Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
Ergenekon wrote:
I think the answer to this question will always be ambiguous to non - native speakers:)

Hi Ergenekon, I don't take that for an answer, because I am a non-native speaker too:).

Let's give it another shot, with a fresh example, that you can better associate with.

Prior to 2012, GMAT used to have two essays as part of AWA. In 2012 however, GMAC introduced the IR section, replacing one of the AWA essays. So:

i) Prior to 2012, GMAT had two essays as part of AWA
ii) Since 2012, GMAT has had one essay as part of AWA.

How would we articulate this in a sentence?

A 2012 change in the pattern of GMAT reduced the number of essays that students are asked to attempt as part of the GMAT exam.

Now, why can’t we articulate the sentence as:

A 2012 change in the pattern of GMAT reduced the number of essays that students had been asked to attempt as part of the GMAT exam.

For this, let’s understand the intent of the sentence. Students are asked to attempt what as part of the GMAT exam? Well, students are asked to attempt essays as part of the GMAT exam. So, that (in that students…) is clearly referring to essays (and not to number of essays).

Summarily, students attempted essays even prior to 2012; students attempt essays even now (and hence the construct: students are asked to attempt, because students are asked to attempt essays even now). The only thing that changed/reduced in 2012 was their number. Hence, the sentence:

GMAT reduced the number of essays that students are asked to attempt as part of the GMAT exam.

Let me know if it is now making some sense:).

Ok, makes sense. So, can we conclude safely that while using past perfect tense the entire event or the effect of that event no longer exist?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mayank221133 wrote:
Ok, makes sense. So, can we conclude safely that while using past perfect tense the entire event or the effect of that event no longer exist?

While there are very few blanket statements that are applicable on GMAT, I would say that this would largely be true in most cases.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.

(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump
The use of past perfect tense is incorrect in the sentence. Though “ a 1972 agreement” might tempt you to mark A, we have to understand the use of past perfect tense. The past perfect tense is used for the former event when there are two events in the timeline.
The use of “had been allowed” means that this was a former event (not the case now)
Hence the use of past perfect tense is incorrect.

(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping
The use of past perfect continuous tense is incorrect. Past perfect continuous tense is used to talk about an action that started in the past, continued for a while (action in progress- ing form), and ENDED in the past. Incorrect.

(C) reduces the phosphate amount municipalities have been allowed to dump
We are talking about a 1972 agreement. We cannot use simple present tense- "reduces" to talk about what was decided in the agreement. Incorrect.

(D) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump
Generally, municipalities are allowed to dump x amount of phosphates into the Great Lakes. But a 1972 agreement reduced that amount.
The agreement between Canada and the US reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.
Correct.

(E) reduces the amount of phosphates allowed for dumping by municipalities
same as C.
allowed for dumping is not idiomatic.

Vishnupriya
GMAT Verbal SME
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
GMATGuruNY - regarding tenses for option C [have been allowed to dump] and tense for option D [are allowed to dump] specifically

Per my undertanding, both tenses in option C and Option D are BOTH referring to the UPPER LIMIT CURRENTLY ALLOWED just prior to the signing of the 1972 agreement ?

What is wrong with Option C is the "Reduces" and not the have been allowed to dump

Can you confirm if my understanding is accurate

Thank you !
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3135 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
GMATGuruNY - regarding tenses for option C [have been allowed to dump] and tense for option D [are allowed to dump] specifically

Per my undertanding, both tenses in option C and Option D are BOTH referring to the UPPER LIMIT CURRENTLY ALLOWED just prior to the signing of the 1972 agreement ?

What is wrong with Option C is the "Reduces" and not the have been allowed to dump

Can you confirm if my understanding is accurate

Thank you !

C: A 1972 agreement...reduces the amount
It is not possible for a 1972 agreement -- an agreement in the PAST -- to perform an action in the PRESENT (reduces).
Eliminate C.

C: the amount...that municipalities have been allowed to dump
Here, the present perfect verb have been allowed implies a PAST action that affects the PRESENT.
As a result, the amount allowed TOMORROW might differ from the amount allowed IN THE PAST and TODAY.
Not the intended meaning.
The intention meaning is that the allowed amount remains constant.
To express a GENERAL TRUTH about the allowed amount, we use the SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE, as in the OA:
the amount...that municipalities are allowed to dump
Eliminate C.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
GMATGuruNY wrote:

C: A 1972 agreement...reduces the amount
It is not possible for a 1972 agreement -- an agreement in the PAST -- to perform an action in the PRESENT (reduces).
Eliminate C.

C: the amount...that municipalities have been allowed to dump
Here, the present perfect verb have been allowed implies a PAST action that affects the PRESENT.
As a result, the amount allowed TOMORROW might differ from the amount allowed IN THE PAST and TODAY.
Not the intended meaning.
The intention meaning is that the allowed amount remains constant.
To express a GENERAL TRUTH about the allowed amount, we use the SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE, as in the OA:
the amount...that municipalities are allowed to dump
Eliminate C.

Hi GMATGuruNY - followup on C, regarding have been allowed

Is time period of have been allowed from 1972 onwards (agreement sign date) to the June 3rd 2021 only (Today's date specifically) ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3135 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
followup on C, regarding have been allowed

Is time period of have been allowed from 1972 onwards (agreement sign date) to the June 3rd 2021 only (Today's date specifically) ?

The verb in red implies that the act of allowing began at some point in the past and that this act might -- or might not -- continue in the present.
If the intent were to convey that the act of allowing began in 1972, then the red verb would require some sort of time modifier, perhaps as follows:
the amount that municipalities have been allowed since 1972 to dump
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1614
Send PM
If the sentence had been "A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities *have been* allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.", would this have been correct?

Doesn't it mean that they reduced the amount of phosphates starting from the past(1972) to the present? And please help me identify how 'are' is correct here.

I would forever be grateful to you if you could help out here.

Thank you
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
GRE 1: Q168 V160
Send PM
A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.

(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump

I chose A because my initial thought was that municipalities were allowed to dump a certain amount prior to 1972 (hence why I OKd the use of 'had been'), and in 1972, this was reduced. Clearly the OA states that this is incorrect, but can someone confirm? How do I make sure that I don't fall into this trap? Because to me it makes perfect sense for something to be allowed at some point, and then a subsequent agreement reducing it.

In other words, the 1972 agreement has reduced the amount that municipalities were previously allowed to dump. Or is this illogical because it implies that the action of dumping, which occurred before 1972, has ended?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
samsung1234 wrote:

I chose A because my initial thought was that municipalities were allowed to dump a certain amount prior to 1972 (hence why I OKd the use of 'had been'), and in 1972, this was reduced. Clearly the OA states that this is incorrect, but can someone confirm? How do I make sure that I don't fall into this trap? Because to me it makes perfect sense for something to be allowed at some point, and then a subsequent agreement reducing it.

In other words, the 1972 agreement has reduced the amount that municipalities were previously allowed to dump. Or is this illogical because it implies that the action of dumping, which occurred before 1972, has ended?

Good question, one that gets to the heart of what makes SC so challenging. To see why the use of the past perfect in (A) doesn't make sense, consider two examples, one logical, one not.

By 2016, Tim had been cut by every team in the G-league, some of which he never even attempted to play for.

Here, we have a past action -- Tim getting cut -- occurring before 2016, which is also in the past. Maybe he was cut in 2013 and 2014, etc. This makes sense.

But now look at the following:

In 2014, Tim was cut from the Santa Cruz Warriors, a move that had reduced his playing time.

Because of the use of the past perfect, the action, "had reduced" must have occurred before 2014. But that doesn't make any sense. How could Tim's getting cut in 2014 have reduced his playing time in 2013 or 2012? It couldn't have. Rather, the move would impact his playing time going forward.

Same wonky logic in this example. The agreement happened in 1972. But if it reduced the amount of phosphates towns had been allowed to dump, then we're somehow reducing the amount that was allowed in 1971 or 1970 or earlier. We can't retroactively change what was once allowed! We can only impact the amount allowed going forward from the time of the agreement. So, the use of the past perfect in (A) is incoherent.

I hope that clears things up!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced [#permalink]
The trick is
A, B the agreement reduced the phosphates dumped in the past, ie reduce the phosphates retrospectively "had been allowed to dump" - not saying it is wrong, but this is the part verbal reasoning comes it - this does not make much sense, agreement doesn't do this generally, it is to regulate things going forward not an action plan to remedy things in the past

C, E = reduces and the dumping tense unmatched; also not 100% logical to think a 1972 agreement only takes effect now "reduces"

Ans = D: may be confusing but in fact reduced = apply to the agreement in the past in 1972; while the effect continues "are allowed" - the countries are still bound by it
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced [#permalink]