Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [34]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618733 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 212
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V27
Send PM
Re: Pedigreed dogs, including those officially classified as working dog [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
BPHASDEU wrote:
Pedigreed dogs, including those officially classified as working dogs, must conform to standards set by organizations that issue pedigrees. Those standards generally specify the physical appearance necessary for a dog to be recognized as belonging to a breed but stipulate nothing about other genetic traits, such as those that enable breeds originally developed as working dogs to perform the work for which they were developed. Since dog breeders try to maintain only those traits specified by pedigree organizations, and traits that breeders do not try to maintain risk being lost, certain traits like herding ability risk being lost among pedigreed dogs. Therefore, pedigree organizations should set standards requiring working ability in pedigreed dogs classified as working dogs.

The boldface portion plays which one of the following roles in the argument?

A. It is a claim on which the argument depends but for which no support is given.
B. It is a subsidiary conclusion used in support of the main conclusion.
C. It acknowledges a possible objection to the proposal put forth in the argument.
D. It summarizes the position that the argument as a whole is directed toward discrediting.
E. It provides evidence necessary to support a claim stated earlier in the argument.

Dear BPHASDEU

I'm happy to help. :-)

I don't know the source. They have a grammar mistake in the prompt, right in the BF section:
. . . certain traits like herding ability . . .
Of course, by GMAT SC standards, this should be:
. . . certain traits such as herding ability . . .
Every once in a while, an official question makes this sort of mistake, but it is unusual that it's right in the BF section, the most highlighted part of the prompt.

This BF section is a speculation, a prediction for what may take place in the future. It is NOT evidence. It is not the main conclusion, but it supports the main conclusion.

A. It is a claim on which the argument depends but for which no support is given.
The BF section is an argument, a claim, and the conclusion does seem to depend on it to some extent, but it's extreme to say "no support" is given to it. In fact the first half of the sentence, before the BF, gives plenty of support to the BF section. This is incorrect.

B. It is a subsidiary conclusion used in support of the main conclusion.
Yes, the BF is a secondary conclusion, a subsidiary conclusion, and it does support the main conclusion. This looks promising.

C. It acknowledges a possible objection to the proposal put forth in the argument.
No, the BF supports the main conclusion. There are no objections in this argument. This is 100% wrong.

D. It summarizes the position that the argument as a whole is directed toward discrediting.
No, it is totally in line with the argument's main conclusion. It is not opposed to the argument in any way. This is 100% wrong.

E. It provides evidence necessary to support a claim stated earlier in the argument.
It is NOT evidence. It is a claim, an argument. This is incorrect.

The only possible answer is (B).

Here are a few more practice questions.
GMAT Critical Reasoning: Boldface Structure Questions

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hello Mike,

Isn't BF part an example/evidence of previous sentence '' and traits that breeders do not try to maintain risk being lost'', which is supporting the argument???.
Also, we can call ''ánd traits that breeders do not try to maintain risk being lost'' as subsidiary conclusion, rather than the example used which is ''certain traits like.....''.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Pedigreed dogs, including those officially classified as working dog [#permalink]