Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32897 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl [#permalink]
Dear GMATNinja, Experts

Could you please explain me question 5/Option B. Why option B is wrong. Passage 1 describes the steps to determine mass of an object in free fall. Passage 2 describes the steps to determine mass of stars in double star system. So, both passages talks about a scientific measurement by which unknown mass can be find out. I was able to eliminate all options except B and E. I chose B over E because I thought I know that passage1& 2 were trying to find out unknown Mass. Unknown Quantity in option E threw me off.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl [#permalink]
Kudos
AliciaSierra wrote:
Dear GMATNinja, Experts

Could you please explain me question 5/Option B. Why option B is wrong. Passage 1 describes the steps to determine mass of an object in free fall. Passage 2 describes the steps to determine mass of stars in double star system. So, both passages talks about a scientific measurement by which unknown mass can be find out. I was able to eliminate all options except B and E. I chose B over E because I thought I know that passage1& 2 were trying to find out unknown Mass. Unknown Quantity in option E threw me off.

Hi AliciaSierra,

Please refer this answer:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/suppose-we-were-in-a-spaceship-in-free-fall-where-objects-are-weightl-204210.html#p2544504

Let me know if you still have doubts.
Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Sachin19 wrote:
VeritasKarishma Can you please explain Question 5? Choice E mentions 'Scientists'. The passage does not mention Scientists anywhere.
I was stuck between Option B and E.

5. The primary purpose of the passage is to

A. analyze a natural phenomenon in terms of its behavior under special conditions
B. describe the steps by which a scientific measurement is carried out
C. point out the conditions under which a scientific procedure is most useful
D. contrast two different uses of a methodological approach in science
E. explain a method by which scientists determine an unknown quantity

'Scientists' is a generic term used for people studying any kind of science so it is acceptable.

The real difference lies in "describe the steps" and "explain a method".
Describe the steps would be "first, tie the object to a spring... then swing it really fast ..." etc. That is not what the passage does.
It tells you the method used to measure the masses. It explains you the concept and then how it is applicable to a star system. Hence (E) is better than (B).

VeritasKarishma,

I screened E as one of the final correct option but rejected it based on logic, option explains 'A method' however, the overall passage is about two different method, selecting ultimately option A although i was skeptical on word 'special conditions'. So, how can option E be correct?

Thanks!!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Raxit85 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Sachin19 wrote:
VeritasKarishma Can you please explain Question 5? Choice E mentions 'Scientists'. The passage does not mention Scientists anywhere.

A. analyze a natural phenomenon in terms of its behavior under special conditions

'Scientists' is a generic term used for people studying any kind of science so it is acceptable.

Describe the steps would be "first, tie the object to a spring... then swing it really fast ..." etc. That is not what the passage does.
It tells you the method used to measure the masses. It explains you the concept and then how it is applicable to a star system. Hence (E) is better than (B).

VeritasKarishma,

I screened E as one of the final correct option but rejected it based on logic, option explains 'A method' however, the overall passage is about two different method, selecting ultimately option A although i was skeptical on word 'special conditions'. So, how can option E be correct?

Thanks!!

The point of the passage is to explain how scientists measure the mass of stars. The method is first explained using a spring balance assuming we would be familiar with the way it works and the principle would make sense to us. It then explains how the same principle is used to measure mass of stars. There is only one principle/method discussed with two applications of it - one with a known object to help us understand the underlying principle and the other in the way it is applied to dual star systems. So (E) is correct.

(A) is incorrect because we are not analysing a natural phenomenon under special conditions. That would be something like analysing what an asteroid does when it enters the space field of this dual star system and how the stars' orbits behave in those conditions etc.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma
Can you please explain why choice D is incorrect for question 5? Thank you :)

I am confused on choice E being correct because I understood the passage as explaining two methods, and I believe this is indicated when the author uses the wording an "analogous procedure" in passage two. The author also contrasts them when saying "analogous to the tension in the string" in the second paragraph.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
VeritasKarishma
Can you please explain why choice D is incorrect for question 5? Thank you :)

I am confused on choice E being correct because I understood the passage as explaining two methods, and I believe this is indicated when the author uses the wording an "analogous procedure" in passage two. The author also contrasts them when saying "analogous to the tension in the string" in the second paragraph.

"Contrast" means to show differences.
The passage shows how the principle of the spring balance is used to measure the mass of stars. It does not contrast two different uses.
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
Q3 :- Which of the following best describes the relationship between the first and the second paragraph of the passage?
A The first paragraph provides an illustration useful for understanding a procedure described in the second paragraph.
B The first paragraph describes a hypothetical situation whose plausibility is tested in the second paragraph.
C The first paragraph evaluates the usefulness of a procedure whose application is described further in the second paragraph.
D The second paragraph provides evidence to support a claim made in the first paragraph.
E The second paragraph analyzes the practical implications of a methodology proposed in the first paragraph.

The methodology proposed in the first paragraph involves a hypothetical technique for measuring a small solid object’s mass in space (by placing the object on a spring scale and swinging the scale in a circle at the end of a string).

The second paragraph does not discuss practical ways for using THAT hypothetical technique. In other words, the second paragraph does not analyze practical applications of the spring scale/small-solid-object method. Instead, the second paragraph describes a different technique that is analogous to the spring scale/small-solid-object method.

In other words, the second paragraph does not discuss (or analyze) the practical applications of the spring scale/small solid method. Instead, the second paragraph describes an analogous procedure. Furthermore, this analogous procedure is described but is not really analyzed.

Choice (A) is more accurate.

I hope that helps!

Quote:
Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightless, and wanted to know a small solid object’s mass. We could not simply balance that object against another of known weight, as we would on Earth. The unknown mass could be determined, however, by placing the object on a spring scale and swinging the scale in a circle at the end of a string. The scale would measure the tension in the string, which would depend on both the speed of revolution and the mass of the object. The tension would be greater, the greater the mass or the greater the speed of revolution. From the measured tension and speed of whirling, we could determine the object’s mass.

Astronomers use an analogous procedure to “weigh” double-star systems. The speed with which the two stars in a double-star system circle one another depends on the gravitational force between them, which holds the system together. This attractive force, analogous to the tension in the string, is proportional to the stars’ combined mass, according to Newton’s law of gravitation. By observing the time required for the stars to circle each other (the period) and measuring the distance between them, we can deduce the restraining force, and hence the masses.

3. Which of the following best describes the relationship between the first and the second paragraph of the passage?

A The first paragraph provides an illustration useful for understanding a procedure described in the second paragraph.
B The first paragraph describes a hypothetical situation whose plausibility is tested in the second paragraph.
C The first paragraph evaluates the usefulness of a procedure whose application is described further in the second paragraph.
D The second paragraph provides evidence to support a claim made in the first paragraph.
E The second paragraph analyzes the practical implications of a methodology proposed in the first paragraph.

Hi GMATNinja
Thank you very much for the explanation.
In this question, the correct choice is A, but I picked the wrong choice (B).
In the passage, the word suppose means it is going to be hypothetical situation. For that reason, I've chosen B for the word hypothetical situation in the answer choice B.

I've crossed out choice A because of the word illustration. The word illustration is definitely connected with example, But the first para has no example at all, unfortunately. I can't figure out that whether any illustration in the first para?
Thanks__

Originally posted by TheUltimateWinner on 10 Apr 2021, 13:16.
Last edited by TheUltimateWinner on 11 Apr 2021, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
Quote:
Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightless, and wanted to know a small solid object’s mass. We could not simply balance that object against another of known weight, as we would on Earth. The unknown mass could be determined, however, by placing the object on a spring scale and swinging the scale in a circle at the end of a string. The scale would measure the tension in the string, which would depend on both the speed of revolution and the mass of the object. The tension would be greater, the greater the mass or the greater the speed of revolution. From the measured tension and speed of whirling, we could determine the object’s mass.

Astronomers use an analogous procedure to “weigh” double-star systems. The speed with which the two stars in a double-star system circle one another depends on the gravitational force between them, which holds the system together. This attractive force, analogous to the tension in the string, is proportional to the stars’ combined mass, according to Newton’s law of gravitation. By observing the time required for the stars to circle each other (the period) and measuring the distance between them, we can deduce the restraining force, and hence the masses.

3. Which of the following best describes the relationship between the first and the second paragraph of the passage?

Hi BrightOutlookJenn
Hope you're well. It is long time you're out of gmatclub-we missed you!
I've a query for this one. Could you help me, please? I'm seriously appreciating your help.

In the passage, the word suppose means it is going to be hypothetical situation. For that reason, I've chosen B for the word hypothetical situation in the answer choice B.

I've crossed out choice A because of the word illustration. The word illustration is definitely connected with example, But the first para has no example at all, unfortunately. I can't figure out that whether any illustration in the first para?
Thanks__
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi TheUltimateWinner

Hey, thanks for the tag! Happy to be back.

You asked about the word illustration, and indeed, we do have an illustration (specific description/example) given in the first paragraph. Here it is:

Quote:
The unknown mass could be determined, however, by placing the object on a spring scale and swinging the scale in a circle at the end of a string. The scale would measure the tension in the string, which would depend on both the speed of revolution and the mass of the object. The tension would be greater, the greater the mass or the greater the speed of revolution. From the measured tension and speed of whirling, we could determine the object’s mass.

This whole description about how we could use a spring scale and swing it in a circle, and so on ... this is an illustration.

Regarding answer choice B, it is incorrect because of the words "whose plausibility is tested." This would mean that the second paragraph attacks the believability or probability of the example, which is not at all what is going on in the second paragraph. If the author were testing the plausibility of the hypothetical in the first paragraph (the spaceship in free fall), we would need to see see something like, "But most people will never experience a spaceship in free fall, leading some researchers to question the wisdom of using such an unrealistic example."

The test writers caught you with the trap of "hypothetical" -> you matched it with "suppose", as you described, but you were not as critical about the rest of the words in the answer choice. Watch out! Test writers LOVE to begin answer choices with something correct and then screw it up later in the phrase. Always be sure to read all the way to the end of your preferred answer choice and make sure you can agree with every word.

Does that help? Let us know!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 3, redux

TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Thank you very much for the explanation.

Thanks__

The words "hypothetical" and "illustration" are not mutually exclusive. The whole point of the first paragraph is to use everyday objects (springs, strings, etc) to explain a tricky concept. In other words, the author illustrates this concept using a simple example. Sure, the illustration is hypothetical -- but it's still an illustration.

Then, in the second paragraph, the author describes an "analogous procedure" that is used to measure the mass of stars. It's easier to understand this abstract procedure because of the nice illustration provided in the first paragraph.

(A) is looking good.

Here's (B):
Quote:

The first paragraph does describe a hypothetical situation. But its plausibility isn't tested in the second paragraph -- the author never "tests" whether the example from the first paragraph is likely to be true. Instead, he/she just uses the example to explain the procedure described in the second paragraph.

(B) is out, and (A) is the correct answer to question 3.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Sachin19 wrote:

Responding to a pm:
Quote:
In the above question my understanding for option E was that it is not stated what is the unknown quantity. So I rejected that choice since the word mass was not mentioned. The unknown quantity can be anything right?
So should we assume that since the passage talks about the mass so the unknown quantity it is referring is mass only?

What does the passage do?

Answer: It explains a method by which scientists determine an unknown quantity.

method - tension in the string
unknown quantity - mass of a star

Answer: It explains the method "tension in the string" by which scientists determine the masses of stars.

You can write your answer as with as much specific detail as you wish but both are correct.

For example:
Question: What was he talking about?
Answer: He was telling a story.
or
Answer: He was telling the story of Alibaba.

Both are correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
KarishmaB GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo Sajjad1994 bm2201
I have doubt in option B and E.

However, as per my reasoning I am finding option B better than E because option E states 'explain a method' while we discussed 2 methods(one in passage 1 and other in passage 2) in the passage and additionally option mentions scientists whereas in the passage astronomers measure. If we look the 2 para steps are mentioned to determine mass with various steps being observe time, measure distance, deduce gravitational force, and finally determine mass. Please explain why is option B wrong.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [3]
Send PM
Kudos