Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2544 [23]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Non-profit
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1235 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: A researcher studying corporate executives found that they tend to hav [#permalink]
Kudos
mohankumarbd wrote:
A researcher studying corporate executives found that they tend to have “take charge”
personalities, with the predominant traits of assertiveness, decisiveness, and self-confidence.
The researcher concluded that people who are more “take charge” than the average person
are more likely to become corporate executives. Which of the following, if true, most
seriously weakens the researcher’s conclusion?

Main CR Qs link - Main link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html

This is another causal reasoning question.

People who have "take charge" (CAUSE) ----> (EFFECT) Become executives.
One of the way to weaken this causal relationship is to show that the REVERSE RELATIONSHIP holds true. Becoming executive lead them to develop "take charge" personality.

Option A is correct.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: A researcher studying corporate executives found that they tend to hav [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The argument: People with "take charge" personalities are likely to become executives. How do we weaken? By showing that people who become executive do not necessarily have "take charge" personalities.

(A) Holding the job of a corporate executive causes people to develop “take charge” personality traits.

Bullseye: Having an executive job makes someone have a "take charge" personality. That is, it is the job that causes the "take charge" personality, and not the fact that "take charge" people are drawn to the executive job.

(B) When working on charitable or community projects, corporate executives often use their ability to make decisions and lead people to make those projects successful.

Does not relate.

(C) Some people who are not executives have stronger “take charge” personalities than some people who currently serve as corporate executives.

This one is tempting. But it DOESN'T really weaken the argument. After all, the argument is that "take charge" people are the only ones that the become executives, not that the only job "take charge" people have is that of an executive.

(D) Many people who aspire to become executives exhibit different management styles in their current jobs.

Does NOT relate to those who are executives (aspiring and actually being are two different things).

(E) The executives that the researcher studied were often unsuccessful when they tried to manage their family activities as they do their business activities.

Totally unrelated.

Hope that helps :).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts