Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [20]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [3]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1611 [0]
Given Kudos: 1679
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological expertise, views on [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The company's chief executive, whose technological expertise, views on the future of the industry, and decision-making style were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from her own.

(A) were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from

(B) impressed the managers who worked with her, also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from

(C) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, that included executives at rival companies, whose approaches were different substantially in comparison to

(D) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, who included executives at rival companies, the approaches of whom differed substantially when compared to

(E) were an impression to the managers who worked with her, also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches were often substantially different from that of

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

B

The first word of the underlined portion should not be singular, since it refers to all three items in the preceding list. Thus, (C) and (D) can be eliminated. The phrase "were an impression", which opens (E), is extremely unidiomatic, so (E) can eliminated as well.

If you focus only on the beginning of the underlined portion, (B) is preferable to (A), as (B) does not employ the passive voice. This is a subtle distinction, but the sort of thing that makes one answer superior to another on a di¢ cult question. Also, "also was acknowledged" is preferable to "was also acknowledged", since there was no previous "was" in the sentence, and "also was acknowledged" put the entire verb ("was acknowledged") in one place. Choice (B) is correct.

Hello sir what about comparison at last sentence.

" whose approaches often differed substantially from" here ...in A and in B option...are we not comparing approach to her.

The thing that we need to compare here is the approach. That's why i eliminated both.

Please correct me.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological expertise, views on [#permalink]
jrk23 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The company's chief executive, whose technological expertise, views on the future of the industry, and decision-making style were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from her own.

(A) were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from

(B) impressed the managers who worked with her, also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from

(C) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, that included executives at rival companies, whose approaches were different substantially in comparison to

(D) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, who included executives at rival companies, the approaches of whom differed substantially when compared to

(E) were an impression to the managers who worked with her, also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches were often substantially different from that of

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

B

The first word of the underlined portion should not be singular, since it refers to all three items in the preceding list. Thus, (C) and (D) can be eliminated. The phrase "were an impression", which opens (E), is extremely unidiomatic, so (E) can eliminated as well.

If you focus only on the beginning of the underlined portion, (B) is preferable to (A), as (B) does not employ the passive voice. This is a subtle distinction, but the sort of thing that makes one answer superior to another on a di¢ cult question. Also, "also was acknowledged" is preferable to "was also acknowledged", since there was no previous "was" in the sentence, and "also was acknowledged" put the entire verb ("was acknowledged") in one place. Choice (B) is correct.

Hello sir what about comparison at last sentence.

" whose approaches often differed substantially from" here ...in A and in B option...are we not comparing approach to her.

The thing that we need to compare here is the approach. That's why i eliminated both.

Please correct me.

This question is made up from this official question. https://gmatclub.com/forum/bluegrass-mu ... ml#p511544
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
Send PM
generis GMATNinja, could you breakdown A vs B?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Jitu20 wrote:

This question is from this official guide. https://gmatclub.com/forum/bluegrass-mu ... ml#p511544
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
The company's chief executive, whose technological expertise, views on [#permalink]
lakshya14 wrote:
Jitu20 wrote:

This question is from this official guide. https://gmatclub.com/forum/bluegrass-mu ... ml#p511544

This is an OG question?

The explanation is super wonky:

Also, "also was acknowledged" is preferable to "was also acknowledged", since there was no previous "was" in the sentence, and "also was acknowledged" put the entire verb ("was acknowledged") in one place. Choice (B) is correct.

I find it terrible that 'also was acknowledged' is preferred over 'was also acknowledged'. What's the rule in the English language that suggests that 'was' has to come a prior?

Bunuel is this an official question? I think it's important to know in light of the above. This is a recurring issue that I have seen in other sentences.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
The company's chief executive, whose technological expertise, views on [#permalink]
CEdward wrote:
lakshya14 wrote:
Jitu20 wrote:

This is an OG question?

Also, "also was acknowledged" is preferable to "was also acknowledged", since there was no previous "was" in the sentence, and "also was acknowledged" put the entire verb ("was acknowledged") in one place. Choice (B) is correct.

I find it terrible that 'also was acknowledged' is preferred over 'was also acknowledged'. What's the rule in the English language that suggests that 'was' has to come a prior?

Bunuel is this an official question? I think it's important to know in light of the above. This is a recurring issue that I have seen in other sentences.

The link provided in the previous one has the original question from official guide.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
lakshya14 wrote:
CEdward wrote:
lakshya14 wrote:

This is an OG question?

The link provided in the previous one has the original question from official guide.

generis GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep can you chime in on this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations
Send PM

(A) were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially "whole technological expertise......" is a modifier of the company's executive. were is incorrect.

(B) impressed the managers who worked with her, also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from----need the verb that should refer to subject 'the company's executive'. impressed is the correct verb

(C) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, that included executives at rival companies, whose approaches were different substantially in comparison to...placement of also is incorrect. comma followed by that is incorrect.

(D) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, who included executives at rival companies, the approaches of whom differed substantially when compared to... acknowledge is being used in this option as a verb. acknowledge what? also was acknowledged is correct.

(E) were an impression to the managers who worked with her, also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches were often substantially different from that of..were is referring to singular subject incorrectly.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts