Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Geometryx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9680 [26]
Given Kudos: 38
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29920 [12]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16595 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: In the figure shown, is l1||l2 ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
parkhydel wrote:

In the figure shown, is \(l_1||l_2\) ?

(1) r = s
(2) t = u

DS48710.02

Attachment:
2020-04-28_1909.png

Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. For DS problems, the VA (Variable Approach) method is the quickest and easiest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember that equal numbers of variables and independent equations ensure a solution.
Visit https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/lesson for details.

The first step of the VA (Variable Approach) method is to modify the original condition and the question. We then recheck the question. We should simplify conditions if necessary.

Condition 1)
Angles r and s are vertical angles and they are always equal each other whatever r and s are. It means condition 1) tells nothing.

Since condition 1) does not yield a unique solution, it is not sufficient.

Condition 2)
Angles t and u are vertical angles and they are always equal each other whatever t and u are. It means condition 1) tells nothing.

Since condition 2) does not yield a unique solution, it is not sufficient.

Conditions 1) & 2)
Both conditions tell nothing.

Since both conditions together do not yield a unique solution, they are not sufficient.

Therefore, E is the answer.

If the original condition includes “1 variable”, or “2 variables and 1 equation”, or “3 variables and 2 equations” etc., one more equation is required to answer the question. If each of conditions 1) and 2) provide an additional equation, there is a 59% chance that D is the answer, a 38% chance that A or B is the answer, and a 3% chance that the answer is C or E. Thus, answer D (conditions 1) and 2), when applied separately, are sufficient to answer the question) is most likely, but there may be cases where the answer is A,B,C or E.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
In the figure shown, is l1||l2 ? [#permalink]
Top Contributor
Solution:
A new og 2021 question

St(1):- r = s

Vertically opposite angles in any two intersecting lines are equal.

It does not give us enough information to determine if l1 || l2 (Insufficient)

St(2):-t = u

Vertically opposite angles in any two intersecting lines are equal.

It does not give us enough information two determine if l1 || l2 (Insufficient)

Combining both;

r=s and t = u are true for two intersecting lines (Vertically opposite angles in intersecting lines are equal)

However, no unique information can be deduced for angles s and t / r and u. (Insufficient) option (e)

Hope this helps :thumbsup:
Devmitra Sen (GMAT Quant Expert
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
parkhydel wrote:

In the figure shown, is \(\ell_1 \parallel \ell_2\) ?

(1) r = s
(2) t = u

DS48710.02

Attachment:
2020-04-28_1909.png

Wanna make solving the Official Questions interesting???

Click here and solve 1000+ Official Questions with Video solutions as Timed Sectional Tests
and Dedicated Data Sufficiency (DS) Course

Answer: Option E

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK HERE.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5900
Send PM
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
parkhydel wrote:

In the figure shown, is \(l_1||l_2\) ?

(1) r = s
(2) t = u
Attachment:
2020-04-28_1909.png

Target question: In the figure shown, is \(l_1||l_2\) ?

When I SCAN the two statements, I can see that statement 1 tells me about 2 angles created by the intersection of line_1 and line m
And statement 2 tells me about 2 angles created by the intersection of line_2 and line m
Since none of the information relates line_1 and line_2, I’m pretty sure I can identify some cases with conflicting answers to the target question.
So, I’m going to head straight to……

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Key concept: For ANY 2 intersecting lines, the opposite angles will ALWAYS be equal

There are several scenarios that satisfy BOTH statements. Here are two:
Case a:

In this case, the answer to the target question is YES, of the two lines ARE parallel

Case b:

In this case, the answer to the target question is NO, of the two lines are NOT parallel

Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent

RELATED VIDEO

Hi BrentGMATPrepNow, to clarify so opposite angles are always equeal regardless of the two lines are parallel or not.
So in order for two lines to parallel, does it mean that if 140+40 (within L1 & L2) = 180 ? or 40 above L1 = 40 above line 2? or what else? Thanks Brent
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM