Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q163 V155
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
Hi all.

Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

Since it is not difficult to understand the meaning of this sentence, let’s quickly get into the error analysis:

1. Use of past perfect tense is correct because 1609, the telescope had been already made and after that Galileo made his own version of the instrument. So there are two past events and “had been” correctly denotes that telescope was first made and then Galileo came up with his own version.
2. “but” correctly presents the contrast.
3. No errors.

PoE:

a) Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he: Correct for reasons stated above.

b) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made, Incorrect.
1. Use of “had not invented” is incorrect because the sentence here just presents a general fact that should be written in simple past tense.
2. Use of “having been made” is also incorrect in this choice.
3. This choice also misses the subject “he” for the verb “built”.

c) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he: Incorrect.
1. Same verb tense error as in Choice B.
2. Use of pronoun “he” after “even though” is incorrect because Galileo has already been mentioned in the beginning of the sentence. This construction makes Galileo hanging without a verb.
3. Use of “even though” is incorrect. This expression is used to present contrast in that it denotes two opposite situations. For example:
Even though he is poor, he has managed to go to a good B school.
However, this choice does not present opposite situations. It simply says that Galileo did not invent telescope but he later developed one. There is co opposite things going on in here.

d) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,: Incorrect.
1. Use of “even though” is incorrect as in Choice C.
2. Absence of “he” before “built” leaves this verb without any subject.

e) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he: Incorrect.
1. Use of “even though” is incorrect.
2. Use of “but” is redundant because “even though” already presents the contrast.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

egmat - why is "having been made" wrong. Please share the reason. Is it because "Having been made" is used for sequencing?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su [#permalink]
chunjuwu wrote:
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

(A) Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he

(B) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,

(C) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he

(D) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,

(E) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

hey guys i wanna know that in option b and e "but when he heard, in 1609 doesn't mean that he heard something for first time before that he might be deaf. Please let me know am i thinking in the right direction.
thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
Hi all.

Since it is not difficult to understand the meaning of this sentence, let’s quickly get into the error analysis:

1. Use of past perfect tense is correct because 1609, the telescope had been already made and after that Galileo made his own version of the instrument. So there are two past events and “had been” correctly denotes that telescope was first made and then Galileo came up with his own version.
3. No errors.

PoE:

a) Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he: Correct for reasons stated above.

b) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made, Incorrect.
1. Use of “had not invented” is incorrect because the sentence here just presents a general fact that should be written in simple past tense.

c) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he: Incorrect.
2. Use of pronoun “he” after “even though” is incorrect because Galileo has already been mentioned in the beginning of the sentence. This construction makes Galileo hanging without a verb.
3. Use of “even though” is incorrect. This expression is used to present contrast in that it denotes two opposite situations. For example:
However, this choice does not present opposite situations. It simply says that Galileo did not invent telescope but he later developed one. There is co opposite things going on in here.

d) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,: Incorrect.

e) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he: Incorrect.
2. Use of “but” is redundant because “even though” already presents the contrast.

Thanks.
Shraddha

I don’t think “even though” causes any problem. The tense is also not the deal breaker, as we don’t know whether Galileo was indeed the inventor or not.

To be blunt, there might be two intended meanings.
1) if say “G did not invent the thing, but on hearing the invention (had been made), he made one”, then he merely made a copy.
2) “G had not invented the thing, but on hearing the news (that the invention had been made already), he made it”. Then G is actually the inventor of the thing — the news he heard of was not true! He had not invented it, and then he heard of a rumour, and then, poof!, he invented it out of the rumour.

The decision point in the question is about the compound sentence structure. You always need to place a subject for each clause.

Originally posted by tedwang on 02 Jun 2020, 07:07.
Last edited by tedwang on 06 Jan 2021, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi all.

3. No errors.

PoE:

Thanks.
Shraddha

Ignoring "he" and "even though", if this sentence if were to be in (A)'s form, then would the tense structure of (C) would work?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
GMATGuruNY - why is "even though" wrong in C / D and E ?

Even though there are other errors to focus on, I was curious if you could eliminate C/D and E because of the word "even though" ?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
pikolo2510
Two ways to tell:

Structure: Since the first independent clause is followed by "but," we are now in a new part of the sentence. This modifier could only apply to the first clause if we had a contrasting modifier preceding "but": "Galileo invented the telescope not to learn about the stars but to spy on his neighbors."

Meaning: "On hearing that such an instrument had been made" doesn't make sense as a modifier for not doing something. How can it modify the statement that he did not invent the telescope? However, it makes a lot of sense modifying his following action. Once he heard of the telescope, he hurried up and made one. Also, the form "on -ing" is used to describe an event that incites some action, so we expect it to modify what follows. This is also a structural issue. "On reading this, I immediately contacted the author." "On learning the news, I began to cry." I suppose we could invert that structure in some simple cases: "I began to cry on learning the news," but we still have to be describing an action someone takes in response to some inciting experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Though experts have shared a fair basis of elimination, one point is not discussed so far: back-to-back modifiers.

As per reference books, the presence of back-to-back modifiers is incorrect. On the other hand, Here the correct answer contains back-to-back modifying phrases, could you please shed some light?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
aarkay87 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Though experts have shared a fair basis of elimination, one point is not discussed so far: back-to-back modifiers.

As per reference books, the presence of back-to-back modifiers is incorrect. On the other hand, Here the correct answer contains back-to-back modifying phrases, could you please shed some light?

Hi aarkay87,

I don't know which books we're talking about here, but it is incorrect to say that multiple modifiers used close together will always be incorrect. This is something we should check on a case-by-case basis.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
aarkay87 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Hi aarkay87,

I don't know which books we're talking about here, but it is incorrect to say that multiple modifiers used close together will always be incorrect. This is something we should check on a case-by-case basis.

Hi AjiteshArun

Thanks for the quick revert!!

Reference books that I am mentioning are as follows

GMAT SC Grail, P#124: It is always incorrect to use two back-to-back modifying phrases.
This will of course only be the case when both the phrases are essential or non-essential. If one phrase is essential and the other non-essential, then the sentence is correct.

There is also a similar reference in MGMAT SC Guide 6th Ed that I am unable to locate presently.

See if you can help me out now.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
aarkay87 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun

Thanks for the quick revert!!

Reference books that I am mentioning are as follows

GMAT SC Grail, P#124: It is always incorrect to use two back-to-back modifying phrases.
This will of course only be the case when both the phrases are essential or non-essential. If one phrase is essential and the other non-essential, then the sentence is correct.

There is also a similar reference in MGMAT SC Guide 6th Ed that I am unable to locate presently.

See if you can help me out now.

Hi aarkay87,

I can't see where they are coming from on this, or why they would choose to say that something is always wrong, and then immediately qualify that statement with "this will of course only be the case when". At this point, I wouldn't recommend looking at this as an absolute rule.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Desautels (D)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi AjiteshArun, GMATNinja, VeritasKarishma, DmitryFarber MartyTargetTestPrep

Hope you all are doing great!

I have a doubt pertinent to option (B).
Can the subject missing in the second part of the option be counted as an error?

(B) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made, quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

Can we assume that the subject "Galileo" is implied in the second part of the sentence?

P.S: I am aware of the I.C + , FANBOYS + I.C rule. I just wanted to assure whether it is also true conversely.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Deadpool3 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun, GMATNinja, VeritasKarishma, DmitryFarber MartyTargetTestPrep

Hope you all are doing great!

I have a doubt pertinent to option (B).
Can the subject missing in the second part of the option be counted as an error?

(B) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made, quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

Can we assume that the subject "Galileo" is implied in the second part of the sentence?

P.S: I am aware of the I.C + , FANBOYS + I.C rule. I just wanted to assure whether it is also true conversely.

We should have "he" before "quickly built".

IC - Galileo had not invented the telescope
+ comma + but
IC - when he heard..., quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

The main clause in the second IC is "he quickly built his own device ...". It should have a subject.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Hi all,

What type of modifier is "on hearing......had been made? Is it Noun + Noun modifier?

Thanks
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aproposof wrote:
Hi all,

What type of modifier is "on hearing......had been made? Is it Noun + Noun modifier?

Thanks

Hello aproposof,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "on hearing......had been made" is an adverbial modifier that acts upon the verb phrase "quickly built".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
aproposof wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks

Hello aproposof,

To answer your query, "on hearing......had been made" is an adverbial modifier that acts upon the verb phrase "quickly built".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hi!

Thanks for the response.

For the type itself, is it correct if I say that "on hearing" is a prepositional phrase? I'm having difficulty in understanding the structure of "on hearing" since it is not noun + noun (absolute phrase) nor a verb-ing modifiier.

Thanks
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
aproposof wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
aproposof wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks

Hello aproposof,

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hi!

Thanks for the response.

For the type itself, is it correct if I say that "on hearing" is a prepositional phrase? I'm having difficulty in understanding the structure of "on hearing" since it is not noun + noun (absolute phrase) nor a verb-ing modifiier.

Thanks

Hello aproposof,

To answer your query, "on hearing" is, indeed, a prepositional phrase.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
Hi all.

3. No errors.

PoE:

Thanks.
Shraddha

egmat
Thank you for your helpful explanation. I have two follow-up questions:
-"On hearing" seemed to be the wrong idiom and should be "when hearing"?
-Can you further explain how "There is co opposite things going on in here" for the answer choices in which you indicated that "even though" is incorrectly used? Simplifying the idea ---> even though he didn't invent the telescope, he made a telescope.... seems to be okay to me because invent vs. made (or replicated in this case) do seem to present a contrast.

Thank you again :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts