Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618848 [113]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [44]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
Tony: A short story is little more than a novelist's sketch pad. Only [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Tony: A short story is little more than a novelist's sketch pad. Only novels have narrative structures that allow writers to depict human lives accurately by portraying characters whose personalities gradually develop through life experience.

Raoul: Life consists not of a linear process of personality development, but rather of a series of completely disjointed vignettes, from many of which the discerning observer may catch glimpses of character. Thus, the short story depicts human lives more faithfully than does the novel.

The dialogue most supports the claim that Tony and Raoul disagree about whether

(A) human lives are best understood as series of completely disjointed vignettes

(B) novels and short stories employ the same strategies to depict human lives

(C) novels usually depict gradual changes in characters' personalities

(D) only short stories are used as novelists' sketch pads

(E) short stories provide glimpses of facts of character that are usually kept hidden

AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma TheGMATCo

Though i agree option A is the correct answer.Woud like to present my reasoning and request you to confirm whether the same is correct & correct the gaps in my understanding.

I feel there are 2 points over which both the author disagree:

1) TONY SAYS 'Only novels have narrative structures that allow writers to depict human lives accurately' whereas RAOUL SAYS: 'Thus, the short story depicts human lives more faithfully(i believe we can infer as 'ACCURATELY' than does the novel.'- So Both disagrees on whether Novel or Short stories depicts more accurately.

2) BOTH disagrees on the PROCESS THAT DEPICTS ACCURATELY i.e Tony believes-Novels have narrative structures & therefore depicts accurately of the gradual change.whereas RAOUL believes - Life consists not of a linear process of personality development, but rather of a series of completely disjointed vignettes,, from many of which the discerning observer may catch glimpses of character'-

Option A talk about disagreement of 2nd point i made above.

Kindly hep if my reasoning is correct since i am not confident enough. THANKS
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Tony: A short story is little more than a novelist's sketch pad. Only [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatassassin88 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Tony: A short story is little more than a novelist's sketch pad. Only novels have narrative structures that allow writers to depict human lives accurately by portraying characters whose personalities gradually develop through life experience.

Raoul: Life consists not of a linear process of personality development, but rather of a series of completely disjointed vignettes, from many of which the discerning observer may catch glimpses of character. Thus, the short story depicts human lives more faithfully than does the novel.

The dialogue most supports the claim that Tony and Raoul disagree about whether

(A) human lives are best understood as series of completely disjointed vignettes

(B) novels and short stories employ the same strategies to depict human lives

(D) only short stories are used as novelists' sketch pads

(E) short stories provide glimpses of facts of character that are usually kept hidden

AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma TheGMATCo

Though i agree option A is the correct answer.Woud like to present my reasoning and request you to confirm whether the same is correct & correct the gaps in my understanding.

I feel there are 2 points over which both the author disagree:

1) TONY SAYS 'Only novels have narrative structures that allow writers to depict human lives accurately' whereas RAOUL SAYS: 'Thus, the short story depicts human lives more faithfully(i believe we can infer as 'ACCURATELY' than does the novel.'- So Both disagrees on whether Novel or Short stories depicts more accurately.

2) BOTH disagrees on the PROCESS THAT DEPICTS ACCURATELY i.e Tony believes-Novels have narrative structures & therefore depicts accurately of the gradual change.whereas RAOUL believes - Life consists not of a linear process of personality development, but rather of a series of completely disjointed vignettes,, from many of which the discerning observer may catch glimpses of character'-

Option A talk about disagreement of 2nd point i made above.

Kindly hep if my reasoning is correct since i am not confident enough. THANKS

The thing they disagree on is whether life consists of 'gradual personality development' or 'series of completely disjointed vignettes'. Raoul's first sentence tells us this.
Whether novels or short stories are more appropriate to depict life stems from this difference itself.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Tony: A short story is little more than a novelist's sketch pad. Only [#permalink]
Tony: Prefer short story than novelist’s sketch pad. Novels shows gradual change of life experience .
Raoul: Because Life is not linear but it is series of disjointed vigneetts. Thus short story is better to depict human life.

Key point of disagreement :
Novel better because novels present gradual change
OR
Short story better because it represents series of disjointed sketches

Argument is keenly focus on how to present human lives. It is all about choosing novels or short stories for key decision making.

Whether
whether

As A statement is said by Raoul and disgreed by Tony, C statement is also said by Tony and disagreed by Raoul , is not it?

After reading explanation, I understand why A is answer. But could not turn head around why C is not answer.

Please suggest VeritasKarishma GMATNinja AndrewN sir.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Tony: Prefer short story than novelist’s sketch pad. Novels shows gradual change of life experience .
Raoul: Because Life is not linear but it is series of disjointed vigneetts. Thus short story is better to depict human life.

Key point of disagreement :
Novel better because novels present gradual change
OR
Short story better because it represents series of disjointed sketches

Argument is keenly focus on how to present human lives. It is all about choosing novels or short stories for key decision making.

Whether
whether

As A statement is said by Raoul and disgreed by Tony, C statement is also said by Tony and disagreed by Raoul , is not it?

After reading explanation, I understand why A is answer. But could not turn head around why C is not answer.

Please suggest VeritasKarishma GMATNinja AndrewN sir.

Hello again, imSKR. I think you are reading into an answer choice too much in (C). Where does Raoul discuss gradual changes in characters' personalities, particularly as such changes are depicted in novels? Nowhere. Instead, Raoul disagrees with the notion that real life plays out as a linear process. The focus is on how life plays out, not on the depiction of personality changes of characters in novels. Notice how choice (A) places the emphasis on human life in general, perfectly in accordance with what Tony and Raoul say:

Tony: only novels... allow writers to depict human lives accurately (my emphasis)

Raoul: the short story... depicts human lives more faithfully (again, my emphasis)

The novel/short story debate exists only as a vehicle to discuss the real issue, which is a bit more philosophical than I like to get with standardized test questions.

Thank you for calling my attention to the question. I am not sure which tag is correct, regarding the source. My bet is that it is an LSAT question.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
In the question stem 'the dialogue most supports the claim that T & R disagree about' how do we know that whether the question asks for collective disagreement or mutual disagreement?
In Option B, both collectively disagrees, whereas, in option A, R agree while T disagree.

Experts please help.
GMATNinja, TGC please help
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
parthgohel wrote:
In the question stem 'the dialogue most supports the claim that T & R disagree about' how do we know that whether the question asks for collective disagreement or mutual disagreement?
In Option B, both collectively disagrees, whereas, in option A, R agree while T disagree.

Experts please help.

Hi AndrewN sir

parthgohel has raised a valid point. i am also curious to know the answer.

Could you please suggest whether the question asks for collective disagreement or mutual disagreement?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 256
Send PM
Bunuel, shouldn't the question be "The dialogue most supports the claim that Tony and Raoul disagree from each other about whether" rather than "The dialogue most supports the claim that Tony and Raoul disagree about whether".
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
parthgohel wrote:

Experts please help.

Hi AndrewN sir

parthgohel has raised a valid point. i am also curious to know the answer.

Could you please suggest whether the question asks for collective disagreement or mutual disagreement?

Thanks!

Hello, mSKR (and, by extension, parthgohel). Your goal in breaking down a CR question is not to dissect the question itself, but to keep in mind that each one operates within a specific framework or type: strengthen, weaken, assumption, and so on. Here, you should be able to pick up from the passage that Tony and Raoul are not in agreement on whether short stories or novels more accurately reflect human experience. Thus, when you see a question that asks you to support the claim that Tony and Raoul disagree about something, you should not have to speculate on whether they would agree that reading something can encapsulate what a person experiences in real life, nor should you have to mull over the specifics of how the novel or short story may achieve such an end. The passage map—point-counterpoint—should steer you into the correct interpretation.

I know that you and I have talked before, mSKR, about pursuing a line of thought that entails less resistance. Just because an ambiguity in language can lead to more than one interpretation does not mean you should ignore evidence that provides support for one of those interpretations. Remind yourself that the GMAT™ is a standardized test, not an exam of deceit, at least in terms of question types.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
RachitMehrotra wrote:
Bunuel, shouldn't the question be "The dialogue most supports the claim that Tony and Raoul disagree from each other about whether" rather than "The dialogue most supports the claim that Tony and Raoul disagree about whether".

The phrase " from each other" (or "with each other") is not required. Who else could they disagree with?

To clarify further,
In some other passage, it may be the case that some people believe something, but X and Y disagree. In that case, X and Y together disagree with someone else. But in the current question, the passage does not talk of any people against whom Tony and Raoul are in combined disagreement.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Quote:

"The dialogue most supports the claim that Tony and Raoul disagree about whether..."

To answer the question, we need to find an answer choice that captures what the two speakers disagree about. In other words, it should split Tony and Raoul so that one falls on each side of the issue.

With that in mind, look at (A):
Quote:

Raoul would clearly agree with with statement -- according to him, life consists of " a series of completely disjointed vignettes, from many of which the discerning observer may catch glimpses of character."

Tony, on the other hand, would definitely argue against the information in answer choice (A) -- he thinks that "only novels have narrative structures that allow writers to depict human lives accurately," because the longer form allows the author to show gradual changes in personality.

Tony and Raoul are on opposite sides of the information in (A), so this answer choice captures the point over which they disagree.

Hi, GMATNinja

Agreed that answer is clearly the best of all choices. But I do have an issue with one word - human lives are best understood as...
The passage talks about the depiction of human life through novel/short stories. Is it ok to equate the understanding of human lives to depiction of human lives?
Depiction brings the author's view whereas Understanding brings the reader's view.

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51

Send PM
Expert Reply
dingodudesir wrote:
Quote:

"The dialogue most supports the claim that Tony and Raoul disagree about whether..."

To answer the question, we need to find an answer choice that captures what the two speakers disagree about. In other words, it should split Tony and Raoul so that one falls on each side of the issue.

With that in mind, look at (A):
Quote:

Raoul would clearly agree with with statement -- according to him, life consists of " a series of completely disjointed vignettes, from many of which the discerning observer may catch glimpses of character."

Tony, on the other hand, would definitely argue against the information in answer choice (A) -- he thinks that "only novels have narrative structures that allow writers to depict human lives accurately," because the longer form allows the author to show gradual changes in personality.

Tony and Raoul are on opposite sides of the information in (A), so this answer choice captures the point over which they disagree.

Hi, GMATNinja

Agreed that answer is clearly the best of all choices. But I do have an issue with one word - human lives are best understood as...
The passage talks about the depiction of human life through novel/short stories. Is it ok to equate the understanding of human lives to depiction of human lives?
Depiction brings the author's view whereas Understanding brings the reader's view.

Thanks in advance!

It’s true that there’s a difference between how human lives are depicted and how they are understood. But the way that human lives are best understood will presumably impact the way that human lives are best depicted. In other words, if human lives are best understood as a series of disjointed vignettes, then they are likely best depicted as such.

This is a good instance of where we have to be careful not to fall into mindless word-matching. Sure, understanding and depiction are two different things. But, in the context of the dialogue, they are closely interrelated. So, when we get beyond the fact that the passage and answer choice use two different words, we can see how the two concepts overlap.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hello GMATIntensive @TheGMATCo can you please break down this question and explain the differences between A, B, C? Thanks in advance
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi Experts

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep ExpertsGlobal5 IanStewart
other experts AnthonyRitz

Can someone please help me in explaining the argument and each answer choice.

I got this wrong as I was not able to understand anything in the argument.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [3]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51

GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Tony: A short story is little more than a novelist's sketch pad. Only [#permalink]
Kudos
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Hi Experts

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep ExpertsGlobal5 IanStewart
other experts AnthonyRitz

Can someone please help me in explaining the argument and each answer choice.

I got this wrong as I was not able to understand anything in the argument.

This is a Point at Issue question -- a sub-type of Inference. In Point at Issue questions, the correct answer is one about which the two speakers are committed to disagreeing. That is, a statement about which one person would say "definitely yes" but the other would say "definitely no" (or one would say "definitely red" whereas the other would say "definitely green," or whatever else).

To address some questions above, we're not asked what statement both speakers would "disagree with." We're asked what they would "disagree about" -- that is, what they do not see eye to eye on.

One other important note is that these questions, as a sub-type of Inference, require a high degree of certainty from their right answers. It is important to confirm your candidate answer by finding specific evidence from each party. That is, go back and find quotes from both people to confirm the disagreement. One person's "yes" against another person's silence is not enough to establish a point at issue.

Turning to this question specifically:

Tony definitely disagrees with the claim that "human lives are best understood as series of completely disjointed vignettes," given his comment that we "depict human lives accurately by portraying characters whose personalities gradually develop through life experience." Gradual development through experience is certainly not "completely disjointed vignettes."

Raoul, on the other hand, definitely agrees with the claim that "human lives are best understood as series of completely disjointed vignettes," since, you know, he explicitly says, "Life consists... of a series of completely disjointed vignettes."

Since the two parties are committed to opposing views on this statement, answer A is correct.

Other answers:

B say that "novels and short stories employ the same strategies to depict human lives." Tony definitely disagrees. Raoul's position is a bit murky, so perhaps he does not really address this at all. But if we read into the statement that "the short story depicts human lives more faithfully than does the novel" then, if anything, Raoul is on the same side as Tony; he similarly disagrees with the claim that "novels and short stories employ the same strategies to depict human lives." So B is not a point at issue: The two parties agree with one another.

C says that "novels usually depict gradual changes in characters' personalities." Tony definitely agrees. Raoul doesn't actually really speak to this at all. If anything, we might imagine that he most likely agrees with this statement as well. Either way, it's not a point at issue.

D says that "only short stories are used as novelists' sketch pads." Tony technically doesn't address this. He does say, "A short story is little more than a novelist's sketch pad," but he doesn't say that only short stories are used in this way. Raoul, for his part, says nothing at all about this. So it's not a point at issue.

E says that "short stories provide glimpses of facts of character that are usually kept hidden." Nobody says anything about this (especially the "usually kept hidden" bit). It's not a point at issue.

A is the only winning option here.

Originally posted by AnthonyRitz on 18 Nov 2021, 15:25.
Last edited by AnthonyRitz on 19 Nov 2021, 04:31, edited 3 times in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos