Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Impression on Adcom - part-time startup work alongside Full-time Job [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
blackhawk121:

The pleasure is ours.

Please reach out to us if you need help putting together your application this year. We do a great job of personalizing strategies and stories for our individual clients. Someone with a background such as yours would need a clean narrative to ensure you were both present at your previous job and yet previously engaged enough on a part-time basis with your now current job to have had an impact then and in the present.

You have a great background and will do very well in the application process!

Best,
Admissionado
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Impression on Adcom - part-time startup work alongside Full-time Job [#permalink]
Admissionado:

I do have a quick followup question on this topic, something I could use some advice on-

I mentioned that I will have worked at the startup full-time for 3 months (July-October) at the time my R1 applications go out ( after 2 years of part-time work).
Taking your advice, I've decided to talk about my part-time work also on my resume in the following format -

CompanyName
XYZ Lead position (Full-time), July 2021 - present
XYZ Developer position (Part-time), July 2019 - July 2021

- accomplishment 1
- accomplishment 2
- accomplishment 3

--

Now, out of all the things I'll be writing in the 3 accomplishment points, a good chunk of those would be from the past 2 years of part-time work and not just the last 3 months of full time work.
Do you think that would be a problem? I ask because I'm not sure to what extent the adcoms would be okay with me talking about my achievements from the part-time phase at the current company.
Admissionado
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
blackhawk121:

This is a smart format. I would not overthink it. What you had laid out is transparent and authentic. The AdCom is detail focused, but it is not trying to parse details the way you are describing them. The main point is to capture the dates and titles of your experience (you have done this) and your accomplishments.

You MAY get a question about what it was like working for the start-up on a part-time basis (which is fair) but that will just be to understand your capacity to multitask and not to chip away at your credibility. I am confident you will be able to explain that more than adequately.

Point being, you are probably being overly cautious in all of this. That's not a problem for now. Make sure you capture the best of the best in your resume for this start-up role and have confidence that the AdCom will reward you for your achievements!

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Admissionado
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts