Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Duke vs NYU: Which is more prestigious OVERALL (not just for MBA)?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72872 [1]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Duke vs NYU: Which is more prestigious OVERALL (not just for MBA)? [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Bottom line, the business school end they undergraduate college are separate entities. It helps to have a well recognized name when you’re doing your laundry at the laundromat but probably not so much when you’re trying to recruit in the business world among people who are well aware of the pecking order in the business school rankings and selectivity of certain programs.

My 2 cents. Would love to hear a different opinion :-)

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks for that thoughtful reply!

I agree! I was thinking of choosing based on the overall university brand since I believe Duke Fuqua and NYU Stern are peer schools in most aspects such as rankings and selectivity. While NYU Stern always has a higher GMAT average, it usually has a similar acceptance rate and slightly lower yield rate compared to Duke Fuqua in recent years. I know NYU Stern's acceptance rate was much lower around 2012 while Duke Fuqua's was around the same as of now. I believe Duke Fuqua has a really slight edge when it comes to peer and recruiter assessments taken as part of the US News MBA rankings.

bb I'd love to hear more details regarding the general reputation of those MBA programs (Duke Fuqua vs NYU Stern) and the wider universities (Duke vs NYU). Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Duke vs NYU: Which is more prestigious OVERALL (not just for MBA)? [#permalink]
I personally think that overall university brand can make a slight different when picking between peer schools.

For example, Yale SOM, founded in 1976 (i.e. the youngest business school among top 15 now), really managed to boost their rankings over the last few years from top 25 to top 10. I believe it's mainly due to the help of the wider university in terms of funding and overall reputation. I know that might be bit of an extreme case.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Duke vs NYU: Which is more prestigious OVERALL (not just for MBA)? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Duke is a more prestigious school. The one exception may be that NYU Stern may be more desirable amongst the finance types.

Otherwise, just look at the rankings. Duke is consistently considered a top tier school on par with the Ivy League and comparable institutions (Stanford, UChicago, MIT etc.) while NYU is a step or two below. All the slices and dices you have laid out are no doubt interesting for comparable purposes, but your question is about prestige overall which is kind the opposite of looking at each school category by category. Prestige is derived from an overall opinion, reputation, viewpoint, etc.

I am also not sure what you mean by future/potential. Not all that much is changing about either school, certainly not enough to drastically shift their prestige factor. It would take a "revolutionary" type of event or scandal of epic proportions to have that type of effect. These reputations and positions are generally set in stone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Duke vs NYU: Which is more prestigious OVERALL (not just for MBA)? [#permalink]
Kudos
Yale's b-school ranking went up over the past 10 yrs because they started running the school correctly, nothing to do w/ the parent university.

Both Duke / NYU are great schools, but I would give the pedigree edge to Duke. NYU still suffers from the 'couldn't get into Columbia' overhang.

Best of luck.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GRE 1: Q168 V157
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
When it's specific to Stern I'd say it's a lot closer. This year, Stern had a lower admit rate than Duke (5.6 vs 5.8%) and a higher median SAT (1550 at Stern, but most didn't apply this year with a score for Duke). Perhaps it's a valid comparison as Duke doesn't have an undergraduate business program.

Peer programs at the MBA level.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts