Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm not sure what your abbreviation C/G means, but are you a CEO already?

My reaction to your experience thus far is that your application results have been in line with expectations. A 2.7 GPA is below the middle 80% (in other words bottom 10%) of virtually all of the schools that you applied to, and a 690 GMAT is below average for most of the schools that you applied to. Just going by stats alone, it would have been a shock if you had been admitted to UCLA, Duke, Tuck, MIT, Cornell, Ross, Hass, Columbia or Darden. The simple answer is that your stats are just not in range.

I'm also a bit surprised that you were not accepted at Ohio St., but even there your GMAT is slightly above average, but your GPA is in the bottom 10% for admitted students.

I don't know what the rest of your profile looks like, but you'd need brilliant essays to even think about getting admitted to these schools. Based solely on the few sentences that you put together in the original post, I'd say that probably didn't happen. To have a legitimate shot at any of the elite or ultra-elite schools, you're going to need to do some of the following things (possibly all of them): 1. take additional classes, preferable in English, and get As to help offset your undergraduate record; 2. score 30-50 points better on the GMAT; and 3) write elite level essays. Getting a lot of promotions and leadership experience at work won't hurt either. You might also consider trying to get a leadership position with a charity or something.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If I read your post correctly, you have been accepted to two transelites in the last three seasons. UNC is a fine school and a legitimate alternative to UVA. In light of your GPA, it sounds like you have actually done quite well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I mean C/G is Career Goal and the decision for UNC application will be released Dec. 11 :? I appreciate all your helpful advise. With your word in mind, I put all my efforts to improve the quality of application. :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Im going with 30% profile issue, and 70% essays issue.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My first thought is why you did not try the schools you got dinged again in 2005 and 2006. Re applying to the same school will give you a better chance if you show to them how you improved.

One thing I noticed is each year you applied to different set of schools. I am not sure if thats going to help. I beleive if you had applied to Duke again you would have had a good chance..

Schools look it up highly if you apply to them 2 or three times.. shows you are persistant.. thats my take

I think I agree with the assesment that - dont take gmat again, concentrate on essays. Again, I have not admitted into any school yet, so maybe i am wrong!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Just going by stats alone, it would have been a shock if you had been admitted to UCLA, Duke, Tuck, MIT, Cornell, Ross, Hass, Columbia or Darden. The simple answer is that your stats are just not in range.

why would it be a such a big shock? getting into UCLA, duke and cornell with 2.75 and 690 is not a big shock (assuming there is a strong story and essays)...sorry to say but pelihu, you always put too much emphasis on gmat score.....if the guy in disucssion has solid eassays, he has a very good chance at these schools (he should take some classes to mitigate his low undergrad gmat and he is from korea) but i really do not think that getting 730 or 740 in gmat would help him much..after all wharton dinged over 850 canidates last year with a gmat score above 750.....with indian and chinese students using unfair means more and more to score high in gmat (now dont be upset guys...there are a lot of websites where these indian and chinese students come and disclose real questions..i personally know at least 4 such indian students who used these websites and scored really high in gmat...one of them told me that he saw at least 24 questions in Q section in his exam), gmat carries very little importance in the selection process....
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
haddy74 wrote:
pelihu wrote:
Just going by stats alone, it would have been a shock if you had been admitted to UCLA, Duke, Tuck, MIT, Cornell, Ross, Hass, Columbia or Darden. The simple answer is that your stats are just not in range.

why would it be a such a big shock? getting into UCLA, duke and cornell with 2.75 and 690 is not a big shock (assuming there is a strong story and essays)...sorry to say but pelihu, you always put too much emphasis on gmat score.....if the guy in disucssion has solid eassays, he has a very good chance at these schools (he should take some classes to mitigate his low undergrad gmat and he is from korea) but i really do not think that getting 730 or 740 in gmat would help him much..after all wharton dinged over 850 canidates last year with a gmat score above 750.....with indian and chinese students using unfair means more and more to score high in gmat (now dont be upset guys...there are a lot of websites where these indian and chinese students come and disclose real questions..i personally know at least 4 such indian students who used these websites and scored really high in gmat...one of them told me that he saw at least 24 questions in Q section in his exam), gmat carries very little importance in the selection process....

haddy, i agree with you.. at times gmat is overrated in this club.. granted this club is for gmat period. But... I sincerely belive the candidate we are helping here has nothing to do with gmat.. I agree with rhyme's assesment that its 70% communication of your profile..
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Another ding from Darden(1st round) [#permalink]
socman wrote:
Today I am dinged from Darden. Although I expected the results before(No invitation I received), Ding Letter always make me blue...Actually I started MBA application two years before. In 2004, 7 applying and received 6 dings and 1 accept. In 2005, 2 applying and 2 dings. In 2006, now I apply 3 and receive 2 dings. I thought I'm quite well person before, but now...Could you please evaluate my profile and give me some tips?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
W/E : 6 years in Manufacturing(Medium-Sized)
Academic : 2.74/4.0, Top university in Korea, Mechanical Engineering
GMAT : T : 690, V : 33, M : 50, AWA : 3.0
TOEFL : T : 263, L/C : 24, S/W : 25, R/C : 30, Writing : 4.0
C/G : CEO in manufacturing industry
Applied
- Year 2004
UCLA, Ohio, Emory(Only accepted), Duke, Tuck, MIT, Cornell
- Year 2005
Ross, Haas
- Year 2006
CBS(Ding), Darden(Ding), UNC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

socman,

I think its the way you market yourself.. Again I dont know much yet, but from what I gather.. I would market and communicate my profile better and please reapply to the dinged schools.. ask them what happened? why did I get dinged.. call them up.. I knmow its tough from there.. but dont give up man...... be persistant.. the schools love it!
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
haddy74 wrote:
pelihu wrote:

So you're saying, for UCLA, that you don't believe a GPA in the bottom 10% (likely bottom 5%) along with a below average GMAT is a problem? By definition, it would be a rarity for someone with a 2.7 GPA to be admitted. Their middle 80% for GPA is like 3.0-3.8 or something.

Just looking at the numbers, (admit% and yield), 50 people or less are admitted to UCLA with GPAs below 2.9. The majority of these people, 30-40 of them, will be underrepresented minorities. That means that maybe 10-20 others will be admitted with GPAs below 2.9. Of these 10-20 people, I would venture to guess that virtually all have ultra-high GMATs to offset their low GPAs. No more than a handful of people will have GPAs below 2.9 and GMATs below 700. That is in fact a rarity.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
If I read your post correctly, you have been accepted to two transelites in the last three seasons. UNC is a fine school and a legitimate alternative to UVA. In light of your GPA, it sounds like you have actually done quite well.

Hjort: I completely agree, that given the GPA, getting into UNC would be considered a huge success; but actually I believe he hasn't been admitted to UNC yet.

Rhyme: I disagree with you that it is 70% execution in this case. If his stats were low, but within the middle 80%, then I think proper execution can help to overcome any concerns. But given the GPA in the bottom 10%, without a GMAT alleviate academic concerns, I view this as an automatic ding at most elite & ultra-elites, with minimal opportunities at the others.

For those of you that can't seem to read, I never said the GMAT is the problem. The GPA is the primary concern. A high GMAT (or additional classes) could help offset a GPA in the bottom 10%; but a below average GMAT will not address the academic concerns raised by the GPA.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
a 690 GMAT is below average for most of the schools that you applied to. Just going by stats alone, it would have been a shock if you had been admitted to UCLA, Duke, Tuck, MIT, Cornell, Ross, Hass, Columbia or Darden. The simple answer is that your stats are just not in range.

IN 2004, 690 was not below average for most schools he is speaking of
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Hjort wrote:

Hjort: I completely agree, that given the GPA, getting into UNC would be considered a huge success; but actually I believe he hasn't been admitted to UNC yet.

Rhyme: I disagree with you that it is 70% execution in this case. If his stats were low, but within the middle 80%, then I think proper execution can help to overcome any concerns. But given the GPA in the bottom 10%, without a GMAT alleviate academic concerns, I view this as an automatic ding at most elite & ultra-elites, with minimal opportunities at the others.

For those of you that can't seem to read, I never said the GMAT is the problem. The GPA is the primary concern. A high GMAT (or additional classes) could help offset a GPA in the bottom 10%; but a below average GMAT will not address the academic concerns raised by the GPA.

Pehilu, you said gmat was below average for most schools. I dont believe it was
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
willget800 wrote:

Pehilu, you said gmat was below average for most schools. I dont believe it was

The GMAT has been moving up, but it hasn't been moving that fast. Here are the scores reported by BW in their 2004 issue (meaning results are from 2003):

School: mean/median
UCLA: 705/710
Duke: 707/710
Tuck: 704/N/A
MIT: 697/700
Cornell: 673/680 (still pretty much the case)

From the current issue (stats from 2005)
Ross: 701/710
Haas: 707/710
Columbia: 706/NA
Darden: 677/680 (this is well-known as well)

So yes, for the elite and ultra-elites but Cornell and Darden, 690 was in fact below average at the time of application.

However, I do agree with your premise that the average GMAT is going up at these schools. The medians at all of BWs top 11 hit 710 (or more) this year and I think it's entirely possible that when stats come out next year (for this year's apps), the medians at several schools will be at 720.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
you know what happens when more and more students get really high gmats.. gmat looses its respect in the scheme of things of applications.. if the high scores are no more an exclusive thing.. gmat might well become a moot point in mba applications 10 years from now..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
socman ,
Regarding your GMAT score - we all know that Q is more important than V and since you got Q50 in 2004 (I assume) than I would say that your GMAT score was deffinitelly not an issue and you would be crazy to retake it unless you feel your Verbal has improved considerably.
GPA is low for US standards but maybe not for Korea's and especially in mechanical engineering! Consider using optional essays to explain.

So I think it comes to your essays and recomendations. Who are the people that wrote your recommedations? Are you sure they did a decent job? maybe that is an issue. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was at UCLA Thursday and recieved a packet that listed the total range of GMAT and GPA (not the 80% range)

GMAT: 780-540
GPA: 4.0-2.9

I was actually shocked, supposedly no one got in with less than a 2.9...but someone got in with a 540.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
willget800 wrote:
you know what happens when more and more students get really high gmats.. gmat looses its respect in the scheme of things of applications.. if the high scores are no more an exclusive thing.. gmat might well become a moot point in mba applications 10 years from now..

Actually, a rising average GMAT is clearly an indication that GMAT is becoming an ever more important factor in admissions. At the very least it suggests that schools are less and less likely to admit those with lower GMAT scores.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2