Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [14]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT Date: 10-06-2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [2]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [0]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: The naked mole rat is unique because it can run as fast backwards as [#permalink]
to the original poster : can u please put the official explanation for rejecting C . i feel "since" is wrong in C

Quote:
On second thought I didn't understand the reason for rejecting statement 4 only on It's because It's can be expanded into "it is"... So in a way this usage is right

NO . GMAC never uses contractions . it is really weird for kaplan to put such contractions in a SC question . either it is mistake on the part of original poster so may be kaplan has done that mistake. "it's" is definitely wrong in GMAC SC
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: The naked mole rat is unique because it can run as fast backwards as [#permalink]
it's is possessive and should be used for referring back to possessive antecedents. Also ideally we should avoid using possessive and non possessive pronoun for the same noun.

In statement 4 we have both : it and its : so that is a red flag for me.

For sure usage of "that" is not correct, but as i was reading vertically , statement 4 was out before i reached "that" :)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Quote:
it's is possessive and should be used for referring back to possessive antecedents. Also ideally we should avoid using possessive and non possessive pronoun for the same noun

the possessive is "its" NOT "it's" ,so no matter what "it's" is definitely wrong, unless of course the original poster has made a mistake . BTW "it's" only means "it is" and nothing else !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:
it's is possessive and should be used for referring back to possessive antecedents. Also ideally we should avoid using possessive and non possessive pronoun for the same noun

the possessive is "its" NOT "it's" ,so no matter what "it's" is definitely wrong, unless of course the original poster has made a mistake . BTW "it's" only means "it is" and nothing else !!

Right my fault. thanks for pointing out.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
to the original poster : can u please put the official explanation for rejecting C . i feel "since" is wrong in C

Quote:
On second thought I didn't understand the reason for rejecting statement 4 only on It's because It's can be expanded into "it is"... So in a way this usage is right

NO . GMAC never uses contractions . it is really weird for kaplan to put such contractions in a SC question . either it is mistake on the part of original poster so may be kaplan has done that mistake. "it's" is definitely wrong in GMAC SC

SINCE is wrong because it is generally used to indicate the passage of time
BECAUSE is used to indicate a cause

so definitely usage of SINCE in Statement 3 is wrong :roll:
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Quote:

is this what kaplan's official statement? if not then can u please guide the source where u have read this? i am saying this because my reasoning of eliminating "since" is not this. according to me "since" can be used to reason out just as "because" . A word can have different usages!! .the reason i have eliminated "since" is because the meaning of SC becomes wrong if we use "since" as "because" here .there is no "causality" in the stated facts
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT Date: 10-06-2014
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

Regarding it's - it sounds like a contender because - "it is the only animal known to do that" - it is clearly not the possessive hence can be valid. Please correct me if my approach is wrong somewhere
- I would definitely cut it out because of the vague "that" at the end
- and the fact that there are too many pronouns - moreover the second pronoun is far away from the noun
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

is this what kaplan's official statement? if not then can u please guide the source where u have read this? i am saying this because my reasoning of eliminating "since" is not this. according to me "since" can be used to reason out just as "because" . A word can have different usages!! .the reason i have eliminated "since" is because the meaning of SC becomes wrong if we use "since" as "because" here .there is no "causality" in the stated facts

This is not Kaplan's official statement. It is my understanding.

Since is generally used in GMAT to indicate when an action started.
Because is used to indicate a cause.

Also, "Because of" cannot be used to replace "due to"

"Due to" indicates "caused by"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
A and B out because wrong use of "which"
C and D eliminated because deteriorate meaning (we need mole running forward as fast as doing backward)

E wins with good use of semicolon
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.3
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Quote:
The naked mole rat is unique because it can run as fast backwards as forwards, which is not known to exist in any other animal.
A. because it can run as fast backwards as forwards, which is not known to exist in any other animal
B. because they can run as fast backwards as forwards, which is not known to be the case with any other animal
C. since it can run equally efficiently backwards as forwards; this skill is not known to exist in any other animal
D. since it runs as well backwards as forwards, and it’s the only animal known to do that
E. in its ability to run as fast backwards as forwards; this skill is not known to exist in any other animal

Question though - In C & E, as a rule of thumb, the clause that follows a semicolon is always independent, what does "this skill" refer to? Or more specifically, what does "this" refer to? There should be a clear antecedent, innit? Also, can I slash and burn C because of the awkward phrase "equally efficiently"?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
kapslock20 wrote:
The naked mole rat is unique because it can run as fast backwards as forwards, which is not known to exist in any other animal.
@
  • A. because it can run as fast backwards as forwards, which is not known to exist in any other animal
  • B. because they can run as fast backwards as forwards, which is not known to be the case with any other animal
  • C. since it can run equally efficiently backwards as forwards; this skill is not known to exist in any other animal
  • D. since it runs as well backwards as forwards, and it’s the only animal known to do that
  • E. in its ability to run as fast backwards as forwards; this skill is not known to exist in any other animal

Can anyone explain why the other answer choices are wrong apart from the general ",which", "they" (subject very disagreement) etc

Reason for Option 4 to be wrong is : one is awkward construction & secondly look into the sentence after and.

And is preceded by comma, In correct GMAT Sentence and is preceded by comma only in 2 cases.
Case 1 : Before the last object in a list of more than 2 elements.
Case 2 : While connecting 2 Independent clause.

Now, It is clear Case 1 is present in the question in hand
Case 2 : We need to check whether clause following and is an IC or not ? (Ask yourself does the clause make complete picture i.e. it’s the only animal known to do that ...to do what ?? , NO the clause is not IC

Hence sentence is wrong structure wise.

Regards
LS
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
The OA reasoning is :-

At first, this sentence may sound perfectly fine. But there is a minor issue here with the logic of this sentence. The naked mole rate is not unique "because" of its ability to run backwards; the fact that it can run backwards is the way in which it is unique, not the cause of its uniqueness. "Because" can only be used in actual causal relationships. For example, "He was wet because he got caught in the rain," or "She was warm because she was wearing a coat." When talking about a certain trait, it makes more sense to use "in that." For example, "This painting is special in that it is the only portrait drawn by this artist."

The other problem with this sentence is that it uses the word "which" incorrectly. The word "which" must be proceeded by a comma and refer to the noun phrase immediately before the comma, or else it is wrong. Here, the word "which" must refer to the ability of the rat, but the phrase before the word "which" doesn't specifically refer to the ability. We'll need an answer choice that fixes this problem.

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

There is a clear and useful 2-2-1 split here, based on the first few words of each choice. (A) and (B) both begin "because," (C) and (D) both begin "since," and choice (E) begins "in its ability."

Eliminate Wrong Answer Choices:

Based on the information we gathered in steps one and two, our path is clear. We can rule out (A) and (B) because they both use the word "because." Similarly, we can rule out choices (C) and (D), because "since" also cannot be used unless the sentence describes an actual causal relationship. This leaves us with Answer Choice (E), which must be correct. When we read it back into the original sentence, we see it solves all the problems we originally spotted, including the problem with the word which. It simply replaces the word "which" with the phrase "this skill," a substitution which clarifies the situation.

There are other problems with the other answer choices. Both choices (A) and (B) use the word "which" incorrectly. Choices (C) and (D) both change the meaning of the sentence; saying the rat runs "equally efficiently" or "as well" backwards and forwards is not identical in meaning to saying that the rat runs "as fast" backwards and forwards

However, I am bit confused between C and E. I get E is better because of meaning issue. I am somewhat not clear why since is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Please do not make it so complicated!! ;)

A & B are incorrect because they use the word "which" incorrectly.
C & D distort the intended meaning of the sentence, as comparison element is just "speed" nor wellness and efficiency.
E remains and is correct

if you like, do not hesitate to press kudos !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Hi All,

Although I selected the right choice. I am still confused about the usage of "this skill" in choice E. Can this refers to "the ability of running as fast backwards as forwards"? As I have read that this is the pronoun and can't refer to the action.

Regards,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
kapslock20 wrote:

A. because it can run as fast backwards as forwards, which is not known to exist in any other animal

B. because they can run as fast backwards as forwards, which is not known to be the case with any other animal

C. since it can run equally efficiently backwards as forwards; this skill is not known to exist in any other animal

D. since it runs as well backwards as forwards, and it’s the only animal known to do that

E. in its ability to run as fast backwards as forwards; this skill is not known to exist in any other animal

Can anyone explain why the other answer choices are wrong apart from the general ",which", "they" (subject very disagreement) etc

A & B incorrectly use which, C & D has structure issue.

Correct answer is E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts