Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Re: Doubt regarding GPA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ieosorio:

Responding line by line:

"My follow-up question would be: assuming the worse conversion (GPA = 2.6 or 2.7), how could I compensate for that in my application?"

If your GPA is in fact around a 2.7, unfortunately I am not sure there is much you can do to unscramble that egg. It's just too big of a factor and too much of an objective one (within reason) to outweigh. You would have to ace every other component on your application to give yourself a puncher's chance. These schools have so many qualified candidates that it's hard for them to pick someone with such a low score when they can pick people with higher scores and many similar non-GPA qualities. If you are still intent on trying to do whatever you can, focus on extracurricular achievements, work accomplishments, networking with the school, and securing excellent letters of recommendation.

"Also, does that GPA potentially thwart the possibilities of getting accepted at a top10 program?"

Yes, it is going to make it extremely difficult. Just look at the averages and ranges of GPAs for those top programs and you basically have your answer. Are you by any chance coming from an underrepresented group or have a truly unique life story? Those, plus an significant alumni connections, are basically the only real ace-in-the-holes one would have to make up for such a low GPA.

"Is there a GMAT score that could offset that record? Or should I focus more on explaining correctly the attenuating circumstances that led to that score in the optional essays (family problems)?"

I am not sure those are genuine trade-offs. How long is it going to take you to explain the circumstances? You could focus on the GMAT and write a supplemental essay without having to worry about time.

If I were you, I would pick a couple of schools in the Top 10 and then drop your list to include the Top 25 schools. You could also consider other types of masters programs if you are concerned about having a particular brand name on your resume.

We're here to help if you want to discuss in more detail:
https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/

Good luck,
Admissionado
Current Student
Send PM
Doubt regarding GPA [#permalink]
Hi Admissionado,

Thank you for your inputs, it's quite clear.

From what I've been able to research, I'm confident that a fair representation of my GPA would be around a 3.0. That, of course, is low. However, I have attenuating circumstances that explain that grade, and my last 5 semesters I had a GPA consistently around 3.7-4.0. I'm hoping that those factors, along with a fairly impeccable work record, and the fact that I'm latino, will improve my chances at least at the lower range of the top 10 list.

I will 100% consider your advice on expanding my list a little further below the top 10.

Thanks again,
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ieosorio:

That's helpful to know. It sounds like the admissions committees will have some contemplation when it comes to your application and GPA. You should absolutely mention these extenuating circumstances in your optional essay.

Still, as a precaution, I wouldn't fixate totally on the Top 10 unless it's "Top 10 or bust" for you. I am not entirely confident that your recent performance and the explanation will be sufficient, though it's certainly better than having neither.

Again, please don't hesitate to reach out for help as you get closer to applying.

Best,
Admissionado
Current Student
Send PM
Thank you Admissionado !
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts