Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Re: Prevailing scholarly opinion holds that modern science began... [#permalink]
DensetsuNo wrote:
Prevailing scholarly opinion holds that modern science began with the great achievements of the scientific revolution of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Modern science should not, however, be identified with any particular set of scientific achievements. Rather, modern science should be identified with a particular way of approaching the study of nature, and many important elements of this approach were already in place and articulated as early as the fourteenth century. Jean Buridan, a prominent fourteenth-century Parisian scholar, argued that science is predicated on the assumption of the “common course of nature” This profound assumption represented a major shift in scholarly focus from the theological investigation of the uncommon or miraculous to the attempted explanation of the regular structure and operation of the world in purely rational and secular terms. Buridan also advocated the application of Occam’s razor, the principle that science should seek the simplest possible explanation that fits the evidence. The one important ingredient of modern science that was missing prior to the sixteenth century was the widespread use of experiments, and the scientific revolution of the sixteenth century began when scientists started to use experiments to discover new answers to questions that had already been pondered for several centuries.

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) qualify an established scholarly viewpoint regarding a certain issue
(B) summarize prevailing scholarly opinion regarding a certain issue
(C) delineate the historical events that led to a change in scholarly opinion
(D) reconcile conflicting viewpoints in a debate
(E) recommend further inquiry into a particular topic

2. According to the passage, which of the following constitutes prevailing scholarly opinion regarding the beginning of modern science?

(A) Many important elements of the modern approach to science were already in place in the fourteenth century
(B) The development of modern science was initiated by the pioneering work of Jean Buridan
(C) Modern science began with the widespread application of the principle of Occam's razor.
(D) Modern science began with a shift in focus from investigation of the miraculous to investigation of the regular operation of the world
(E) Modern science began with certain major achievements made during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries

3. It can be inferred from the passage that the author would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements concerning modern science?

(A) The use of experiments is the crucial factor enabling scientists to engage in what can properly be described as modern science.
(B) A certain set of scientific achievements had to be accomplished before scientists could engage in modern science.
(C) The scientific revolution of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries marks the beginning of what should be considered modern science.
(D) The origins of modern science can be traced back to the articulation of a particular approach to the study of nature.
(E) Any scientific experiments conducted before the sixteenth century were unlikely to reflect a focus on modern science

Hi GMATNinja, Answer D makes a lot of sense to me, but I haven't been able to understand why option A is wrong. I have read all the other posts concerning question 3, but I don't find their answers to my question very convincing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 899
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
Send PM
Re: Prevailing scholarly opinion holds that modern science began... [#permalink]
Please explain Why B is wrong for Q1/
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
junii wrote:
Please explain Why B is wrong for Q1/

Quote:

B is not a good choice because in this passage authour gives his opinion.

sectio1:
Prevailing scholarly opinion holds that modern science began with the great achievements of the scientific revolution of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. --scholar opinion
Modern science should not, however, be identified with any particular set of scientific achievements. Rather, modern science should be identified with a particular way of approaching the study of nature, and many important elements of this approach were already in place and articulated as early as the fourteenth century. --author opinion

section2:
Jean Buridan, a prominent fourteenth-century Parisian scholar, argued that science is predicated on the assumption of the “common course of nature” --scholar opinion
This profound assumption represented a major shift in scholarly focus from the theological investigation of the uncommon or miraculous to the attempted explanation of the regular structure and operation of the world in purely rational and secular terms. --author opinion

section3:
Buridan also advocated the application of Occam’s razor, the principle that science should seek the simplest possible explanation that fits the evidence. --scholar comments
The one important ingredient of modern science that was missing prior to the sixteenth century was the widespread use of experiments, and the scientific revolution of the sixteenth century began when scientists started to use experiments to discover new answers to questions that had already been pondered for several centuries.--author remarks

With this thought, it is very clear that there is no summary of scholar opinion

But this passage talks more of author opinion on scholar's comments/remarks

If you focus on section1 , it builds the theme of passage. Scholars say something but author doesn't agree with this . Section 2 and section3 explains more about this certain issue mentioned in section 1 (regarding began of modern science.)

You will find A among all other options most close to theme of this passage.

I hope it helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
giovannisumano wrote:
DensetsuNo wrote:
Prevailing scholarly opinion holds that modern science began with the great achievements of the scientific revolution of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Modern science should not, however, be identified with any particular set of scientific achievements. Rather, modern science should be identified with a particular way of approaching the study of nature, and many important elements of this approach were already in place and articulated as early as the fourteenth century. Jean Buridan, a prominent fourteenth-century Parisian scholar, argued that science is predicated on the assumption of the “common course of nature” This profound assumption represented a major shift in scholarly focus from the theological investigation of the uncommon or miraculous to the attempted explanation of the regular structure and operation of the world in purely rational and secular terms. Buridan also advocated the application of Occam’s razor, the principle that science should seek the simplest possible explanation that fits the evidence. The one important ingredient of modern science that was missing prior to the sixteenth century was the widespread use of experiments, and the scientific revolution of the sixteenth century began when scientists started to use experiments to discover new answers to questions that had already been pondered for several centuries.

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) qualify an established scholarly viewpoint regarding a certain issue
(C) delineate the historical events that led to a change in scholarly opinion
(D) reconcile conflicting viewpoints in a debate
(E) recommend further inquiry into a particular topic

2. According to the passage, which of the following constitutes prevailing scholarly opinion regarding the beginning of modern science?

(A) Many important elements of the modern approach to science were already in place in the fourteenth century
(B) The development of modern science was initiated by the pioneering work of Jean Buridan
(C) Modern science began with the widespread application of the principle of Occam's razor.
(D) Modern science began with a shift in focus from investigation of the miraculous to investigation of the regular operation of the world
(E) Modern science began with certain major achievements made during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries

3. It can be inferred from the passage that the author would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements concerning modern science?

(A) The use of experiments is the crucial factor enabling scientists to engage in what can properly be described as modern science.
(B) A certain set of scientific achievements had to be accomplished before scientists could engage in modern science.
(C) The scientific revolution of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries marks the beginning of what should be considered modern science.
(D) The origins of modern science can be traced back to the articulation of a particular approach to the study of nature.
(E) Any scientific experiments conducted before the sixteenth century were unlikely to reflect a focus on modern science

Hi GMATNinja, Answer D makes a lot of sense to me, but I haven't been able to understand why option A is wrong. I have read all the other posts concerning question 3, but I don't find their answers to my question very convincing.

I did the same mistake last time in selecting A.
But after expert reply, i was clear why A is wrong.

Read again A

Green part is right
the problem is in the red part

want to think for a moment?

Ok welcome back. Hope you have thought yourself by now.
You can verify your thought now:

What is question:3. It can be inferred from the passage that the author would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements concerning modern science?
So we need to give author is most likely to agree?
1. the scientific revolution of the sixteenth century began when scientists started to use experiment--so it doesn't mean with experiments , it can be properly regarded as modern science.
2. modern science should be identified with a particular way of approaching the study of nature-- author doesn't believe experiments are called as modern science.

In summary, author says modern science means particular way of approaching the study of nature but not as experiments . Experiments were something missing links in modern science but not as modern science.

Its good that you have no doubt in D. I did wrong in my first attempt :( , so in that way you are much way ahead than me for this passage :D

I hope it helps. :cool:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
EducationAisle please could you help me with Q3. (A) (C) and (D) totally confused. I went through the thread but wasn't convinced with the answers provided
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
EducationAisle please could you help me with Q3. (A) (C) and (D) totally confused. I went through the thread but wasn't convinced with the answers provided

Yeah..A and C are close..but according to the passage, it is just that the "use of experiments" (and not modern science itself) began in 16th century.

However, the author is of the opinion that modern science started much earlier (in 14th century); in 16th century, the only thing that happened was that an additional "component" (in the form of use of experiments) was added to Modern science.
Director
Director
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Hoozan wrote:

Yeah..A and C are close..but according to the passage, it is just that the "use of experiments" (and not modern science itself) began in 16th century.

However, the author is of the opinion that modern science started much earlier (in 14th century); in 16th century, the only thing that happened was that an additional "component" (in the form of use of experiments) was added to Modern science.

But one of the key components of modern science is experiments right? So until and unless we don't have this key component how can we state that 14 C.E. was the period when Modern science began?

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
But one of the key components of modern science is experiments right? So until and unless we don't have this key component how can we state that 14 C.E. was the period when Modern science began?

Well, the author says that modern science should be identified with a particular way of approaching the study of nature.

Further, the passage states that many important elements of this approach were already in place and articulated as early as the fourteenth century.
Director
Director
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Hoozan wrote:

Well, the author says that modern science should be identified with a particular way of approaching the study of nature.

Further, the passage states that many important elements of this approach were already in place and articulated as early as the fourteenth century.

True. But many important elements were present without the key element. So can we infer that without the key element (experiments) modern science can't begin from a particular period?

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Prevailing scholarly opinion holds that modern science began... [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
True. But many important elements were present without the key element. So can we infer that without the key element (experiments) modern science can't begin from a particular period?

Read A again Hoozan:

The use of experiments is the crucial factor enabling scientists to engage in what can properly be described as modern science.

The passage does not mention or allude anywhere that modern science was improper before the use of experiments. The use of experiments was just a crucial missing ingredient prior to the sixteenth century.

For all you know, many crucial ingredients have been added to modern science after the the sixteenth century also. Crucial ingredients getting successively added are all about evolution of modern science.

But what's being talked about in the passage, is the origin (and not the evolution) of modern science.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts