Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2544 [70]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [10]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31896 [5]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618855 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure on this [#permalink]
Expert Reply
GetThisDone wrote:
Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure on this year’s ballot, would prohibit the ownership of handguns within the city’s limits. Under the plan, gun owners would have a 90-day grace period to turn in their weapons to authorities. Proponents of the proposition argue that fewer handguns on the streets would lead to less violent crime, making the city safer for all of its citizens. Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the opposite effect. Since only law abiding citizens would honor the ban, armed criminals would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself.

In the letter to the editor, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is an observation that the author uses to support a particular position; the second is that position.

(B) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the author believes to be true; the second offers evidence to contradict this pattern.

(C) The first is a position that the author argues will not hold in this case; the second is the author’s position.

(D) The first is a prediction that the author believes to be untrue. The second is a statement of fact that undermines the author’s position.

(E) The first is a direct relationship that the author believes will not hold in this case; the second offers evidence in support of the author’s position.

This question is part of the GMAT Club Critical Reasoning: Boldface Revision Project.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The author of the letter believes that the city’s proposed handgun ban will actually make the city a more dangerous place. In support of this prediction, the author offers the second boldfaced portion of the argument: an assertion that criminals will feel increased confidence to act since their victims will no longer be armed. This assertion contradicts the first boldfaced portion of the argument, a relationship between fewer guns and less violent crime cited by proponents of the ban.

(A) The first boldface portion argues that the handgun ban would lead to less violent crime, a position that directly contradicts the author’s stated position. The second boldface portion offers support for the author’s position, but is not the position itself.

(B) The first boldface portion is a pattern of cause and effect that the author believes not to be true in this case. By demonstrating that violent crime will increase, the second boldface portion does offer evidence to contradict the first boldface pattern.

(C) The first boldface portion does present a position that the author argues will not hold in this case. The second boldface portion, however, is not the author’s position; instead, it offers evidence in support of the author’s position.

(D) The first boldface portion is a prediction that the author believes to be untrue. The second boldface portion, however, does not undermine the author’s position that the handgun ban will increase violent crime. Instead, it supports the author’s position.

(E) CORRECT. The first boldface portion shows a direct relationship between the number of handguns and violent crime; proponents cite this relationship to support the handgun ban, but the author refutes this relationship. The second boldface portion provides evidence to support the author’s position that the handgun ban will actually make the citizens of the city less safe.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [3]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GRE 1: Q161 V163

GRE 2: Q159 V166
GPA: 3.6
WE:Editorial and Writing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure on this [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:
This question is part of the GMAT Club Critical Reasoning: Boldface Revision Project.

Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure on this year’s ballot, would prohibit the ownership of handguns within the city’s limits. Under the plan, gun owners would have a 90-day grace period to turn in their weapons to authorities. Proponents of the proposition argue that fewer handguns on the streets would lead to less violent crime, making the city safer for all of its citizens. Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the opposite effect. Since only law abiding citizens would honor the ban, armed criminals would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself. In the letter to the editor, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is an observation that the author uses to support a particular position; the second is that position.

B. The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the author believes to be true; the second offers evidence to contradict this pattern.

C. The first is a position that the author argues will not hold in this case; the second is the author’s position.

D. The first is a prediction that the author believes to be untrue. The second is a statement of fact that undermines the author’s position.

E. The first is a direct relationship that the author believes will not hold in this case; the second offers evidence in support of the author’s position.

Nice question. Its down to C and E and C is the tempting answer, which is so often the wrong choice. The second is not the author's position. The author's position is that the ban will have the opposite effect. Answer E correctly states that the first is a relationship that the author thinks won't hold and the second is the premise on which the author bases his position, which is that the ban won't work (because of the fact that criminals.... and the fact that people...).
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [3]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Down to C and E.

In C, the 2nd BF is said to be the "author's position". This is not true. The 2nd BF is evidence in support of the "author's position". "Author's position" is " Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the opposite effect."- the line before the 2nd BF. Notice the keyword "Since" in the non-boldened part of the sentence carrying the 2nd BF? This again tells us that the author is talking about facts and hence this sentence will tell us about evidence and not the author's stand.

E is perfect as it removes the follies of C.

BF1: "direct relationship"-Check
"author believes"-Check
"in this case"-Check

BF2: "evidence"-Check
"in support of the author's position"-Check
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2724 [3]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos