Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Anderson($$$) vs Haas for MBB consulting

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
Anderson($$$) vs Haas for MBB consulting [#permalink]
Expert Reply
It is always hard to make these calls. It was easy to write that post in the vacuum but every situation seems to be so different and money scarce.

We don’t have a good Haas presence on GMAT Club to figure out if Haas has MBB on campus recruiting. It is still a competition for MBB though.

The folks I know fro Haas worked for a variety of great companies. One did take a 2nd tier consulting company job but it was a good deal.

I am somewhat jaded about LA in general - I don’t feel it is a great MBA job market especially for an international person who won’t get sponsored at Raytheon or aerospace companies.

LA is Entertainament industry ( Disney, universal, etc) and some mid and small business jobs. There is Snap, for now that is.

I would see if Haas AdCom can connect you with other Canadian students or alums to get an idea of opportunities and also ask them about on campus recruiting.

Take a look at GMATClub School Reviews meanwhile.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anecdotally, I was doing research on tuck a year ago And found a few people who work for Accenture or Deloite and seem to have gone back based on their LinkedIn profile. That seems pretty silly to me until one of the alums clarified that all the guys going back to second-tier consulting companies were actually sponsored. He knew them personally. That’s when I stopped trusting LinkedIn as much.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Anderson($$$) vs Haas for MBB consulting [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Hi and congratulations on your admits!

Haas >> Anderson.

Anderson does not have great on campus recruiting

Hello bb, can you elaborate on that point? I am actually applying to Anderson and from what i have heard they have a stellar career center (Parker). I was under the impression that recruiting at Anderson is highly appraised. Thanks for your insights.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBA Journeys
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Schools: Haas '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
I was in literally the exact same position. I had an $80k offer from Anderson and no $ from Haas. I would say both schools are incredible - both their career centers and their cultures. You can get PM roles from both schools, but Haas is definitely strong for MBB. I would spend some time reflecting on which culture you resonate more with.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi dominationstation,

Would you be able to share which school you selected eventually and why?

Thanks a lot!

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBA Journeys
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Schools: Haas '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
TorontoMBA wrote:
Hi dominationstation,

Would you be able to share which school you selected eventually and why?

Thanks a lot!

1) Tech focus (silicon valley is in our backyard)
2) my family and GF are in the bay area
3) Cultural fit - I grew up with blue and gold in my veins (my dad went to Cal, and I grew up going to Cal football games all my life)

I wrote about the decision in detail here:
https://www.mbajourneys.com/interviews/jason-yee

Also DM'd you, we can hop on a call.

Jason
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Simply wanted to share some additional data and ask for your views.

I reached out to career management centers (CMC) and students both at Berkeley and UCLA.
I was very disappointed with Berkeley CMC - they simply ignored me even though I am an admitted student with a Berkeley ID.
UCLA CMC exceed all my expectations - I got all the statistics/details requested, without any sugarcoating.
Student response rate over LinkedIn requests was around 50% for both schools.

Two findings were shocking to me (highlighted in red):

Consulting placements overall
UCLA : only 50% of students looking for consulting (around 90 per year) job get something - UCLA CMC data
Berkeley : pretty much everyone who searches consulting job gets something - Berkeley student data

MBB placements
UCLA: 10-12 students per year (excluding sponsored) - UCLA CMC data
Berkeley : half of students going to consulting get MBB - Berkeley student data

International students placement
Both UCLA and Berkeley place pretty bad international students into consulting, with MBB being hardly attainable for an international
It appears that only one international student from UCLA got MBB consulting in the last few years (even that student lived
in the U.S. and attended U.S. universities)
Students from both schools said that getting MBB jobs at their countries of origin was quite easy

Placements in California overall (not necessarily consulting)
UCLA : places very well in Los Angeles but recruiting for San Francisco becomes already challenging (UCLA student data)

Overall verdict:
Even full-ride at UCLA does not justify going there with the consulting career goal UNLESS one plans to return to home country post-MBA. The risk of not getting anything in the US is very high

I would love to hear if someone has other data or can highlight the flaws in this quick analysis (the one flaw I see already - it's not right to fully rely on Berkeley student data)

Originally posted by TorontoMBA on 15 Feb 2019, 06:57.
Last edited by TorontoMBA on 15 Feb 2019, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
TorontoMBA wrote:
Simply wanted to share some additional data and ask for your views.

I reached out to career management centers (CMC) and students both at Berkeley and UCLA.
I was very disappointed with Berkeley CMC - they simply ignored me even though I am an admitted student with a Berkeley ID.
UCLA CMC exceed all my expectations - I got all the statistics/details requested, without any sugarcoating.
Student response rate over LinkedIn requests was around 50% for both schools.

Two findings were shocking to me (highlighted in red):

Consulting placements overall
UCLA : only 50% of students looking for consulting (around 90 per year) job get something - UCLA CMC data
Berkeley : pretty much everyone who searches consulting job gets something - Berkeley student data

MBB placements
UCLA: 10-12 students per year (excluding sponsored) - UCLA CMC data
Berkeley : half of students going to consulting get MBB - Berkeley student data

International students placement
Both UCLA and Berkeley place pretty bad international students into consulting, with MBB being hardly attainable for an international
It appears that only one international student from UCLA got MBB consulting in the last few years (even that student lived
in the U.S. and attended U.S. universities)
Students from both schools said that getting MBB jobs at their countries of origin was quite easy

Placements in California overall (not necessarily consulting)
UCLA : places very well in Los Angeles but recruiting for San Francisco becomes already challenging (UCLA student data)

Overall verdict:
Even full-ride at UCLA does not justify going there with the consulting career goal UNLESS one plans to return to home country post-MBA. The risk of not getting anything in the US is very high

I would love to hear if someone has other data or can highlight the flaws in this quick analysis (the one flaw I see already - it's not right to fully rely on Berkeley student data)

I think for MBB recruiting Berkeley is better than Anderson. But as an internationally student, it is going to be hard either way. If i were you, i would go Berkeley and network really hard. A lot of companies are not sponsoring internationally students like they used to. So you must really really stand out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
TorontoMBA
I am in the exact same boat as you.
What did yo u decide and what your experience? Can you kindly share.

Thanks!

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
West coast schools are not that great with consulting placement. The more focused on tech just because that’s who mostly hires there and local jobs available.... consulting has also been a pain with people getting burned out faster than usual... many consulting firms are understaffed but aren’t willing to expand and hire more people. That is what’s happening now so potentially that creates some opportunities in the future. Not sure if that will stretch out all the way to years out.

Personally, was how crazy things have been, cash in hand is always nice.

blackpearl23 wrote:
TorontoMBA

Thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 502 [1]
Given Kudos: 250
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
blackpearl23 wrote:
TorontoMBA

Thanks!

I see that you've also gotten into Kellogg. If consulting is your goal, that's hands down your best option - neither Haas nor Anderson come remotely close. As an international, recruiting MBB from Anderson would be the toughest.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts