Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [1]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Why cheddar cheese should inhibit tooth decay is unclear, but Dr. Bowe [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Why cheddar cheese should inhibit tooth decay is unclear, but Dr. Bowen, who reports this effect in her study, speculates that the food might interfere with the acid that decays teeth or with the bacterium that produces the acid.

A. Why cheddar cheese should inhibit tooth decay is unclear

B. Cheddar cheese and how it inhibits tooth decay is not clear

C. How cheddar cheese should inhibit tooth decay is not clear

D. That cheddar cheese inhibits tooth decay and how is unclear

E. Why there is an inhibition of tooth decay by cheddar cheese is unclear

SC16901

New York Times, Dec 19, 1980

Attachment:
Annotation 2020-06-10 212101.png

I chose the answer option C. I do not understand why A is correct but not C. I mean, the doctor speculates how the cheese inhibits tooth decay because it is unclear. Please explain?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Why cheddar cheese should inhibit tooth decay is unclear, but Dr. Bowe [#permalink]
Expert Reply
SonamRa wrote:
Thank you to experts for clarifying the confusion between A and C, and usage of why and how.

Ishaan18 wrote:
GMATNinja can you please post a detailed solution to this problem. Still confused between the usage of how and why?

anonymous19 wrote:

I chose the answer option C. I do not understand why A is correct but not C. I mean, the doctor speculates how the cheese inhibits tooth decay because it is unclear. Please explain?

Lots of folks asking about (A) vs (C)... and with good reason! This is a fairly subtle point, and I wouldn't kill too many brain cells worrying about this one -- I doubt it will help you much on a future question.

That said, let's give it a shot by examining the following questions:

• "How should cheddar cheese inhibit tooth decay?" - This suggests that there are various ways for cheddar cheese to inhibit tooth decay and that the cheese (or it's makers?) need to decide how (or by what mechanism) the cheddar cheese should do it.
  • "How does cheddar cheese inhibit tooth decay?" - This one suggests that cheddar cheese DOES inhibit tooth decay -- and we're just asking about the mechanism: "Okay, we know that cheddar cheese inhibits tooth decay, but how?"
  • "Why does cheddar cheese inhibit tooth decay?" - I think this is pretty much the same as the last one. You might argue that the use of "why" suggests that the cheese has some conscious reason for inhibiting tooth decay ("WHY did you leave me, cheddar cheese? WHY??? :cry: ). But we use "why" like this all the time (i.e. "Why is the sky blue?" or "Why does my stomach hurt after eating seven burritos and drinking a six-pack of beer?" :-P ).
  • "Why should cheddar cheese inhibit tooth decay?" - As explained in an earlier post, the "should" suggests that, generally speaking, we expect cheddar cheese to inhibit tooth decay. (Will it always inhibit tooth decay? No... but it should.) And now we are just asking about the mechanism: "Okay, we know that it should inhibit tooth decay, but why? Why on Earth should cheddar cheese inhibit tooth decay??"

So, if we KNEW that the cheddar cheese inhibited tooth decay, we would go with the 2nd option. By using the 1st, (C) seems to suggest that there's a decision to be made, and that's not appropriate. And hopefully the 3rd and 4th examples illustrate why the "why" is okay in (A). ;)

Again, this isn't super important, so I wouldn't waste too much time on this distinction!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [2]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Why cheddar cheese should inhibit tooth decay is unclear, but Dr. Bowen, who reports ...
A. Why cheddar cheese should inhibit tooth decay is unclear
C. How cheddar cheese should inhibit tooth decay is not clear

The distinction between A and C is subtle.
GMAT experts with a 'good ear' may say instinctively that A is right and C is wrong, but even they will probably find it hard explain why exactly this is so (because they are GMAT experts, not expert copy-editors).
Anyone who is at below 40+ in verbal will not even see such a question, unless it appears as a test question. So it may not be a good use of your time to struggle with the A vs C issue.

When in doubt, if something like this were to appear on the real test, use what you know. Look for other reasons to eliminate an answer.
Notice that A uses 'UNCLEAR', whereas C uses 'NOT CLEAR'. 'NOT CLEAR' is not wrong, but 'UNCLEAR' is probably better.
Choose A, and move on.

Back to A vs C:
A says "Why cheddar should inhibit tooth decay is unclear" : no error
The following would have been fine too. They are grammatical and have much the same meaning.
- Why cheddar inhibits tooth decay is unclear
- How cheddar inhibits tooth decay is unclear

"How X should do Y is unclear" may be acceptable in a different context.
For example, I think it is acceptable to say "How we should prepare is unclear". Meaning, we know have to prepare but are not sure how to go about it.
That meaning will not fit in this question.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by vv65 on 14 Apr 2021, 21:01.
Last edited by vv65 on 14 Apr 2021, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
" the food might interfere with the acid that decays teeth or with the bacterium that produces the acid"

Isn't this part of the sentence answering the 'how' question and not the 'why' question? If so, shouldn't C be the more appropriate answer?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vatsal323 wrote:
" the food might interfere with the acid that decays teeth or with the bacterium that produces the acid"

Isn't this part of the sentence answering the 'how' question and not the 'why' question? If so, shouldn't C be the more appropriate answer?

Check out this post, if you haven't already.

There is definitely some overlap between "how" and "why." If you ask me WHY cigarettes are bad for you, I might explain HOW the ingredients in cigarettes affect the body. If you ask me WHY the sky is blue, I might explain HOW the atmosphere impacts the incoming sunlight (even though you didn't directly ask me, "HOW does the atmosphere/sunlight make the sky appear blue to the human eye?").

Again, please refer to this post for more on A vs C.

I hope that helps a bit!

Originally posted by GMATNinja on 15 Apr 2021, 19:23.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 16 Apr 2021, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
fixed typo
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
vatsal323 wrote:

Check out this post, if you haven't already.

There is definitely some overlap between "how" and "why." If you ask me WHY cigarettes are bad for you, I might explain HOW the ingredients in cigarettes affect the body. If you ask me WHY is the sky blue, I might explain HOW the atmosphere impacts the incoming sunlight (even though you didn't directly ask me, "HOW does the atmosphere/sunlight make the sky appear blue to the human eye?").

Again, please refer to this post for more on A vs C.

I hope that helps a bit!

Hi GMATNinja sir,

I already spent my some brain cells on this questions. I want to make sure my efforts are in line.

Here is the summary of your previous post. Please comment if my understanding is right.( refer the excel sheet)

For this particular question, Tooth decay happened is UNCLEAR- so it means that we are surpirsed that tooth decay happen . We are curious how on earth it actually happened. So it matches with (i.) in the excel sheet pic.

if we were given a statement that tooth decay has happened then we would have proceed with ii, iii or iv depending on what information we would have got.

What do you say?

Thanks GMATNinja
Attachments

Why vs How.png
Why vs How.png [ 39.02 KiB | Viewed 2583 times ]

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Hi GMATNinja sir,

I already spent my some brain cells on this questions. I want to make sure my efforts are in line.

Here is the summary of your previous post. Please comment if my understanding is right.( refer the excel sheet)

For this particular question, Tooth decay happened is UNCLEAR- so it means that we are surpirsed that tooth decay happen . We are curious how on earth it actually happened. So it matches with (i.) in the excel sheet pic.

if we were given a statement that tooth decay has happened then we would have proceed with ii, iii or iv depending on what information we would have got.

What do you say?

Thanks GMATNinja

I definitely don't think it's worth trying to pin down rules governing why vs how based on one single question. Again, I don't think this distinction is going to help you much, if at all, on any future questions.

mSKR wrote:
For this particular question, Tooth decay happened is UNCLEAR- so it means that we are surpirsed that tooth decay happen

I don't think this is quite right, unfortunately. When we say that "cheddar cheese should inhibit tooth decay," that means that we generally expect cheddar cheese to inhibit tooth decay -- but that doesn't mean it will happen every time (as explained in this post).

But yes, if it were certain that cheddar cheese always inhibits tooth decay no matter what, then it would make more sense to ask, "How (or why) does this happen?" For our thoughts on "how should," check out this post.

Now please delete that spreadsheet and save your brain cells for... anything else! :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
"SHOULD", on GMAT, is used for depicting moral obligation, but it will be inappropriate to use 'SHOULD' as per the context?

Can anyone help here?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pyaasa
The comment by ajh258 overlooks a couple of important things. First, the word "why" has a much wider range of meanings than the indication of intent. Why is the sky blue? Why do I have to take the GMAT? Why didn't we win the game? The word "why" is used any time we want a reason, and that reason may have nothing to do with thinking beings and their intentions.

Second, as others have pointed out above (see the comment by FridaElisa), the word "should" later in the sentence is very important. We can research how cheddar prevents tooth decay, but how it *should* do so is a whole other story. I don't think anyone is looking into what cheese *should* do.

So why is "should" there? It's a way of expressing surprise at an unexpected occurrence. When the sentence says "Why cheddar cheese should inhibit tooth decay is unclear," it's basically saying "We don't see why this would ever happen" before reporting that it does happen and providing one theory of why it happens. I remember when that research came out, but still go easy on the cheese--it's also been found to be chemically addictive! ;)
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos