Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [16]
Given Kudos: 134
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 4
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Re: Not a 600 to 750 story - An Unsuccessful GMAT journey [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Very well written! Engaged me till the end. You're a good writer.

- CJ
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Not a 600 to 750 story - An Unsuccessful GMAT journey [#permalink]
Kudos
If you do decide to give the GMAT again - and you think you've gained a strong grasp of the fundamentals for Verbal - it may help to look at your "solving approach", if you have some habits that may harm your performance. All the best with whatever you decide.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi krazzysaad,

Honestly, 660 is a pretty solid GMAT score, so you should give yourself some credit. Thank you for sharing your story and good luck with things moving forward.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
ChiranjeevSingh wrote:
Very well written! Engaged me till the end. You're a good writer.

- CJ

Thank you CJ.I have read many of your submissions and I know how well you write, so it means alot coming from you.
I am curious to know if you have any advice for me
Current Student
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi krazzysaad,

Honestly, 660 is a pretty solid GMAT score, so you should give yourself some credit. Thank you for sharing your story and good luck with things moving forward.

Thank you so much. For the applicant pool I come from, I feel I may have a hard time to compete, but I think I have an interesting story to tell, because I have been involved in a lot of extra-curricular activities and have studied abroad for 9 years. Lets see where this goes. :)
Current Student
Send PM
gmatknightDOTcom wrote:
If you do decide to give the GMAT again - and you think you've gained a strong grasp of the fundamentals for Verbal - it may help to look at your "solving approach", if you have some habits that may harm your performance. All the best with whatever you decide.

Thank you so much for your advise, I do feel very tired of this exam at this stage. I want to see if I can hone my application alone to get my dream schools.
But its very true, I have to reevaluate my "solving approach", something I havent been able to master on my own or through self-help courses
Current Student
Send PM
Not a 600 to 750 story - An Unsuccessful GMAT journey [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
Wow...99.99 percentile in Verbal in CAT, and lingering in 20s to lower 30s in Verbal in GMAT!

Shows how different Verbal is in GMAT.

I agree. GMAT Verbal is a different beast altogether.
In CAT, I applied a very basic approach of solving questions at their face value and there was never alot of subtext. But in GMAT, all options just seem too close to my eyes.

Regardless, GMAT verbal has given a new lifeline to my own skills, which, while not GMAT compatible, have helped me on other fronts.
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi krazzysaad,

First off, a 660/Q48 is a solid Score, so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As an aside, referring to yourself as "average" for scoring around the 80th percentile makes you sound silly - and you have to be really careful about how you present yourself in your Applications, essays and interviews (lest you inadvertently receive a rejection in a situation in which you could/should receive an invitation). Depending on the Programs that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. The 3 Official Scores that you discussed show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 650 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Since these results go back over the last couple of years, it's likely that you developed some 'bad habits' during your earlier studies that are keeping you from scoring higher. With a 660, you're actually not that far from a 700+, but you would have to make some fundamental changes to how you 'see' (and respond to) the Exam before you would be able to consistently score at that higher level on the Official GMAT.

Consulting with an Admissions Expert would be the logical next step - and if you decide that continuing to study and retesting is the best choice, then we can discuss how you might best proceed with this next phase of your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

I agree with everything you have said. Its a matter of understanding how I approach questions and avoid some consistent mistakes.
I am waiting for my official score to come, post which I will reach out to some Admissions Expert.

Thank you for your insights and advice! :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
krazzysaad wrote:
I immediately ordered an ESR

Very curious to know what the ESR revealed? Which is your weakest area in Verbal?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for sharing your story. It is always motivating to hear the not-so-successful (at least in 700+ terms) stories, as most (yes) of us are in the stages where we are not reaching our target scores. Your testimonial is not just a monologue of your experience, but also a motivating booster for us all, that - "This is not the end."
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts