Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [17]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: The Farmsley Film and Performing Arts Center was built three years ago [#permalink]
The answer provided is B.

It looks to be that E is a better option than B. Reason: E talks about a theatre which has no context to the Farmseley Arts center (totally unrelated) whereas option B talks about expensive restaurants (due to which there might be more spending). Please explain how the answer provided by them is right.

B is the good choice than E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Re: The Farmsley Film and Performing Arts Center was built three years ago [#permalink]
Harshjha001 wrote:
IMO C

C says that people don't spend in downtown because they visited Farmsley center , rather they were already spending their money in the downtown and they visited Farmsley center because they were in the area. X is not causing Y , Y is causing X.

B says that restaurants are expensive and hence the total bill has gone up . But what if people dont visit these restaurants and just shop and leave . Just because the restaurants are expensive doesn't mean people are necessarily visiting it .

Not satisfied with the OA .

Can anyone explain me this ?

I felt the same thing. can someone pls explain
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 279
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sanya2711 wrote:
Harshjha001 wrote:
IMO C

C says that people don't spend in downtown because they visited Farmsley center , rather they were already spending their money in the downtown and they visited Farmsley center because they were in the area. X is not causing Y , Y is causing X.

B says that restaurants are expensive and hence the total bill has gone up . But what if people dont visit these restaurants and just shop and leave . Just because the restaurants are expensive doesn't mean people are necessarily visiting it .

I felt the same thing. can someone pls explain

Hi,

I am no expert, but this is my take.

C suggests that people attended the center only because they were in the area. That still means there is something that the center has and other attractions(if any) don't have. In the absence of the center, the people might have just left instead of shelling out around 96$. So in a way, it is playing a significant economic role
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
I see that since my last post, (C) is gaining some traction in the thread. I would like to address why this answer choice is not what we are seeking here. The idea is that if people are already in the area spending money, and they then happen to take in a show at the Farmsley Center, the Center itself is not the driver of the economic success of downtown Metropolis—the arrow of causality is reversed. Apparently, downtown shopping is the driver, the Center a beneficiary of such success. My quick take on each of the answer choices is as follows (you can read more about (B) and (E) in my earlier post):

Quote:
(A) People who do not attend a Farmsley Center show spend $103 on average when shopping in the downtown area.

Obviously, if people who do not take in a show at the Center tend to spend more than those who do at downtown-area businesses, then the effect of the figure cited as evidence in the passage, the $96, is diminished. This fits our condition as a weakener, the opposite of the EXCEPT of the question.

Quote:
(B) Restaurants near the Farmsley Center tend to be more expensive than restaurants in other areas of the downtown.

We cannot say, without further information, whether the restaurants are more expensive because they can afford to be—i.e. that the Center attracts more people to the area—or whether the restaurants themselves could be the draw. The fact remains that people spend $96, on average, in the area during the same day that they attend some function at the Center. This is not an airtight answer, but we cannot definitely say that this new consideration weakens the claim. Leave it alone for now.

Quote:
(C) Most of the people who attend films or performances at the Farmsley Center do so because they are already in the area to shop.

As discussed above, if the majority of people go to the Center because they happen to be in the area, then the Center itself cannot be said to draw them there, and the downtown shopping district ought to get more credit than the claim gives it—i.e. downtown shopping is a significant driver of the economic success of downtown Metropolis, even if the Center helps bring in more money. This does not fit our EXCEPT condition.

Quote:
(D) Tax revenues from all products and services sold in the downtown area have changed little in five years.

What do taxes have to do with the claim? Well, if taxes on goods and services in the area have not changed much in five years, then it seems strange to say that the Center, built three years ago, is fueling the economic success of that very downtown. Apparently, it is only helping to keep things about the same. Thus, this new information would weaken the claim.

Quote:
(E) Another downtown theatre is the only one large enough to show popular, newly released Hollywood films.

Maybe this other theatre is drawing in the crowds more effectively than the Farmsley Center. It can still be true that people who attend a show at the Center spend an average of $96 on the same day, but we have reason to doubt that the Center itself is the hub of the economic success in the area. In other words, we have another weakener on our hands.

To be clear, I think the question could use a cosmetic touchup, with a change from a significant driver to the most significant driver, since, in real life, we often see an interwoven web of businesses and activities in an economically successful area, any one of which could be called a (not the) significant driver of that success. However, we also need to consider the question frame, which is not that of a must-be-true question, but one that asks us to cast serious doubt on the claim. Open-ended questions such as this one often prove trickier because we cannot achieve the same sort of ironclad argument we might be able to reach by pointing to certain evidence in other types of passages. You simply have to go with the best of the bunch, in keeping with the linear logic that the passage presents. Here, for the reasons I have outlined above, I would choose (B).

Perhaps we may get on OE down the line, or someone from Manhattan Prep may be kind enough to address the question.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Harshjha001 wrote:
IMO C

The question stem says that all choices weaken the argument except one.
You're right that X doesn't cause Y but Y causes X hence it weakens the argument and is not the answer.
Regarding the correct answer, not an airtight answer for me but it doesn't weaken the argument

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts