Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GRE 1: Q164 V153
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: GMAT 770 - Q50, V47, IR4. IR too low? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Congratulations, prefshares, on a fine GMAT™ performance. Although I am NOT an admissions consultant, I can offer an informed opinion as a tutor. Two of my clients have gotten into such schools with an IR score no greater than 4, not to mention lower total scores. As far as the GMAT™ goes, the total score is what counts, just as others have said above. Keep in mind, though, that the exam is merely one component of your application package. It would be a good idea to get some feedback on your candidate profile from these same admissions consultants.

I hope you may take the time to post a debrief, since the community is always curious about poring over anything from someone who earned a top score. Whatever you decide, though, good luck with your endeavors.

- Andrew
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi prefshares,

First and foremost, congratulations on a wow score! :)

Your IR score of 4 is unlikely to endanger your application.

B-schools do not consider your AWA and IR scores separately but rather as part of your overall GMAT results. And your 770 should be able to compensate for the 4. However, in interviews, you might have to justify your low score.

The next thing you can do is connect to your target schools and ask how they interpret IR scores. You can also question them directly if your low IR score, considering your high GMAT score, raises a red flag and what you can do about it.

All the best!

If you have any concerns with your application, we are happy to hop on a call with you to discuss your profile in length and your further chances to b-school. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Let’s maximize your chances in Round 1 for fall intake

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525

prefshares wrote:
For reference, I had a 4.0 undergraduate GPA from the University of Georgia. I majored in Finance and Accounting. Went to do bulge bracket Investment Banking, and am now at a large hedge fund.

Target schools = Stanford and Harvard.

Will my low IR score be a red flag? Th two test takers beside me started on their essay sections right as I was starting IR, and it was difficult to focus with their keyboards clicking. Should I consider retaking in order to bring my IR up?

Posted from my mobile device
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
prefshares wrote:
For reference, I had a 4.0 undergraduate GPA from the University of Georgia. I majored in Finance and Accounting. Went to do bulge bracket Investment Banking, and am now at a large hedge fund.

Will my low IR score be a red flag? Th two test takers beside me started on their essay sections right as I was starting IR, and it was difficult to focus with their keyboards clicking. Should I consider retaking in order to bring my IR up?

Hi prefshares,

Congrats on the strong overall score. Since you scored very high on Quant with a lower IR, it should be fine. If you plan to apply in Round 1 this fall, I would not suggest spending a lot of time preparing for a retake only to get a 5 vs 4 on IR. At this point, particularly because Harvard has announced that its essay will not be changing, I suggest directing your attention to the essays.

If you are looking for help putting together strong applications for Stanford and Harvard, take a look at Personal MBA Coach’s comprehensive packages to learn how we can help enhance your candidacy, and do not hesitate to send a note to scott@personalmbacoach.com. Personal MBA Coach works with lots of finance professionals and would be happy to help set you up for success.

Regards,
Personal MBA Coach
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
prefshares wrote:

Hi prefshares

You have a GPA of 4.0, and a strong overall score of 770. The IR score should not be a factor here.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
prefshares wrote:

Hi prefshares,

You have a strong GMAT score and should not be concerned about your IR score at all. Schools are mainly concerned with your quant and verbal scores.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot