Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [2]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Re: How is GMAT Total Score Calculated? Are IR and AWA Important? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
WillMont10 wrote:
Hi team -

I've got the next 4 months or so off work and am planning to buckle down and take the GMAT, although I am admittedly still in the early phases of prep. I'm trying to wrap my head around what my areas of focus should be and I'm confused by the inclusion of the AWA and IR sections in the GMAT Total Score if everyone is mostly focused on Quant and Verbal. So my question is, are the AWA and IR sections mandatory and included in the GMAT total score or do people just skip them? If they are included in the Total Score why are there not more resources available to tackle them as opposed to Quant and Verbal?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Hi WillMont10,

Your overall GMAT score is only based on Quant and Verbal scores. The scores of IR and AWA do not affect your GMAT score. You cannot skip them during the test. I suggest you to answer them carefully as a few schools look at them during the admission process.

You might find the below articles helpful.

How to calculate GMAT scores?

Understanding GMAT scores and percentiles

Do IR and AWA scores matter?

Hope it helped. Feel free to get in touch if you have any more queries.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi WillMont10,

Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so giving yourself 4 months of study time is a smart choice. Both the IR and AWA/Essay Scores are separate results that are NOT part of the your Overall Score out of 800. Many Business Schools have publicly stated that they do not use an applicant's IR score when evaluating an application, so you likely have nothing to be concerned about when it comes to your IR performance. However, if you're interested in what a specific School/Program thinks about the IR score, then you should research that School directly (you might also consider contacting the School to ask). Many Programs expect applicants to be able to write at a reasonable 'level' (re: a 4.0 or higher out of 6.0) - and that is fairly easy to do on the GMAT (and there are a number of different 'templates' that you can use to help you work through the AWA).

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can access 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have that Score, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Thanks all for the clarification! This is super helpful!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
How is GMAT Total Score Calculated? Are IR and AWA Important? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi WillMont10,

Since you are just starting out with your GMAT studying and have questions about how the GMAT is scored, I have two helpful articles for you:

How Is the GMAT Exam Scored?

How to Start Studying for the GMAT: 5 Steps for Success

If you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out.
GMAT Club Bot
How is GMAT Total Score Calculated? Are IR and AWA Important? [#permalink]