demand... is just a modifier that tells us a little more about the flow mentioned earlier in the sentence. The option would be incorrect if we actually had a clause there. Let's remove the that so that the second flow has a verb:

The problem is how to achieve a constant flow of power, a flow meets demand... ← This is wrong (comma splice).

Bumping this thread- so AjiteshArun are you saying that the phrase following the comma "a flow that meets demand..." acts as a modifier for the previous phrase, similar to the functions of a "...ing" modifier? Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
mag3184 wrote:
Bumping this thread- so AjiteshArun are you saying that the phrase following the comma "a flow that meets demand..." acts as a modifier for the previous phrase, similar to the functions of a "...ing" modifier? Thanks in advance!

Hi mag3184,

Yes, that modifier just provides us more information about a constant flow of power.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
RaviChandra wrote:
The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring wind-powered generation of electricity is achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload electrical grids with sudden voltage increases.

(A) achieving a constant flow of power from an unpred-ictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload

(B) achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, which meets demand but without overloading

(C) how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, a flow that meets demand but does not overload

(D) how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, but a flow that meets demand without overloading

(E) how a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source can be achieved, which meets demand but does not overload

This question is based on Parallelism and Construction.

The underlined portion of the sentence states the problem faced by the by researchers.

Idiomatically speaking, the noun phrase “how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source” is better as the object or subject complement of the clause “the problem is” than the participle ‘achieving’. So, Option C, D, or E would be a better choice than Option A or B.

Hi CrackVerbalGMAT - what is the rule behind this? Or how do I just read up more on this? Asking because that was how I eliminated A and B but my elimination was more on common sense (a problem can't be achieving bla bla --- it has to start with a how or what)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMATNinja - can you please explain your thought process for this question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 659
Schools: LBS MFA "23
Send PM
Hero8888 wrote:
AOD wrote:
Need help to understand why 'C' is a better option than 'E'

On GMAT "which" should refer to a noun. In case of E "which" modifies the entire clause, and this is unacceptable (tho in speaking language we do so)

Isn't which referring to constant source of power?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 659
Schools: LBS MFA "23
Send PM
According to egmat , "which" can modify a slightly far away noun. Here in this case for option E, I assumed 'which' is modifying constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source . Where am I going wrong?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Poojita wrote:
According to egmat , "which" can modify a slightly far away noun. Here in this case for option E, I assumed 'which' is modifying constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source . Where am I going wrong?

Poojita, for sure which can reach back but still there is some ambiguity here. Ambiguity isn't an absolute rule, but the option C is so much better. We don't even have to think too much in option C. The way I look at it, GMAT skills are applicable to the real world. In the real world, I'll never see 5 choices for writing a particular sentence. Going through all the choices, it's pretty clear that it's the flow which should meet demand. Option C just makes it far clearer than E. I couldn't spot an absolute error with E, but C does the job better.

Hope this helps!
CrackverbalGMAT wrote:
RaviChandra wrote:

In Option E, the relative pronoun ‘which’ is placed too far away from its supposed antecedent ‘flow’ to be logically and grammatically correct as a relative pronoun refers to the word placed immediately before it. So, Option E also can be eliminated.

Jayanthi Kumar.

Is there any other (stronger) reason to eliminate E?
That it is placed too far away from its supposed antecedent ('flow') is not a very strong reason for eliminating this option.

Plus, C is more wordy/lengthy (and sometimes people eliminate an option for being too wordy/awkwardly long) - "how to achieve a constant flow....., a flow that......" - repetitive use of the word "flow" just to make it doubly sure for the person reading it that it is the "flow" (and nothing else) that meets demand but does not overload. Normal samples of good written English (BBC, WSJ, Economist, etc.) do not usually contain instances of a word being used multiple times in the same sentence à la option C.

What I'm trying to get to here is that while I agree that Option C may be marginally more lucid (though at the cost of employing repetition) in conveying the meaning properly than Option E, is there a less debatable reason for selecting Option C than Option E having non-idiot proof usage/placement of the word "which"?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jarlgrey wrote:
Is there any other (stronger) reason to eliminate E?
That it is placed too far away from its supposed antecedent ('flow') is not a very strong reason for eliminating this option.

Actually this is a very strong reason to eliminate E; in fact, "which" modifies "source" in option E.

Quote:
Plus, C is more wordy/lengthy.. repetitive use of the word "flow" just to make it doubly sure for the person reading it that it is the "flow" (and nothing else) that meets demand but does not overload.

This is not redundant repetition; as you've mentioned, this repetition adds a lot of meaning clarity to the sentence and GMAT uses this quite extensively. You might want to Google resumptive modifier, to get more comfortable with this construct.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses modifier issues of "which", their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 4
Send PM
a —> no parallel structure
b —> no parallel structure
c —> meets (parallel verb) but (parallel marker) does not overload (parallel verb)
d —> no parallel structure
e —> meets (parallel verb) but (parallel marker) does not overload (parallel verb)

C is better than E because E uses the passive voice and therefore it is wordier. C is definitely more clear than E.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts