Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU
 Q44  V50
GPA: 3.06
WE 1: 2yrs Financial Modeling
WE 2: 3yrs Investment Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:NYU (Enrolling!)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:NYU (Enrolling!)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: "Admitted! I Can't Wait till I Can Quit My Job" Syndrome [#permalink]
AlexMBAApply wrote:
nink made some excellent points.

One thing I would add is about the social life in b-school.

As you may or may not know, "networking" is just another formal way of saying "making friends". Some are going to end up being close friends (even to the point where you may even be brothers from different mothers), some just merely friendly acquaintances.

However, what you want to just be aware of is how the social dynamic evolves over the course of 2 years.

I can't speak for every person who went to b-school, but at least in my own experience as well as others (both friends and past clients), is this:

In the first few months of school, it will feel like HIGH SCHOOL. Yes. High school. Not even college. After these few months (the first thanksgiving is usually the turning point), people do mellow out a bit, and there's far less posturing.

Everyone is insecure when they come into a new environment. Some students may know a handful of folks beforehand (i.e. went to the same college, worked in the same firm), but even then, few if any are really friends.

So just about everyone comes in with no real friends in the school.

And for some reason, it makes the group as a whole regress back to high school. We all get insecure, and we all want to be liked, and we all feel a bit nervous about "what if I don't make any friends?" or "I really want to establish my reputation" blah blah blah. Some may even inadvertently project their desire to be "that popular gal/guy" or the "man on campus" -- something they never really were in college or high school. Or trying to live up to some image of what a popular person should be, or trying to relive college days they never had.

Just know that EVERYONE, all your classmates, are feeling the same way you do in the first few months, no matter how much "posturing" some folks may do to overcompensate.

You'll probably even see some folks who try a bit too hard to be "that guy who everyone likes" or the "party central dude" or whatever. Or the guy who talks up a great game (whether they do it in a subtle or overt way) about their sexual conquests, name dropping as a way to show that they know important people, trying too hard to project that they're more outgoing than they really are, or even trying a bit tooooo hard to come across as more relaxed and chill than they really are.

But just know that it's all posturing. And you may even do it from time to time at a dinner party, drinking event, etc. Everyone is a bit insecure, and because it's been a while since you were "new" to a school (i.e. freshman year in college), for many of you, this will be the first time in a long time where you've been in an environment with a bunch of people roughly your age (because at work, you were likely one of a handful of youngins in a sea of old folks). As such, it's easy to even inadvertently assume that there's going to be a social pecking order (just like high school) and it's important to establish your social standing right away.

While there likely will be a lot of posturing (i.e. "look at me! I'm such a party hard dude!" or "I'm going to be that guy who has 500 of his closest friends from b-school over for a house party!") in an effort to outdo others in their extroversion, that will go away. People calm down. Most of us will eventually realize that no one in school really cares about that anyway, even if the initial insecurity of not knowing anyone may make one do some foolish things to get others to like them.

So long as you're normal and well adjusted, you WILL make friends. You WILL have a great time, without having to try sooooo hard to "network". So long as you're helpful to people without being overbearing, and you go to some social events (don't feel you need to go to EVERY one), you will do just fine. You may not make friends in the first few months, but a lot of people will be in the same boat, wondering where they should go on the weekends, who to socialize with, etc. Find a way to overcome that insecurity and just be yourself -- and you will find your place within the school with friends you love hanging out with.

Eventually, the people you really like will be your friends, and the people you don't like you won't have to really deal with them outside of academics.

And finally, don't take yourself too seriously. If you have a sense of humor about yourself, you'll likely get less stressed out in school, and you'll be able to also laugh at some of the absurdities and neurosis of some of your fellow classmates...

So true...had to find and re-read this just to make sure I wasn't going crazy! Thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
I have a quick question for you 'Nink', maybe you can help me since I've not been able to find this issue on the forum

Is there any issue if you quit working after receiving the admission decision? I plan to work until Jan 4th and my decisions will come on the week of Dec 15th. I already know that if I'm dinged by both school I'll be heading to CBS, but I was wondering it there would be an issue when the guys from the BG check call and HR tells them that I no longer work there because I left in Jan 4th. (I'll try to do the BG check as quick as possible after admission but these guys take their time). The reason I'm leaving soon is b/c I want to start a Pre-MBA internship asap.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Cheers
J
Kudos
resurrecting this to find out, if there is anyone else that
CAN NOT WAIT to quit.

I don't love my current position and since i want to switch industries, function and location, not super concerned about them.... i'm looking at all the pre-mba internships and hoping to land a couple... just going to be hard with not a ton of savings!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
angelfire213 wrote:
CAN NOT WAIT to quit.

I don't love my current position and since i want to switch industries, function and location, not super concerned about them.... i'm looking at all the pre-mba internships and hoping to land a couple... just going to be hard with not a ton of savings!

Definitely finding it difficult to concentrate now. Senioritis is hitting me pretty hard, but nink brought up a good point. You never know when you run into people again. I always try to leave on the best terms.

Doing the same with pre-mba internships and looking at my financing options/budgeting. If I don't end up with a pre-MBA internship though, I've got a plan to visit a few friends I haven't seen in a while. So not the end all be all.
Ha, it'll be easier to keep good relationships if i quit early before i become a serious slacker. My field has a lot of turnover, so quitting won't be a bridge burner.... right now, it's trying to figure out WHEN to quit. best case scenario - i get into NYU and they ask me to do summer start.... Then i can quit end of april! Hvae you decided what school yet? and when do you plan on quitting?
dtse86 wrote:
angelfire213 wrote:
CAN NOT WAIT to quit.

Definitely finding it difficult to concentrate now. Senioritis is hitting me pretty hard, but nink brought up a good point. You never know when you run into people again. I always try to leave on the best terms.

Doing the same with pre-mba internships and looking at my financing options/budgeting. If I don't end up with a pre-MBA internship though, I've got a plan to visit a few friends I haven't seen in a while. So not the end all be all.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Well, I've already notified my boss about my end date (end of June) and so 6 months notice should give him enough time to find my replacement. Although I have a lot of large projects that I need to finish before then...

I figured I'd give myself July to either do a short pre-MBA internship or go on a trip to visit various friends across the country before I start.

I just hope I have enough saved up before I start to go on some awesome MBA excursions!

April would be awesome, but I need to earn some more money and save up some more beforehand. I already know I'm gonna burn through all of my savings...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GPA: 3.75
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
I have a quick question for you 'Nink', maybe you can help me since I've not been able to find this issue on the forum

Is there any issue if you quit working after receiving the admission decision? I plan to work until Jan 4th and my decisions will come on the week of Dec 15th. I already know that if I'm dinged by both school I'll be heading to CBS, but I was wondering it there would be an issue when the guys from the BG check call and HR tells them that I no longer work there because I left in Jan 4th. (I'll try to do the BG check as quick as possible after admission but these guys take their time). The reason I'm leaving soon is b/c I want to start a Pre-MBA internship asap.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Cheers
J

So have you quit your job?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72883 [1]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM