Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
A Better Error Log [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the reply! You’re right in pointing out that the error log itself wasn’t the problem, and that my using the word “failure” isn’t quite right right here. Happy with the score, plus my experience was the inspiration for a fun project :)

Perhaps a better way for me to put is that - measured against what students aim to do - just using a static spreadsheet error log as a tool is incomplete.

I love the process you outlined, and completely agree that periodic review - as opposed to just doing new problems - is key. And it’s a simple idea - but my observation is that actually following through on a periodic review system can be quite difficult if your only tool is a spreadsheet. Life happens, work happens, a new problem set beckons seductively, and it's uncomfortable to review and find out what we're still missing:) It requires some management overhead / discipline to follow a good process.

So I say, why not have a tool that does what the error log does, and also helps you follow through on a periodic review system?

Again, I appreciate the comment! And if you’re amenable, would love to stay in touch. My goal really is to make it easier for students to do what teachers and tutors tell them to :)

Best,
Sunil
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: A Better Error Log [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
SunilRao wrote:
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the reply! You’re right in pointing out that the error log itself wasn’t the problem, and that my using the word “failure” isn’t quite right right here. Happy with the score, plus my experience was the inspiration for a fun project :)

Perhaps a better way for me to put is that - measured against what students aim to do - just using a static spreadsheet error log as a tool is incomplete.

I love the process you outlined, and completely agree that periodic review - as opposed to just doing new problems - is key. And it’s a simple idea - but my observation is that actually following through on a periodic review system can be quite difficult if your only tool is a spreadsheet. Life happens, work happens, a new problem set beckons seductively, and it's uncomfortable to review and find out what we're still missing:) It requires some management overhead / discipline to follow a good process.

So I say, why not have a tool that does what the error log does, and also helps you follow through on a periodic review system?

Again, I appreciate the comment! And if you’re amenable, would love to stay in touch. My goal really is to make it easier for students to do what teachers and tutors tell them to :)

Best,
Sunil

Sure, Sunil, feel free to keep in touch with me right here, on GMAT Club. As I said before, I am curious to see where this project of yours leads and just how dynamic the improved log will be.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hello out there! For all those currently preparing or just beginning to prepare for the GMAT, I've built a tool that helps you simply - and actually - follow through on a periodic redo system.

It's live at mygmatlog dot com.

It was emphasized to me repeatedly in my course at Manhattan Prep that keeping an error log and redoing "stretch" problems was the key to improving my score. MyGMATLog will help you "keep the most important thing... the most important thing."

For the thinking behind this tool, check out two great easily googleable articles from Manhattan Prep titled "Error Log: The #1 Way to Raise Your GMAT Score!!" and "Advanced Error Log: Tie Your Hands Behind Your Back."

Feel free to let me know if you've any questions/issues. Would love to hear your feedback.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Schools: ISB '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Hello SunilRao, when I type in the website, chrome tells me that it is unsafe - Security certificate has expired. Can you please look into it?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot