Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: GRE vs GMAT: accurate mini/micro tests to determine "fit" [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi RealEstateMBA,

I actually would recommend taking full-length practice exams for the GMAT and GRE. Why are you against doing so? Also, since you are still deciding between which exam to take, here is a helpful article:

GMAT or GRE, which one should you take?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you both for the great responses and the very thorough article on exams.

I would rather take an abridged version of both exams since I'm still deciding which exam to pursue.

In the last 13 years, I have taken 4 certification exams, each about 3.5-4 hours in length, and passed 2 of them.
Project Management Professional (PMP) Exam. December 2017. Passed
Project Management Professional (PMP) Exam. May 2017. Failed
Leadership in Energy Efficient Design Accredited Professional (LEED-AP). June 2009. Failed by one point and it was the last day that I could take the exam under the old format.
Amercian Institute of Certified Planners (AICP). December 2008. Passed on the first try.

Each exam is different, and I can't stack the GMAT/GRE against a certification exam BUT I would like to cut corners and reduce time where possible. Why sit through (2) 4-hour exams to make a decision if I can take a shorter exam and get to the same conclusion?

Just my two cents.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
There is a GMAT mini-quiz that is available, but the reason some may suggest doing a full exam is that the GMAT is structured differently than the GRE. You cannot leave questions and come back later, for example.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi RealEstateMBA,

Based on your most recent post, I have to ask what is MORE important: scoring at a high level on one of those Exams OR cutting corners to save time (and ending up with whatever Score you get)? If you're interested in applying to Programs that don't "require" that you earn a high Score on the GMAT or GRE, then that's one thing. However, if you're planning to apply to any highly-competitive Programs (and/or you are interested in a Scholarship), then you will almost certainly need to earn a high Score on the GMAT or the GRE (and starting off your studies by purposely avoiding work that should help make the OVERALL task of training for the GMAT or GRE easier is a dubious choice).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GRE vs GMAT: accurate mini/micro tests to determine "fit" [#permalink]
I am taking a PRE-test to determine WHICH study route I should go. This is a decision analysis. It's to determine my fitness for an exam. I don't need an accurate, final score but a rough order of estimate. I am going to set aside 3-4 months of formal study, along with a healthy dose of full practice exams before I sit for the actual exam. I think there has been a big miscommunication here in my post.

I plan on going to an in-state public school in Texas for a part-time MBA while continuing to work in a full-time capacity in urban planning or real estate. My top pics are UT Dallas and the University of North Texas. Both of them have in-person and online versions of the programs. I am also looking into Florida State University's online MBA in real estate. The other two schools for online MBA are University of Nebraska at Lincoln and Oklahoma State University, which offer online MBA's with a concentration in business analytics. If I go the analytics route I would couple that with a separate real state license in Texas for the formal real estate license training.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi RealEstateMBA,

Thank you for providing that extra information (as it helps to better clarify your overall timeline and plans). Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so you've given yourself a good chunk of potential study time. Once you've determined which Exam you would like to focus on, we can discuss how you might best proceed with your studies. In addition, I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:

1) What is your overall goal score?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
3) What specific application deadlines are you considering?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GRE vs GMAT: accurate mini/micro tests to determine "fit" [#permalink]
Thank you for the response but I'm an experienced test taker so I can put together a study schedule. I treat test prep like managing a work project, and I'm a PMP so I'm confident in directing this endeavor on my own.

From time to time I will have more specific questions and I will utilize the other subforums on here when needed (and other websites beyond GMAT Club).

Unless anyone has anything important to add on micro tests,
I think it's appropriate to close this post. I will be taking a full GMAT practice exam and a full GRE practice exam this weekend,each on separate days. I'll do an after action review and decide which route to pursue.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V157
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hey RealEstateMBA

You should try our brand new GRE v/s GMAT diagnostic test. We have created this test to help you figure out the difference between the GRE and GMAT and to help you make this decision with more decisive data.

The diagnostic test contains questions from both exams. So, based on the questions you pick correct and the resulting score, you will have a reliable estimation IF the GMAT or the GRE is the most suitable test for you.

Here is the link to the original post. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-vs-gre- ... l#p3029333

Regards
GMAT Club Bot